Advice about Goats

More
9 years 7 months ago #496784 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Advice about Goats
I am another goat convert. We had sheep to begin with but found them much more work than goats. Sheep have too much wool for electric fences to work and were always escaping. Goats on the other hand do get zapped by electric fences.
This is our second lot of goats (we have moved since the first lot). Now we have 7 or 8 wire fencing (I would have to go out an count). The only escape we had was a hand reared one who suffered separation anxiety disorder (I think) and kept jumping out to find the children who had raised him. An we had one breakout this week when the kids discovered the point in the fence where the horses next door had pawed at the soild on their side and created enough of a gap for the kids to go under. 5 mins work and the problem was solved.

Also not all goats have horns, but even ours that do, still manage to get their heads back through.

I used to do goat judo to trim their hooves, I would just grab the opposite side legs and pull them towards me and immediately the goat is on its side and I would gently lie on the goat and it would stay still whilst I did their hooves. These days I plonk them on the milking stand and as long as they have enough food they are fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496791 by clemclan
Replied by clemclan on topic Advice about Goats
Thanks everyone [;)] really appreciate all your advice. I will take all that on board and let you know what we decide. There's plenty of weeds around the place for them to munch on and supplementry straw and feed isn't a problem, neither is giving them a dry warm place to sleep or shelter. However, there are sheep in the main paddock and although the goats (two of them) wouldn't be in that paddock, more around the back of the dwelling with the chickens and ducks, the comments about goats with sheep is a bit concerning.

- Freelance Proofreader, Editor & Writer

chickens, ducks, dog, cat and guinea pigs! [;)]

More
9 years 7 months ago #496804 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Advice about Goats
clemclan -- on the 29th November, the Canterbury Dairy Goat Breeders Assn (see link in my sig line), a hobbyist group of goat-mad people, will be having our annual club show, the biggest gathering of all breeds of dairy goats in one place in the region (last couple of shows have had 60+ goats). Good place to have a look at goats and talk to lots of breeders.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496807 by wal89
Replied by wal89 on topic Advice about Goats

LongRidge;502114 wrote: We have had sheep, cattle, donkeys, a horse, cats, dogs, and ..... goats. They are an absolute pain in the ass, and if I could have my way they would all be curry by now. They are lots of work, not much pleasure, and too supple to be able to safely wrestle with to do their feet. They catch every sheep bug much worse than sheep do, so having sheep and goats is more stupid than stupid. They also catch other bugs that sheep don't. This would not be so bad except very few vets know a darned thing about goats, but invoice as if they were experts.
Any real friend will tell you to stay away from goats. Only your worst enemy would suggest that they are fun to care for. They are work, work, work, they hate you for trying to fix their feet, and they bash you with their horns ..... and some bite.

Goats are not for every one , but for those that can understand them and care for them properly , you will countless hours of fun and a friend for life.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496821 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Advice about Goats
wal, the problem is that I have to do all the caring and the understanding, and The Manager has the countless hours of fun .... telling me to do the mustering, do the drenching, do the feet, do the killing, fix the fences, etc.
As a final observation about goats (and donkeys), if it is your idea then expect and ask for absolutely no assistance from your partner. They are both marriage killers if one of you gets not much pleasure from them. And as soon as one of you are over the enthusiasm, get rid of the problem.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496823 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Advice about Goats

LongRidge;502194 wrote: wal, the problem is that I have to do all the caring and the understanding, and The Manager has the countless hours of fun .... telling me to do the mustering, do the drenching, do the feet, do the killing, fix the fences, etc.
As a final observation about goats (and donkeys), if it is your idea then expect and ask for absolutely no assistance from your partner. They are both marriage killers if one of you gets not much pleasure from them. And as soon as one of you are over the enthusiasm, get rid of the problem.

Sorry, but I had to giggle at the last comment. In all fairness though , I think any livestock or venture or hobby could do that.
I only get help if I physically cannot do something, but he loves watching them, so doesn't begrudge the expense or time spent on them. Oh, and he does feed them when I'm off the odd weekends. [;)]

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds