Cows Beef MEAT!

More
9 years 4 months ago #498606 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Cows Beef MEAT!

ravenseyes;504147 wrote: I love my dexters - they taste good. If it helps I just had my dexter 2.5 year old steer done. His hook weight was 220 kg.

I think that animals that grow fast are of benefit insofar they become cheaper to keep overall
Our low-line x jersey steers at 14 months were 150kg hook weight, they were raised on powdered milk, weaned early [about 11 weeks], fed no hay or hard feed over the winter.
That compared with my neighbours 20 month dexter steer who ended up with the same hook weight as our and was cow raised.
How quickly an animal will finish to a killing weight will impact considerably on the cost of keeping an animal. Running it through two winters will cost substantially more than running it through one as most people do need to give their animals some form of winter top up
The low line also has a high meat to bone ratio as it is not a big boned animal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498627 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Cows Beef MEAT!

muri;504192 wrote:
I think that animals that grow fast are of benefit insofar they become cheaper to keep overall
Our low-line x jersey steers at 14 months were 150kg hook weight, they were raised on powdered milk, weaned early [about 11 weeks], fed no hay or hard feed over the winter.
That compared with my neighbours 20 month dexter steer who ended up with the same hook weight as our and was cow raised.
How quickly an animal will finish to a killing weight will impact considerably on the cost of keeping an animal. Running it through two winters will cost substantially more than running it through one as most people do need to give their animals some form of winter top up
The low line also has a high meat to bone ratio as it is not a big boned animal

Thats one of the reasons we have in recent years only kept heifers -faster to finish & most people only need meat for 2. Last yr was the first my parents didnt provide beef for staff(except for 1 whos been over working for them for over 10 yrs) as they were having to keep so many to have enough for the number of staff plus extras incase of any deaths so it was another mob to look after & feed....although they let me keep some & I have reared 2 for us & 2 for them this year....mix colour white faces this yr(always been angus x jersey b4)...the WF were cheap as not well marked but still polled & after this yr discovering 2 angus x with the bulls we ary trying to make it even easier for people who cant tell between a beefie & a dairy heifer

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 4 months ago #498634 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Cows Beef MEAT!
I agree katie B, most people get steers which are usually more expensive than heifers.
I think the problem with heifers is that people run them too long so they go to fat and then they get marked down at the meat works.
This year we have heifers which we will also only run for just over a year as I dont want to carry them through the full winter. 85 kilo is more than enough meat for my small household and a young animal provides lovely meat that is free of fat

More
9 years 4 months ago #498646 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Cows Beef MEAT!
I popped some of my yearlings over the scales a couple of weeks ago....smallest which wouldve just turned 1 was 270...others were 300-330kgs

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 4 months ago #498647 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Cows Beef MEAT!
I like fat. Can't go past a Jersey cross with plenty of deep rich yellow fat. I reserve the surplus fat for cooking with.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498655 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Cows Beef MEAT!
Gosh katieb, 330kgs is more like our 8mth weaning weight for straight beef!
Just shows what dairy influence can do!

I weighed my yearlings on Sunday, August born so 15 months old, and already in calf, lightest was 474kgs (2 year old heifers first calf) heaviest heifer August born 520kgs, and the bull 602kgs.

No meal, no pellets, no baleage, just milk followed by grass and a bit of hay in June/July/August. I reckon they would grade P2 and be worth about $1600 in the works right now! You can buy an awful lot of good meat for $1600!

Maximum kgs in minimum time would be the most effective and efficient way, whatever the breed. Bit the same with chickens, the faster they grow the cheaper per kg to produce!
Yes I know, flavour comes with age and fatness but surely if you are growing meat for the table and for selling to the works, it would pay to have a faster rather than a slower growing animal

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498661 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cows Beef MEAT!
My yearlings, after a hard winter, are around that sort of weight. They ought to be 300kg or so by now (this is the heifers) but it's been tougher than I had planned for in terms of pasture availability.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds