Tattooing Goats

More
9 years 5 months ago #496949 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Tattooing Goats
Even if you only have 2 goats, if they're going in a national register, they need to be permanently identified, so with dairy goats, it's either tattooing or microchipping. I have a Togg herd of over 60 goats, and I show as well. If your goat does well enough at a show to get a breed or champion award, you will need to prove his or her identity to the judge on the day. Lots of reasons for permanently identifying a goat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #496950 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tattooing Goats
Andrea, yes that might well be what the rules say, but if I know my goats by another method, why should the rules not be changed to accomodate other methods? Unless you have an inspection by the regulatory body, how are they going to know that you haven't put the same number into every goat?
Toggie, can't you pick these 2 goats out of your herd? If "yes", why bother IDing? If "no", then how will you know that you have IDed the correct ones? Both of these thought make me wonder......

More
9 years 5 months ago #496956 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Tattooing Goats
Dairy goats going anywhere - export, other dairies, shows, would have to be scanned or have their tattoos verified by third parties. It's how you will be certain of who that goat is. It's not just about knowing who's who in your herd.

More
9 years 5 months ago #496960 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tattooing Goats
Very true, but why not do it just before they are leaving if they are only going off the property once? With NAIT, my cows and calves get their NAIT tag just before they leave, even though I identify them by other methods when they are here.

More
9 years 5 months ago #496968 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Tattooing Goats
With my animals - goats and chickens I can tell them apart, however hubbie can only tell tell the adult does apart (quite easy, one has horns, and the two that don't are very different sizes). If I needed to permanently identify any, I would do it sooner rather than later as OH accidentally giving a buyer number 4 instead of number 5 could be a major problem.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds