Rabbiting with Terriers

More
9 years 6 months ago #38506 by ravenseyes
Is this legal in NZ? If it is does anyone know of someone who does it? I have a subway system under one of my back paddocks and although they are shot and poisoned there are still heaps to take over. The system extends to neighbors property - Grand Central Station is over the fence in neighbors but they have burrowed my way and I would really like to make a major impact on them bunnies

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496168 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Rabbiting with Terriers
Have you considered pumping a mixture of lpg and oxygen down their hole and sparking it off to blow them out of the ground? I think the procedure has been outlined by someone else on here previously. Something involving a sparkplug and an ignition coil from memory. Anyone remember this?

More
9 years 6 months ago #496173 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Rabbiting with Terriers

igor;501468 wrote: Have you considered pumping a mixture of lpg and oxygen down their hole and sparking it off to blow them out of the ground? I think the procedure has been outlined by someone else on here previously. Something involving a sparkplug and an ignition coil from memory. Anyone remember this?

That method also requires a video camera...so that you (or another survivor!) can post the video on here for me to watch! :D

More
9 years 6 months ago #496174 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Rabbiting with Terriers
I'd use the terriers - not illegal as far as I know. Have many fond memories of childhood and a pack of terriers doing their job.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496203 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Rabbiting with Terriers
Terriers are quite ok and certainly not illegal. Many years ago we had something called a Rabbit Board. They employed men on horses with a pack of dogs, which were mostly terriers, and their sole purpose was to unearth rabbits. Thanks to them parts of the country were rabbit free.

For the situation that your describing ferrets are the better option but this is now a no-no and I doubt that you would find anybody who keeps ferrets (illegally) for the purpose of rabbiting.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
9 years 6 months ago #496208 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Rabbiting with Terriers
I would doubt terriers could make a difference if a large part of the population is on the neighbours though. Unless they are wanting to get involved?

More
9 years 6 months ago #496209 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Rabbiting with Terriers
borrow some cats. One of our cats single-handedly cleared 10 acres of rabbits in about 6 months.
1080 will kill them, but I don't know of the legal implications of individuals using it

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds