Guy Fawkes is coming

More
9 years 6 months ago #497201 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
Mum now lives in Pukekohe and she reported last night there were two lots, one at 8pm and another around midnight. Its my understanding there are no public displays of fireworks in Pukekohe now.

Not sure why children need to see fireworks at midnight in October/November, so there is certainly a need for fair regulation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497232 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
4 fire engines to the Trusts Stadium at Waitakere last night when their managed display for the community became somewhat unmanaged

More
9 years 6 months ago #497235 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
We are very very lucky here. We are one of two small blocks in the middle of 3 very large farms. No fireworks let off out here !!
The only time we have fire works is if some one demolishes a shed. Then its heaped up and burnt, with all the neighbours attending and there is fireworks then, with a barbeque and a few drinks. Seems its a local tradition. It has only happened twice in the 10 years we have been here.
But this year will be interesting as we have newbies just moved into the other small block so will be watching to see what they do

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
9 years 6 months ago #497285 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I read in the news that a horse has been killed after being spooked by fireworks. It went through a fence and ran up the middle of the road where a car hit and killed it. How traumatic.

I hate fireworks with a passion. I can hear some going off in the distance tonight, am I wrong but are they not yet for sale?

Stupid things that they are. My kids have given up asking for them as they know why I hate them and the damage they can cause.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497287 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
on sale today as one of our workers bought some to take to his friends place

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 6 months ago #497303 by max2
Some were let off locally at midnight last night. I mean really, who would have been awake (certainly not school children I would hope) to get any enjoyment out of them?

That is the sort of behaviour that pings me off about this. People should be able to have them on one night at a reasonable time, but not letting them off at any time in the week leading up to GF.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497307 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
Sad thing is, they are only on sale for the next few days but can be let off any day.

How can livestock owners be expected to "protect" their stock not knowing when it will happen?

Did I hear that John Key says that they could be banned in a year?????
Found it ..... here

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
9 years 6 months ago #497313 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I don't support banning them completely, but I do think you should need an explosives license to buy them as after all that is what they are.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497318 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming

kai;502740 wrote: I don't support banning them completely, but I do think you should need an explosives license to buy them as after all that is what they are.

I'm tired of things being banned because of a few bad eggs. Following down this path alcohol is a drug, and should require a prescription. The people who dick around with fireworks would likely find other ways to dick around if that avenue was denied them. Better to police usage and punish antisocial behaviour IMO.

Personally, I believe they sucked the fun out of fireworks when they banned crackers. When I lived in China, people would buy these things by the thousands and let them off in the street, leaving a snowfall of cracker wrappers to wade through. Good times.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497324 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
We got invited to a guy fawkes & bonfire thing on Wed, the people have a dog, cats, cattle & horses so I mentiond they would be scared & they said we will just put them in the far paddock(they have 8 acres!) & I asked if they were going to tell the LSBs across the road from them with lots of different types of animals...I dont think they had thought of it....maybe they dont realise how scared animals get...ive seen horses scared of them & they could only hear them.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 6 months ago #497328 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Guy Fawkes is coming

spoook;502733 wrote:
Did I hear that John Key says that they could be banned in a year?????
Found it ..... here

Is he the bloke who said they wouldnt sell more assets before the election and is now going to sell our state houses? His name sounds familiar to me

More
9 years 6 months ago #497329 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I am not going to say which side I lean towards on this issue but wish to point out for the sake of discussion the difference between firearms which produce a loud bang and a small byproduct muzzle flash when used in the dark, and fireworks which produce a lot more flash and sometimes less bang and are most effective when used in the dark.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497330 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
"A ban on the personal sale of fireworks - which began yesterday - is to be considered by a parliamentary select committee this Wednesday, November 5 - Guy Fawkes Day.
It comes after a petition from Ponsonby film-maker Charlotte Purdy, who gathered 25,000 signatures through an online petition." NZ Herald

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497339 by max2
I can't believe how many outlets are selling them. I also wonder how many families will be purchasing them whilst struggling (?) to feed their family?

More
9 years 6 months ago #497385 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming

max2;502766 wrote: I can't believe how many outlets are selling them. I also wonder how many families will be purchasing them whilst struggling (?) to feed their family?

There's a similar argument to be made for KFC.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds