4 month old weaner calves - scours - help please!

More
9 years 5 months ago #38617 by vjp
Hi

Over the last day I have noticed one of the calves with scours. Runny brown consistency. This morning was watery and then just now runny greeny brown. A little bit of straining.

They had been in the large paddock where there is a lot of fresh spring growth. I had been supplement with the 20% protein feed. I've stopped the feed and put them into the smaller paddock where the grass isn't as lush.

I've got anti scours and calf revive. I'll drench them again today (last done 6 weeks sgo)

Calf looks bright and is feeding well.

Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497243 by katieb
take a sample of the scour into the vet first thing in the morning, if you have given any ABs then it might not show if what it is if something that can be killed by ABs. Take sample now & put in fridge...use a clean jam jar or similar

Could be coccidiosis or yesenia or salmonella, a course of antibiotics will cure yesenia & samonella, coccidiosis needs baycox

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 5 months ago #497244 by muri
I would feed them hay if they will eat it.
Have the calves been vaccinated, 5 in 1 or similar with a follow up a month later?

More
9 years 5 months ago #497280 by kindajojo
Could also be just the lush spring grass....

More
9 years 5 months ago #497284 by katieb

kindajojo;502705 wrote: Could also be just the lush spring grass....

Straining isnt right though

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 5 months ago #497286 by katieb

katieb;502709 wrote: Straining isnt right though

If it was mine I would know what was wrong & treat it as ive had quite a bit of experience(I got told this morning I had good animal health knowledge which was nice to hear & yesterday the vet didnt think he needed to come out to a cow I thought had samonella after I told him all the info over the phone incl age, gutfill, description of poo, eyes, ears, udder & temp as well as what I planned on giving her)

My advice is take a sample to the vets or get the vet out asap, calves of that age can go downhill quickly

More
9 years 5 months ago #497354 by LongRidge
Very likely to be worms at that age and this time of the year. Thus if it were mine, the first treatment would be with anthelmintic. I would guess the weight at 150 kg (probably less, very unlikely to be more, but with drenches it is far better to slightly over-drench rather than slightly under-drench).
If you have sheep drench and a sheep drench gun, oral drenching at this age is easy enough and works better than pour-on and injection. Do you have any sheep drench and a working drench gun?

More
9 years 5 months ago #497355 by katieb
If being moved to fresh grass often & not grazing very low as well as being fed meal there shouldnt be a worm burdon, but maybe they arent being moved that often so there is but I dont believe that is the cause of this watery scour

More
9 years 5 months ago #497359 by LongRidge
Yes, but.....
1. worms can climb 100 mm up grass leaves without much effort
2. a worm drench is very easy to do, is cheap, will not cause harm if no worms are present, so is worth a try.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497390 by katieb
Yes I know a worm drench is a good idea but im trying to make sure the poster & other readers dont assume a watery scour will be cured by a drench & the drench then wait a few days for the calfs poo to firm up & the calf gets worse

vjp hows the calf?

More
9 years 5 months ago #497395 by Bunter
I see you have already drenched them. Did you use a drench that covered them for Cooperia ? We got caught out with that a number of years ago. Previously we have also had them with Coccidiosis, and had a protein scour from lots of fresh grass and 20% pellet for a bit too long.

Treatment with the wrong thing can be as expensive a test, and some tests can be carried out fairly easily - so doesn't hurt to talk to your vet and see what they recommend.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds