Sheep Thief Returned to Churchill Rd East Last Night - Intruder on Property

More
9 years 6 months ago #495974 by muri
I am not sure if you kept up with the news in Cornwall Park in Auckland which is grazed mainly by Gotland sheep, which is quite a friendly breed/ They have had a lot of trouble with poachers, mainly setting gin traps and catching the sheep by their legs. Even harder to control in a public park than on private property

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495976 by kindajojo
That's terrible, I know where i would like to see the gin trap attached.....can I imply that on this site???

More
9 years 6 months ago #495983 by Stikkibeek

kindajojo;501253 wrote: That's terrible, I know where i would like to see the gin trap attached.....can I imply that on this site???

:rolleyes: Trouble is, they'd have to be doing something pretty funny to catch 'that' in the gin trap! [}:)] :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #496123 by vjp
So then the electrician who came over to the house for the light quote said his ewe had been taken from the Te Kauwhata Church when she was grazing with her twins. So maybe they are related, less than 2 weeks ago. So tonight I am really jumpy and keep going out to check on the new calves at the slightest peep of a moo. That's what thieves do - they wreck your sense of safety and security. In in answer I think in individual cases they do go for the ones that they can catch easily. Judging from the site that I went on - theft of stock is a major issue - range from individual cows or sheep to flocks and right up to 200 plus herds - opportunistic to organised rings. Recently also had issues with early morning i.e. 3am possum hunting with 22 rifle shots whizzing around the stock....does my property look like a national hunting reserve? Then yesterday some idiot in a van was shooting pot shots with a rifle down by the river. When we called the police re the other night at 3am there was ONE patrol car for TK through to Huntly and Ngarawahia. So I am feeling very vunerable and wonder what to do to beef up security

More
9 years 6 months ago #496124 by vjp

More
9 years 6 months ago #496134 by max2

vjp;501418 wrote: So then the electrician who came over to the house for the light quote said his ewe had been taken from the Te Kauwhata Church when she was grazing with her twins. So maybe they are related, less than 2 weeks ago. So tonight I am really jumpy and keep going out to check on the new calves at the slightest peep of a moo. That's what thieves do - they wreck your sense of safety and security. In in answer I think in individual cases they do go for the ones that they can catch easily. Judging from the site that I went on - theft of stock is a major issue - range from individual cows or sheep to flocks and right up to 200 plus herds - opportunistic to organised rings. Recently also had issues with early morning i.e. 3am possum hunting with 22 rifle shots whizzing around the stock....does my property look like a national hunting reserve? Then yesterday some idiot in a van was shooting pot shots with a rifle down by the river. When we called the police re the other night at 3am there was ONE patrol car for TK through to Huntly and Ngarawahia. So I am feeling very vunerable and wonder what to do to beef up security

I will email you later, but we found the same, have a house in the village up the motorway from you and the 1 policeman has the entire area to patrol. I recently wrote to Lindsay Tisch on this matter and had an unsatisfactory part reply from Council in regard to a few of the issues I mentioned.

But yes the area needs more police.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496165 by bev
you can get solar security lights, not great but can help deter them.
Here we have a driveway alert (turtle direct) and its great, its solar and can place were ever you want the receiver in the house.
The other tool I use is a hunting camera, motion and able to film at night, its what you use when in the bush to 'survey' the area for animals, it runs on batteries, has a SD card, and is motion controlled. Its totally portable, and you can view any images on the camera itself.
The pics/video cant prove that they took anything, but set it up right and you have plates and faces, and That always helps.
Best of all, people don't know its all there.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496166 by igor
I have had it suggested to me that big noisy dogs and a laser scope combine to create a good deterrent. It must be very disconcerting to see that red dot creeping ever closer.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496172 by max2
There is a reliable rumour that someone in the district has a driveway alert set up in his driveway and it gives him time to find his gun and get outside.

He was having fuel pinched and so installed the device. they naturally returned and out he went.

It was very decent of them to leave their fuel containers behind and they have never been back since. (not that he shot at them mind you, but the scare factor was enough). So the rumour goes.

Having called the police on a number of occasions myself, I know there is never a car in the area when you need one.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496492 by igor

More
9 years 6 months ago #496495 by Stikkibeek
Police had a roadblock on our road last week. They were responding to an increase in rural burglaries and warning commuters through this area to be vigilent. A property holder in the district, got her house burgled in broad daylight. Good they are showing a presence, but in my opinion, commuters will mostly be 1 per car and they are hardly likely to be looking anywhere but the road when driving to or from work.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #496515 by max2
I own a rental property not far from where vjp is and its hard to get the police out to reported B & E with thief still on site. Not the police's fault, they have 1 guy to cover a huge area and when he is off duty, little is done to replace him.

The night our B & E was reported we got there in 15 minutes and a police car was parked just up the road, we asked them if they were attending our B & E and said no, they were looking for ''someone one''.... Perhaps that ''someone else'' might have been our B & E? [}:)]

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds