Shavers stopped laying

More
9 years 5 months ago #38739 by smurfette
A few days ago all 8 of our shavers stopped laying. Not one egg from them since. We usually get around 6 eggs a day from them. The Orpies in the next pen are still laying. We've checked for rats but nothing and I guess if there was, they would be taking the Orpies eggs too? We got the Shavers around a year or so ago if my memory serves me right (which it has been known not too:rolleyes:) and they were rescue ones that we fed up and they continued laying.
Can anyone help? or have they just expired their egg supply and are ready for the pot? They have done very well I'm pleased to say. :) :)

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498317 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Shavers stopped laying
Emmmmmm, my Shavers have dropped their egg production in half, usually 18-22 eggs everyday, then suddenly 11-12, I'm thinking, hot weather? Change of brand of food, nope, egg eating, no signs. Moulting, some look to be, but then have been for a while. Emmm, I will just watch and wait.

How old are yours or are you not sure? Funny that they all stopped at exactly the same time, if your thinking age.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498323 by smurfette
Replied by smurfette on topic Shavers stopped laying
Deanna, I've just gone back and worked out their age and they would be approx just under 3 years old if they were in fact 18 mnths old when we got them like we were told. No change in diet, not moulting, hubby reacons it's the weather but I don't agree otherwise why hasn't it affected the other chooks. Yes, strange that they have all stopped at the same time.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498324 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Shavers stopped laying
My immediate thought is the nests are being robbed. I think its highly unlikely that they would all stop laying at exactly the same time, in my experience they taper off one by one..... Are the other chooks laying in the same place? Is the house absolutely secure? Possums rob nests too.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 5 months ago #498326 by smurfette
Anakei, no possums here, the Orpies are right beside them and only a 3/4 high door parting their nesting barrels. no evidence of rats as we keep a vigilant look out for them and have bait down too.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498327 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Shavers stopped laying
When did the shavers last have a break from laying? Did they lay during the winter and did the Orpingtons have a winter break and moult. The difference can be due to their different laying cycles. What and how much feed are they getting? Commercial layers like Shavers can be far more sensitive to changes in availability of protein and energy to support the high demand on a small body with a high egg out put.Unless the weather is suddenly very hot, or suddenly cold, it is unlikely to affect egg production, especially at this time of year.
I would think that a day without water or feed is a more possible cause of them to stop laying.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498337 by smurfette
Sue, nothing has changed as to their feed/water etc. they stopped over winter as did the Orpies and had a moult. We are going to get a few of them and put in another pen and see what happens. If those ones lay then we know there is a thief, so will give that a try....will let you know what happens....thanks

More
9 years 4 months ago #498749 by smurfette
moved 4 shavers and still no eggs :-( might put out the chopping block.....that usually works

More
9 years 4 months ago #498754 by Deanna
Last resort some dog roll.

I have changed feed recently, but to one I have used before. And egg laying has halved. I checked the protein levels, and they are the same. So either the mix is not as printed or it is a coincidence.

But I recall this issue before, and mixed the bags last time I think. Its a bother!:confused:

I do know the chooks don't prefer them, as the pellets are bigger, other times I have had these pellets, I have never been able to transition chicks from crumble to them, I've had to buy a brand that are smaller.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498816 by eer5032
Replied by eer5032 on topic Shavers stopped laying
Just a guess but I've read if they have a bad case of red mites they may be anaemic and stop laying...? Would explain why the others in pen next door are ok...?

More
9 years 4 months ago #498822 by Deanna

eer5032;504419 wrote: Just a guess but I've read if they have a bad case of red mites they may be anaemic and stop laying...? Would explain why the others in pen next door are ok...?

Do you think you have mites? I have smite for Christmas around my coops, never had mites.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499132 by smurfette
one of the four we shifted has been laying everyday now for about 5 days. Will put them all back together and re check for mites. use flea powder in nests and on floor regularly(sp?) and haven't seen any as can see them on eggs when collected (hahaha don't get any eggs duh lol) but will check :-)
Thanks everyone, will keep updated

More
9 years 4 months ago #499174 by Achelois
Replied by Achelois on topic Shavers stopped laying
How many days have they been off-lay? I have mainly heritage breeds but they often take a day or two off if there's a sudden cold snap (even though we're coming into Summer, it's the sudden change in temp to cold that seems to put them off). They had a day or two over the last fortnight like that then went back to lay.

Not worms?

More
9 years 4 months ago #499661 by smurfette
Achelois....they probably stopped laying for a couple of weeks. no worms.

We now have 2 laying (about a week now)from the ones we separated but nothing more.
We have 8 shavers, so only 2 laying.
Have around 10 Orpies and only 2 laying as well. Our little Faverol banty is showing everyone up. 1 egg a day with out delay.(the 4 shavers were moved in with her and those are the 2 that are laying)
I had to BUY eggs the other week. OMG will probably have to buy more for xmas.
Food/water hasn't changed,they've never reacted to the weather changing, no rodents, no mites, no worms, ...NO EGGS....stupid chooks
will have to put it down to 'just another mystery'.
Bit annoying though....

More
9 years 4 months ago #499669 by Deanna
I worked out what was wrong with mine. I changed the brand of food, and now recall the same thing happening when I bought this food along time ago. Strangely the protein rate is 'apparently' the same. But, the pellets are twice the size. So all I can say is either the girls don't like them or the protein level is wrong. Within 3 days I giving the Shaver X back their old feed, their laying had doubled.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds