Guy Fawkes is coming

More
9 years 6 months ago #38602 by Baroque
Guy Fawkes is coming was created by Baroque
Yet another year comes along where they have failed to ban public sales of fireworks and we are at the mercy of idiots who set them off at all times of the day and night for weeks and weeks with no regard for people or livestock. [:(!]

Unfortunately in our rural area there are still many people who simply do not give a toss about their neighbours and continue to behave like complete idiots at this time of the year and its us and all our animals who suffer. [:(!]

I do hope all the members of LSB keep safe and their animals are not affected this year. All I can suggest is to keep your outside lights on around the property so sensitive animals are not surprised too much by dazzling bursts of light and move stock away from boundaries which are close to where people will set these things off.

Good luck!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497126 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I'm all in favour of ending Guy Fawkes. Even though many of us are decended from English peoples, I feel that this celebration has no relevance to us anymore. We have good national days, like Waitangi and Anniversary days, which would be a better substitute, and I'd prefer to see public displays, rather than individuals setting fireworks off.
This would be equally important for Diwali and also the Chinese New Year where such prolonged pyromania has taken place with individuals. I don't want to sound like a killjoy as I like fireworks too, but I have seen what it does to animals which are terrified by it all.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #497127 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I hate it.
Last year my neighbour was who has lots of ponies, lit a huge bonfire with huge rockets etc right on my boundary and away from her own animals.
My little calf jumped a fence and ran away and i had to go around in the middle of the night with torches and posse to bring him back.
The sheep were scared witless.
There is a communal one for our neighbourhood and I just wish they would ban private sales.
We all decry acts of terrorism, and then we celebrate Guy Fawkes, one of the biggest terrorist acts of its time
They worry so much about the road toll, vaccinating people for measles etc, but allow them to set fire to houses, people and animals without changing the laws.
Something very wrong there

More
9 years 6 months ago #497130 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
There has been some heated debate on a community group that I belong to. Some of it has even got to the point of where I think a handful of people will actually go out of their way to annoy further than orginally planned to do.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497133 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I am with the ban them brigade too ....Mo is the most sane and sweet horse around and last year was her first taste of guy fawkes (won't even give it capital letters) as prior to this we have been in farming areas that are not populated like here and no fireworks close enough to be a bother ......last year she was a blathering sweat bag by the time they finished ...I stayed with her for most of the night ...and then to top it off ...the blooming crackers went on and on every other weekend for weeks[:(!] ...
I signed the petition but for some reason the govt does not think it worthy of doing anything about it :( My sheep were all in the furtherest paddock away from the houses and still freaked out and huddled into a corner ...it is a ludicrous waste of money and such a stupid thing to celebrate [:(!]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 6 months ago #497137 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I have absolutely no problem with having a single night each year where fireworks are set off. Problem is the idiots (they walk among us) always spoil it for the rest. Fireworks season starts as soon as sales start and continues randomly for months afterwards. After the fire service call outs, ACC claims, burns and injuries (people and animals) you have to wonder why we haven't banned them already.

When I was a kid we used to go down to the Mataura River where the school put on a professional fireworks show. Paid entry with single or family rates - was well worth it for the excellent show they put on. Tidy little money spinner for the school too. The fireworks they let off left the 'snap crackle pop' boxes from the Warehouse for dead.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497138 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Guy Fawkes is coming

muri;502529 wrote:
We all decry acts of terrorism, and then we celebrate Guy Fawkes, one of the biggest terrorist acts of its time

Actually you have got it wrong it is a celebration of the prevention of a big terrorist plot being carried out.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497139 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Guy Fawkes is coming

kai;502540 wrote: Actually you have got it wrong it is a celebration of the prevention of a big terrorist plot being carried out.

Haha, lots of people get this wrong. I think it's more natural for us to celebrate the attempted bombing of parliament, rather than the prevention of that bombing!

With thing like fireworks, screaming kids and boy racers (all things that destroy rural peace and quiet) I always try to remember that in my younger days I enjoyed all these things a lot and so I tolerate them in moderation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497143 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
Yes, that is why you traditionally burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes on top of the fire, to celebrate his death.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497146 by max2
I have contributed in the past on this forum about fireworks and the effects on stock. This year a comment on our local community page sat me on my bottom....

A thread had been started by a horse owner in a particular road asking if anyone in that road was going to have fireworks, could they let neighbours know. A barrage of replies from the pro and con brigade followed.

Then an ''old'' name that I know popped up querying the issue. Someone else who earlier in the year had been reported to police for use of loud firearms on their property (con brigade) spoke up about the effects of fireworks on her horses.

Quite the opposite stance from the earlier gun noise (from her property) thread. So in her view, its ok for them to shoot old fashioned and loud guns on their property, but not for someone to have fireworks up the road... :rolleyes:

the Old Name had a few things to say and so I asked the Other Half what happened in his day in these parts when it was farm (rural) land and no LSB's in sight. They had fireworks but it was held rotating on neighbours farms.

Some farm land has been turned into small holdings which have been bought by horse people who use the rural area argument against having fireworks.

So between my Other Half and the Old Name, we have a rural farming community that used to have controlled fireworks, to a rural (horse) community who don't want fireworks, and then have a rural community on smaller lots who want to enjoy their freedom of having extra space to do bonfires and have fireworks.... in the rural community.

The horse people are the most vocal about being anti fireworks. The ''newer'' people on a few sections are planning on celebrating.

The farmers with young children are planning on having communal displays which the horse owners are objecting too......

Interesting time of year me thinks.... :eek:[;)]

More
9 years 6 months ago #497147 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
Part of me agrees with you Max2 and I feel an old fart[:0][:I]for calling for fireworks ban ...BUT the thing is I would be fine with it IF it was restricted to the one night and over and done with ...could sit with horse for that evening ...it is just the prolonged and not knowing when the next night will be, that has me calling for a ban ...or just the big public displays ...
When I was a kid (many years ago:eek:) I enjoyed firework night ....but that was it done and dusted for the year...when my kids were young they had guy fawkes night too ...it is just out of control these days ...I don't know ....so many irresponsible folk without the good old fashioned consideration for others or their animals just taints it for the majority I guess :(
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 6 months ago #497157 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
this year ive told our employee no fireworks on the property & could he please tell his son who is living with him(nearly 21) as we cant have them because of all the animals & he said ok...I told him a few days ago...didnt want him to buy them then be told
this is the first year theres been another house on the farm & other neighbours either have lots of animals or are quite far away

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 6 months ago #497185 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
I have to say that we have horses but are very rural so fireworks are not generally a problem but opposite us is a large dam where duckshooting starts at 6am every year when the season starts and that goes on for weeks the first year spooked the horses a bit but since then they have gotten used to it and it doesnt seem to bother them any more so i object to the comment that the horsey people are the ones who are complaining im not but then again there wont be fire works round our house so no need to i guess.

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497188 by max2

mikethebike;502598 wrote: I have to say that we have horses but are very rural so fireworks are not generally a problem but opposite us is a large dam where duckshooting starts at 6am every year when the season starts and that goes on for weeks the first year spooked the horses a bit but since then they have gotten used to it and it doesnt seem to bother them any more so i object to the comment that the horsey people are the ones who are complaining im not but then again there wont be fire works round our house so no need to i guess.

I'm referring to a particular community forum and the ones complaining are only horse owners, some of who quote ''rural living'' as being the reason not to have fireworks in the area.

I have yet to see anyone represent cows, sheep, ducks or any other form of animal life stating their concerns and objections, so stand by my statement its ''horsey people''.

But its interesting from my perspective to know when rural was really rural, they had fireworks, albeit shared around each neighbour each year.

As Terralee rightly says the problem is with people who continue on way past the night.

More
9 years 6 months ago #497200 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Guy Fawkes is coming
Our problem has already started. :( [:(!] Last night there were fireworks let off some distance away but close enough to be heard inside the house. Not enough to affect the goats.. yet.

Most of our n/bours are responsible enough not to have fireworks. there are a couple of them that will not surprise me if they do. We have "mentioned" (not so quietly [}:)]) in past years that it is not acceptable to direct their fireworks, and cannons [:0], over the paddocks that our new mums and kids are in...... or any paddock for that matter.
Oh that I had that sort of money to burn, all over so fast too.
We will see................

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds