Goat birthing kit

More
9 years 5 months ago #497181 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Goat birthing kit

cowvet;502136 wrote: I questioned quite a few of them and then got to suggestion of a bearing retainer to hold in a prolapsed uterus - absolute rubbish!

I've had a prolapsed uterus and it was put back with what looked like an S shaped retainer and it worked a treat. Wouldn't scoff at anything. Mind you - I don't think I would be in a position to place one in a goat - that would be a vet call for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497182 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Goat birthing kit

jimminette;502592 wrote: I've had a prolapsed uterus and it was put back with what looked like an S shaped retainer and it worked a treat. Wouldn't scoff at anything. Mind you - I don't think I would be in a position to place one in a goat - that would be a vet call for me.

your experience as a human would be totally different to that of a goat whose uterine prolapse post birthing would have a 10-20 litre volume of actual uterus of the goat hanging out its rear end.
I did not scoff - I pointed out a factual point that it was not a treatment option in a goat uterine prolapse. A uterine prolapse in a goat means the whole uterus turns insdie out and comes out of the body through an open cervix...the inner surface of the uterus is on the outside of the goat. In a human it refers to the dropping of the uterus and the cervix protruding but not its inside surface of the uterus being on the outside of the body.

The whole point of uterine prolapse treatment is to get it back in the abdominal cavity, completely everted again and have the cervix close so that it can't come back out. A retainer would just hold the cervix open, cause irritation and make it more likely for the female to keep straining. Bearing retainers are designed for bearings (ie, vaginal prolapses) not for uterine ones.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 5 months ago #497194 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Goat birthing kit
Prolapsed vagina (bearing) = lamb or kid is still on the inside. Looks frightful and you can't imagine anything worse until you see a Prolapsed uterus = lamb or kid is on the ground, perfectly happy and covered in bloody mucous from trying to find the udder whilst negotiating this floppy bucket-sized mass of tissue thing hanging out the rear end of its mother.

Have seen the latter once (in a ewe). Vet wrangled it back into place (from memory no stitches and definitely no retainer), administered drugs and the ewe went on to raise her lamb with no further dramas. Amazing!

Bearings don't turn into prolapsed uteruses. They're different things.

hilldweller

More
9 years 5 months ago #497210 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Goat birthing kit
Questions - I assume a uterus is held in place by membranes, maybe ligament type things. Would a prolapse not mean these had been torn free? What happens if you can return the uterus to its place? Does it just sit in the body cavity?

More
9 years 5 months ago #497225 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goat birthing kit
An interesting question and fortunately one you probably won't have to deal with regarding uterus, but quiet likely with sheep vaginal prolapse. Most other farm animals don't have vaginal prolapses.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497226 by cowvet

tonic;502623 wrote: Questions - I assume a uterus is held in place by membranes, maybe ligament type things. Would a prolapse not mean these had been torn free? What happens if you can return the uterus to its place? Does it just sit in the body cavity?

The uterus sort of freely hangs over the rim of the pelvis into the body cavity when it is big/pregnant, or sits in the floor of the pelvis (when non pregnant). There is a bit of a membrane in the curve of the uterine horn but these don't really do anything hugely important.

When replacing a prolapsed uterus its really important to completely unfold all the length of the horns because if it is partly folded back on itself the animal will strain and risk repopping it back out.

If you can imagine a sock - shove your hand into it and grab the end of the toe and pull it back out through the top of the sock (So the inside is on the outside) ...that's how the uterus comes out. To replace it you have to feed it back in the same way and make sure it is completely stretched out again. some use a bottle to expetend their reach and make sure the tips of the horns are fully extended in larger animals (cattle)

Once back in then gravity is your friend. if you can get the animal to its feet then the heavy uterus will hang over the end of the pelvic rim and fall into the abdominal cavity. Don't need to put anything in their to keep it there gravity will do that for you. Foolow up with antibiotic and oxytocin to get the uterus contracting down and the cervix closing. I don't sew anything closed - never have and have never had one pop out again.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497229 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Goat birthing kit
Would I be right in thinking that they can't breed again? The uterine horns really need to be sitting lined up with the ovaries for the eggs to transfer into them don't they? Can they be realigned or is that it as far as breeding goes?

More
9 years 5 months ago #497230 by cowvet

tonic;502644 wrote: Would I be right in thinking that they can't breed again? The uterine horns really need to be sitting lined up with the ovaries for the eggs to transfer into them don't they? Can they be realigned or is that it as far as breeding goes?

the ovaries are attached to the end of the uterine horns so they are within the prolapse (but not on the outside - it doesn't evert that far). Prognosis for further pregnancy is compromised but some do get pregnant again.

Post prolapse prognosis depends on how long it has been out, why it came out and infection etc. each case is different.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497401 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Goat birthing kit
Interesting direction this thread has taken and as I'm afraid might be of relevance to me.
One of my girls is lying down more than normal and when I investigated yesterday I found something that might be an early stage of prolapse. I googled goat labor and some of the images were like what i had seen. The consensus seems to be that as long as everything closes up normal when she gets up it's nothing to be worried about until closer to birth.
We have used a different buck this year and her sister is considerably bigger, so I'm thinking/wondering/worried that the kids might be bigger/more than usual.
What's the best course of action? Should I ring the vet now and tell him about it or wait til actual labour has started and give him possible advance warning?
TIA

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
9 years 5 months ago #497417 by pisa
After I had posted the last comment I went and checked on them again and my blimp girl had given birth to twins! :D All by herself, no fuss and both of them lively. Got another problem now, she has a loopsided udder due to mastitis after her first pregnancy. And the 'healthy' side is SO huge it's nearly touching the ground and full, about to burst. I need to milk to relief the pressure. Can I do that now? It would a moderate amount of stress getting her to go onto the milking stand and into the head bail, but I can't milk her otherwise. I tried relieving her, but she's not keen on me touching that part!! And I can't blame her, but I suppose I need to milk her to avoid mastitis developing in that side?!
The babies have had good feeds from the 'sick' teat, as it's just at the right height! :rolleyes: So, I would freeze the milk from the other for emergencies until it has come down and the babies are more experienced feeders?

TIA

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
9 years 5 months ago #497419 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Goat birthing kit
Yes, you can do that now to ease her udder. Freeze the colostrum to be used just in case, always good to have some on hand. If you don't relieve her big side, it's just asking for trouble through injury, potential mastitis risk and kids being frustrated not being able to use that side and bashing the heck out of it. You can take at least half off it, and not worry about losing the colostrum for the kids, but as you say, they've had a good feed already, so should be fine.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497423 by pisa
thanks Andrea,
I got about a liter! She wouldn't go on the stand, too anxious to leave the kids, so I milked her while she was feeding and toward the end she was less reluctant as the pressure was less. Still too big though for the kids to get to it! Will persevere leading them to it and trying to make them lie on the ground!

Our adopted goats were so misbehaving: missing their 'herd' they had gone through two fences to be with the big girls. Mum NOT happy. Managed now to lead one big girl and the two little ones back to the main paddock. I just hope she doesn't decide to go into labour over night, her tail had dropped! Anyway, everyone's got shelter and I will do one more check later on.

I need a calming cuppa now, feeling quite zapped. Chuffed, but totally zappped. I'd forgotten how the emotional the whole process is. Even when it's going good! :D

More
9 years 5 months ago #497426 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Goat birthing kit
If you help the kids by supporting a low-hanging teat up to where they can reach, they will soon figure out that milk comes out 2 sides rather than just one. The sooner they figure it out, the better, or they will always favour the one side, and she'll stay lopsided.

More
9 years 5 months ago #497440 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Goat birthing kit
We hsd to do this with Mindy. We put hrr on the stand gave her food and then it was easier to hold a kid to the low slung teat. You will need to do sooner rather than later as those little things will be strong and fast in a day or two. M or F?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 5 months ago #497446 by pisa
This mornings pics: the boy has the 'classic' nubian droopy ears and an interesting marking around his head. The girl's ears are standing up, like the alpines, giving her a feisty look.
One pic shows the difference in the teats quite well, especially with the girl standing behind it.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/502891=14875-DSC_0064 (500x332).jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/502891=14876-DSC_0066 (500x332).jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/502891=14877-DSC_0073 (500x332).jpg[/img]

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds