Doe rejecting kid

More
9 years 5 months ago #38672 by cranky
Doe rejecting kid was created by cranky
This morning we had a kid doe born, mum has had nothing to do with the kid all day, I have been watching from a distance, mum has been standing in a corner of the shelter with the kid in another corner, every time the kid calls mum will answer her but that is all mum will do. Mum will not let the kid feed, if the kid goes near mum, mum will jump away from the kid. I reluctantly took the kid away about 6.30pm and she is now inside with us. Did I do the right thing? Mum is a first time kidder. We have bottle fed the kid some colostrum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497655 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Doe rejecting kid
Yes, no, maybe ..... your choice:-).
Not allowing the first baby to suckle is quite usual, because it is a new experience, with a sore udder, with teeth that may be sharp. You should have and still should, today ...
1. Get a container to milk the goat into. We use the plastic bottle that is used for bottle feeding.
2. Catch goat and put her into the shearing position, so you will need assistance.
3. With damp or greasy fingers massage the milk down into the teat then squirt it into the bottle. After you have removed 100 ml or so, catch the kid, lie it on it's side and attach it to the teat.
4. Repeat 3 on the other side.
5. Finish off by feeding as much of the milk in the bottle as the kid wants.
6. Leave goat and kid together in a pen for the night, with some pellets, hay and water.
7. In the morning, milk goat again. If it can be done standing then good, otherwise in the shearing position.
8. Stand goat up and try to latch the kid on. Afterwards, feed the kid as much of the milk as it wants.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497656 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Doe rejecting kid
I wouldn't have taken the kid away. First time does are sometimes idiots and don't know they need to feed their kid. Once you've got the kid on the teat once both mum and baby usually settle down.

If it were me I'd take the kid back to the doe, hold the doe and latch the kid on if it has a strong enough suck reflex. Keep the doe and kid together overnight and for the next while until they bond. If they kid doesn't have a strong suck reflex then milk the doe and tube feed it to the kid.

Unlike LR, I never put a doe in the shearing position, I grovel on the floor with the kid and milk the doe that way if necessary.

It is a lot easier to get a kid latched onto a doe than it is to bottle feed it for months....and both doe and kid will be happier together.

I probably help latch on three or four kids each season as their mums aren't doing their jobs properly. Only once have I had a real rejection that lasted past the first couple of feeds....

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
9 years 5 months ago #497658 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Doe rejecting kid
We did have a lamb that absolutely refused to feed off mum, even though mum wanted her to .....
And a kid that had lost it's mum before it had suckled, that had to be tube fed for about 3 weeks before she learnt to suck .....

More
9 years 5 months ago #497661 by cranky
Replied by cranky on topic Doe rejecting kid
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to put the kid back with the doe, (I don't really want to bottle feed) much to the dismay of the kids n hubby, since I'll be the one doing all the feeding it was a easy decision for me. I'll see how they look in the morning.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497662 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Doe rejecting kid
I think that's the right thing to do but you have to make the doe feed the kid, she won't just do it and the kid needs to get as much colostrum as it can at this point. So early tomorrow hold the doe and get the kid to feed.

Bottle feeding is a nightmare...really :D Much better to for you, the doe and the kid for them to get it sorted. Sometimes the doe makes a fuss, particularly a first-timer but once they get the hang of it they're really happy.

What breed of goat is she?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
9 years 5 months ago #497687 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Doe rejecting kid
Yes, you MUST get the kid a feed, or she will become weak and dehydrated very quickly, not to mention the fact that she will be needing colostrum. We have this happen periodically, most often with first timers who are, as Kate says, idiots. If the kid is vigourous and with a strong sucking reflex, get the kid to suck from the mum, no matter how many people it takes. It's just really important that everyone stay quiet and calm, so as not to raise the doe's stress level, which is already up from the whole new experience and sensation. We had one doe this year who was a first time. She loves her baby to bits, cleaned her off very well, was all ready to let her baby have a feed until baby latched on. You could just see her eyes bug out at the sensation of it, and her flanked twitched because it was probably ticklish. I mean heck, it took me over a week to finally get comfortable with breastfeeding my first child. Just help the doe persevere. It'll take time and patience, but the sooner you act, the better, and the longer you wait the more chance you have of a dead kid and a seriously engorged mum running the risk of mastitis.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497790 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Doe rejecting kid
Just noticed this thread. How did you get on? We had a ewe who wouldn't feed her lamb this season. The children caught her three times a day and made her feed it. After three weeks of this performance the ewe decided she'd had enough of being tackled and sat on by children and started feeding the lamb voluntarily. They are now back in with the main mob and both doing well.
As Kate says your first time doe might have just needed some education. One of ours kidded for the first time this season and I found her newborn twins hanging around with a yearling heifer and mum way down the paddock.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497905 by cranky
Replied by cranky on topic Doe rejecting kid
So we are milking out the doe, yay! A new skill for me :) we have had a tough week as it seems that the kid is fluffing about on the teat [?] and we think this is why the doe isn't keen to fed, the doe still doesn't like the kid in the pen with her but we will perserve :D .

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds