LSB Expo....April 2015

More
9 years 7 months ago #38551 by kate
LSB Expo....April 2015 was created by kate
In a fit of (temporary) insanity, I have agreed to organise and host a Lifestyle Block Expo at the Waikato Show next April [:0] :D

While there are A&P shows, Fieldays etc, there aren't many shows aimed at lifestyle farmers and our needs are a bit different from commercial farmers, I mean, I'd love a $300,000 tractor but it's not going to be practical. Not unless I win lotto, that is.

So, when asked if I'd volunteer to run an Expo aimed at lifestyle farmers I said yes.

We're making the focus 'information' with talks by knowledgeable people on interesting topics. It's also going to be a chance for a huge lsb get-together [8D][8D] Those of you who know me will know that I'm basically a social cripple so I'm already getting nervous...

I'm talking to some potential sponsors and stall holders and would like to hear from you what you'd like to see at the Expo.

And wish me luck [B)] :) :)

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496553 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
Sounds like a brilliant idea.....once the word gets out I am sure things will fall into place.
What would I like to see
LSB animals....some of the rarer ones....everyone likes animals...alpaca's to Wiltshires...only because we don't have ox, yaks or zebra's.
Plants and seeds...the heritage suppliers will be good
Fertiliser
Vet talks on LSB husbandry
Normal farmers market stall holders .....cheese

Small business advice
Weed identification
Organics
I have seen a good demonstration by acc on how to ride a quadbike.

A starter...You will get so many ideas, it will grow...give me a bell if you need any assistance in whatever capacity

More
9 years 7 months ago #496555 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
Thanks, we are hoping to have the Rare Breeds Society there with some animals and it looks as if Mohair NZ will be there with some angoras...which is great for me as I'll be missing my own girls....

I'll follow up with the rest of your suggestions....thanks again :D

Web Goddess

More
9 years 7 months ago #496556 by kate
...and it looks like we'll be having some cool fencing demos too....

Web Goddess

More
9 years 7 months ago #496557 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
So exciting, I can't wait!

-Bees... Maybe get in touch with the Waikato domestic beekeepers club about having a stand. I'm new to beekeeping and think more lifestylers should get into it, great for orchards and clover!
-Mini horses
-Making the your own oil... Olive, nut etc
-Fruit and vege
-Cheese making.. Went to a cool course with Jean mansfield
-poultry breeder.. Especially ducks
-pasture maintience for different animals ie horses vs cattle, also weed control

This should be awesome. I can hel to, I'm just down the road :)

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
9 years 7 months ago #496560 by kate
Thanks Sarah

We're sharing a huge hall with the Enviro people and they're hoping to get beekeepers and a speaker for our joint stage. If they can't for some reason, I will :D

There are lots of equestrian things at the show, I certainly saw minis there last year.

I'll work on the rest of your list :D

Thanks to you and kjj for the offer of help. I might need it!

Web Goddess

More
9 years 7 months ago #496565 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
Kate, my suggestion would be some of the pit falls that people can fall into when buying a lifetstyle block, e.g. a fine day a paddock of animals, a nice house but that is not the scenario of some lifestyle blocks when they shift in and find they have not checked council records for any changes planned for their area- power lines, roads, what is happening next door to the property is it an engineering business or a trucking company.!! You could look through some of the old posts on here and see some of the hassles folk have that they did not think of.
I have been asked on many occasions in our area for information and advice for folk looking at various blocks for sale in the area, what is such and such place like in winter, can we do so and so on the block would it be suitable, has it ever been flooded e.g.2004 floods Manawatu. and so it goes on. Good luck Kate.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 6 months ago #496656 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
Nice idea Kate, don't know of we'll be able to travel up from the South Island but it'll be in the diary.

You've already got a lot of suggestions but I'd support the idea of the more rare animals/birds etc. there are quite a few associations that would love to be involved. As an alpaca breeder I'm certain AANZ would be and there are plenty of breeders in the area.

Also, things around the idea of self- sufficiency. Maybe rain water collecting and treatment, electricity generation could be useful. Farm maintenance skills as well.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 6 months ago #496661 by Ashlee
Replied by Ashlee on topic LSB Expo....April 2015

Negodil;502007 wrote: You've already got a lot of suggestions but I'd support the idea of the more rare animals/birds etc. there are quite a few associations that would love to be involved. As an alpaca breeder I'm certain AANZ would be and there are plenty of breeders in the area.

The AANZ North Island Colourbration Show is held in conjunction with the Waikato Show in April so there will be over 100 alpacas and plenty of breeders around over the weekend.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496666 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
What are the show dates, Kate?

And...need a hand? I'll be in the Waikato all April (and probably a few weeks before as well) :D been a while since I've organized a stand and done a show, but think I remember how it all goes [}:)][;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 6 months ago #496668 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
oooh that sounds exciting! I can bring a stallion if you want :D

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496671 by kate
Thanks everyone :D

As Ashlee said, there will be plenty of alpacas at the show, not in our Expo but in the next hall.

Show dates are 10th-12th April. Any advice will be very gratefully received as I've never organised a show before so am having nightmares about all the things I haven't even thought about...or don't know I need to do [B)]

Keep the suggestions coming....

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #496672 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
Ostridges ! Wish I had a couple wandering around.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496673 by muri
Replied by muri on topic LSB Expo....April 2015
I think the biggest impact is made not through talks about things but through practical demonstrations and exhibits. There is so much info and visual stuff at these shows that people cant take it all in.
Animals are always a really good exhibit which draw people in. So things like Terraleas mini sheep would be good, and some mini cattle, as well as some rare breeds as suggested. These are what people will remember a week down the track
Talks may be useful, if they are relevant to the listener but how much information can people at these kind of things take on board?
Demonstrations such as suggested cheese making, fencing will also have an impact.
If you can get stall holders who have interactive stalls, thats always good

More
9 years 6 months ago #496686 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic LSB Expo....April 2015

Kate;501898 wrote: ...I'd love a $300,000 tractor but it's not going to be practical. Not unless I win lotto, that is.

They do come with other price-tags, you know! I didn't win lotto and am nearly finished paying off the great orange monster best-thing-bought-in-years machine.

Good luck with the Expo!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds