Tattooing Goats

More
9 years 7 months ago #38579 by Toggie
Tattooing Goats was created by Toggie
After a few years of keeping goats and now that I have a good herd registered buck I have decided that I need to breed up my herd. I'm putting the paperwork through for recorded grade and then inspection to Appendix "D" but need to tattoo two does. Opinions seem to vary between 8mm and 10mm tattoo kit. I can use (and sterilise) a 10mm which should be ok for mature does but if I buy my own kit would a 8mm be better ? I'll need to tattoo kids each season. Course then I'll be onto sorting out a disbudder- I'll sort that out next year or make friends with someone who is good at it !! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496876 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Tattooing Goats
I thought registered goats were microchipped inder the tail these days? My registered doe has brass number tags high in the ear where it curves back out on the other side. We used to tattoo our stud cows in the ear. With a goat you'd need to avoid any blood vessels, so I'm picking that to do kids, the smaller kit would be better.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 7 months ago #496878 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Tattooing Goats
We used to tattoo, and have gone to microchipping about 5 or 6 years ago. Faster, easier, very little to no pain, no blood, they barely even notice you're messing around with their tails. Tattooing is a bloody, painful mess (never done it myself, couldn't bear doing to my goats, had a long-time, experienced breeder do it for me. Tattoos are also notoriously difficult to read on the darker-skinned goats over time.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496880 by Toggie
Replied by Toggie on topic Tattooing Goats
Andrea, what would be the cost of chipping a goat ? I agree that it sounds a much nicer option.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496883 by boerred
Replied by boerred on topic Tattooing Goats
Andrea - have you encountered any microchips that have moved from their position?

I have found that in my Setters I have several chips that have migrated to other areas from their original position.

2 Burmese cats (Mr Brown & Minerva), 2 Irish Setters (Rosie & Kirsten), 5 English Setters (Crystal, Holly, Summer & her son Moss & daughter Pansy), 4 stud red Boer goats (Charlie, Fudge, Merlot, her kids Shiraz & Chianti & traditionals Gorgeous & Polly), Boer Marmite, , 1 pony brood mare Ataahua...

More
9 years 6 months ago #496895 by Andrea1
No, with the goats they just stay put in the tail web. There doesn't seem to be much place they can move to there. I have heard that Nubie breeders put it in the ear, and some have worked there way out, apparently.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496896 by Andrea1

Toggie;502259 wrote: Andrea, what would be the cost of chipping a goat ? I agree that it sounds a much nicer option.

Our local goat club buys them in bulk. They come 10 to the box, and cost I think, $6.50 each when you buy them that way. But you also need access to a microchip reader. We have bought one, and another member of our goat club has one, so there's usually always someone about with a reader. They are about $350 (and they also read some types of NAIT tags, so WAY cheaper than the big scanners!). We get chips and the reader/scanner from Zee Tags.

What's the buck you got, Toggie? Always like to hear about Toggies.... :D

More
9 years 6 months ago #496901 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tattooing Goats
Toggie, the question must be asked, so I will. Why?
With goats, the only permanent identification will be their coat patterns and their personalities. With only 2, you will use these identifications much more often than a chip or a tattoo. So why bother using another sort of identification?
If the rules are written in such a way that you have to injure your animals so that other people can identify them, then I think that the rules need changing. Rules that are silly are not worth having, and even rules that are good need to be reviewed and modified if needed. If the reference to tattooing is in the Appendix to the rules, then that may be a suggestion rather than a rule (just as the suggestions of a boundary fence are a suggestion in the Fencing Act. The RULE to boundary fencing is "ADEQUATE").
Photographs of distinguishing features would be far more clever :-)

More
9 years 6 months ago #496902 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Tattooing Goats

LongRidge;502281 wrote:
Photographs of distinguishing features would be far more clever :-)

Try that with my herd.
white goat with horns
white goat without horns
white goat without horns
white kid with horns
white kid without horns

etc etc

Telling the kids apart at the moment is only done by who it drinks from.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496908 by Toggie
Longridge, try identifying 50 Saanens by personality and coat !! Tattooing or chipping is probably as much pain as ear tags. It is a means of identifying an animal. The identification matches the animal to its pedigree as such. What would you suggest otherwise ? I have more than two does and can identify all.
Andrea, will get a photo of the boy when weather is better he won't come out of his shelter while it's raining. He's Highview Khan but answers to Stinky !!

More
9 years 6 months ago #496916 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Tattooing Goats
individual distinguishing features is fine for nubians or piebald patchwork coats. but as mentioned, once you get more than a few identical white things, it gets difficult.

The difference is between a herd and a few pets.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 6 months ago #496933 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Tattooing Goats
Toggie, very true but you said that you only had 2 does, so after they have kidded you are likely to only have 2 more does, with different number of teeth. If you mate them at 8 months old (we don't, they are too small to be growing and lactating), and to a different buck, you are still only likely to have 4 more does, making your herd 8 in number.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496937 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Tattooing Goats
I can identify my goats by sight and they're all white, with long, curly fleece and horns. Okay, not all the new babies, they're changing day by day. However, I wouldn't want to rely on my memory in all situations which we why we ear tag all of ours. On the other hand when we went through a phase when five goats lost their tags I knew who was who....

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #496938 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Tattooing Goats
I have a tattoo set here, its a STONE with 3/8 tattoo digets so I presume they are 10MM its like new I think we used it twice and that was many years ago, its been kept in the house, and cost me at the time $86.14c so if anyone wants to make me an offer, I would be only too willing to sell it. I also have the ink that goes with it. We use to have goats, and only used it on the angora kids from the two pedigree does we brought. It looks in great condition, so please message me if any of you are interested, or I will put it on trademe.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496948 by Toggie
Longridge, I said I had two does to tattoo, not two does in total. Thank you to those who provided useful advice or comments. This is Toggie- out.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds