Goat question.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497042 by starborn
Replied by starborn on topic Goat question.
Thanks for trying Andrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497046 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Goat question.

starborn;502381 wrote: Andrea, do you know of anyone who breeds Rawhitis in the Waikato?
I would love to get another Female as a friend for my girl.

We're in the Wairarapa and hope to have babies next season. We also breed crosses with Saanens, Rawhiti dad and Saanen mums

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 5 months ago #497053 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Goat question.
Sorry, eelcat, for some reason I thought you weren't breeding them any longer.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497180 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Goat question.
Spook I think has Rawhitis up north. I'm not 100% sure it's that breed but message her and see if she has any.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497237 by starborn
Andrea,
I have been looking at Feral Goat pictures and saw your photo of Luna. My girl looks very like her. Could Primrose be a Rawhiti?
She certainly doesn't look like pictures of other feral in NZ.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
9 years 5 months ago #497239 by Andrea1
Hi, Starborn - probably not. Her head and ears are the differently shaped than a Rawhiti. It's really hard to see the differences till you see them side by side. Your dow also looks to have a different coat than typical winter coat Rawhitis get, and her horns look more like Angora or Boer horns.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497240 by starborn
Never mind. She's probably a mix of all sorts.
Love her anyway. She has such a sweet nature!

More
9 years 5 months ago #497250 by Andrea1

starborn;502657 wrote: She has such a sweet nature!

And that's what maters most! :D

More
9 years 5 months ago #497497 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Goat question.
When it stops raining and when I remember I will take a photo of Tina. She is Luna's daughter by Chocolat. She is pure black.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 5 months ago #497501 by starborn
Primrose is completely black accept for a tiny bit of white on the front of each ear.
If she was a dog we could say she has even markings. lol
The white looks like someone has taken a small brush and accidentally touch her twice in exactly the same place on each side.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497542 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Goat question.

LongRidge;502431 wrote: How are you going to prevent her being mated by a buck that is too large for her to carry his weight, and how are you going to keep her from the buck at her first ovulation, as a very young "teenager". However ..... 12 year old girls were permitted to marry, in NZ, until 1934, so birthing when very young may not necessarily be a huge problem. But it always has been with us, so when we were breeding goats they did not have access to the buck until they were 20 months.

Interesting point LR has raised, regarding choosing the physical size of buck vs does carefully and one I took into account myself when purchasing our own buck.

The BoerX does we have are not particularly large in frame so I ended up buying a nice young Boer buck who was one of a set of triplets and he is correspondingly a lot smaller than the other bucks I was offered at the time, I bought him primarily because I knew he would not stress the does physically as much as the much larger bucks.

Genetically he is as "large" as the other bucks and he is throwing nice substantial kids of good size and great bone [their legs have much more bone than their mothers and they all have a good meaty frame!] so I am very pleased with the end result, and the great majority of the does have had no issues with birthing so we have a good kidding percentage.

As far as keeping the juveniles away from the buck, well I drafted all mine out before the buck went in with the does and sent them all to the opposite end of the farm with our old calf club wether goats as minders. However the sneaky little girls that were in season managed to go through several of our fences and then through 2 neighbours places and managed to squeeze their way back into the paddock with the buck [:0] so a few of the hoggets have actually kidded this year even though I had planned for them to go to the buck next season. So if you do have hogget does it can be very hard to keep them away from the buck if they have other ideas!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497545 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Goat question.
Thats funny Baroque, its usually the men that get the blame in these situations!

More
9 years 5 months ago #497546 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Goat question.

muri;503006 wrote: Thats funny Baroque, its usually the men that get the blame in these situations!

:D Well Loki must be very desirable to the ladies because a flock of wild does arrived on the farm next door from goodness knows where when he was in with his does!

And the neighbour on the other side has a few Saanen pet does and they were besotted with Loki and bleated to him [loudly] for months and months, I did offer that they could use his stud services for a couple of bottles of wine but they didn't take me up on the offer and those goats must have driven them mad each time they came into season. :D

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497579 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goat question.
We've had quite a few "virgin" births where the neighbours buck did not get in with our does, and we did not find our does in the neighbours place. The does got through the boundary fence, did the job, and returned without anyone noticing :-).

More
9 years 5 months ago #497681 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Goat question.

LongRidge;503045 wrote: We've had quite a few "virgin" births where the neighbours buck did not get in with our does, and we did not find our does in the neighbours place. The does got through the boundary fence, did the job, and returned without anyone noticing :-).

In my experience, if the buck gets in with the does, he stays there; but if a doe gets in with the buck(s) she makes her way back to the other does, and you never know - until she kids and you weren't expecting it!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds