Selling stock on TradeMe

More
9 years 6 months ago #38446 by FarmerEms
Hey all!

Recently sold a couple of ewe lambs to a couple who live two hours away.

These lambs were wean able size/age and they had just been taken away from their mums. We gave all the sheep/lambs a drench as there were some signs of worms. The buyers then put them in a box for the journey back home.

They have now asked for a refund as one of the lambs has passed away a week later.

What do you think of this situation? This buyer is a complete newbie to sheep so has no idea what happened to the sheep/signs to look for, but he seems to be pushing it back on us as if to say we sold him a sick animal and it was going to die anyway.

We have NEVER had this happen, and are a bit concerned to say the least.

Would you recommend weaning lambs prior to selling to private buyers?

Thanks in advance..!

[:I]

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495602 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
What age were the lambs, you havent said.
Lambs dont die of weaning, unless its too young.
Had you vaccinated them, you mentioned only drench.
Sheep moved to new pasture and new grass are more prone to pulpy kidney and although I dont usually vaccinate, any animal being sold are always sold vaccinated.
I would probably also want my money back if it died within a week, newbie or not

More
9 years 6 months ago #495603 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
Passed away?

I'd be asking for details of its life for the week. How do you know they didn't drown it in the bath or kill it from inhalation of talcum powder or something absurd?

More
9 years 6 months ago #495604 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
What muri said....the fact they took them home in a cardboard box....
I wean at 12 weeks or 20 kg.

I see some people on TM are selling lambs at 6 weeks as weaned.....

More
9 years 6 months ago #495606 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
Did they get a vet to look at it while it was sick for the week before it died?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 6 months ago #495621 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
Hi guys,

We don't vaccinate. Never have. We try to drench only when needed as we want to not build up much of a resistance/reliance..

These lambs would have been 4 months or over. They are Arapawa so only a rather small breed. It was a big box and the two were quite snug in it for the 2 hour drive..

cowvet - No, they didn't get a vet to look at it. He had emailed us earlier saying one seemed to have an itchy ear, but when we asked for an update he said he hadn't had time to look at the lambs since the day they put them in their paddock anyway. And then he said this one had been "listless" all week and then said it died.

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
9 years 6 months ago #495625 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
Not vaccinated!

regardless of whether this lamb died of a clostridial disease or not I think if you are going to sell stock on to other people then you have an ethical/moral obligation to vaccinate for clostridials. Selling a lamb, transporting, and then changing its feed would increase its risk of clostridial disease.
If you choose not to vaccinate then you need to be mighty clear to the purchaser that this is the case and that they understand the increased risk in unvaccinated stock.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 6 months ago #495626 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
I dont vaccinate as a rule but any animal that goes out the gate is fully vaxed otherwise I dont feel I am covering all the bases for the purchaser.
Pulpy kidney can happen fast and often on good sized lambs and a change of diet is often how it occurs, especially if they are going on to good grass.
I would recommend that you look at vaccinating sheep you are going to sell as it covers all bases.
It could have been anything that killed it from eating something toxic to the neighbours dog. But a vaccination at $2 is a very cheap insurance that at least some things can be eliminated and that you had done everything in your power to pass on an animal in full health that should remain that way.
Weaning, then moving animals is very stressful for them so the more help they can get the better for their survival I feel

More
9 years 6 months ago #495635 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
After a week, I would fe refunding or replacing, unless of course you had told them they were unvaccinated and they were aware of the potential problems, it's a little irresponsible to sell stock unless that is disclosed? I normally do one of the TB stock transfer forms with the date and type of drenched last used, the date the next drench should be given plus the dates of the vaccinations...this is to protect me against any potential withholding period if someone decides to them eat them and so the purchaser and the purchasers vet knows exactly what they are dealing with.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495636 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Selling stock on TradeMe
Absolutely agree 100% with Muri and Cowvet ,...you owe it to the buyers to sell your lambs fully vaccinated ...or at least tell/warn them that they are not!!!
Ours have had their sensitiser 2 weeks ago and will get their booster in another 2 weeks or so ...then they will be fully covered and only need an annual booster...in the circumstances I wonder if perhaps you should not consider a refund or offer a replacement :( Just my opinion ...I would be gutted to hear that a lamb of mine had passed within a week of being bought :(

Just to add ...I recently sold 5 ewe hoggets to newbies into LSB and first time sheep owners ...I drenched them on the trailer (we delivered them for the people) and gave them enough drench for a few more drenchuings ...I told them when they had had their annual 5in1 booster and told them to ring me with any concerns or questions.... I am going to email them a few tips on sheep ..when and what to do things ...they have ordered a ram lamb off me once mine are weaned and he too will go fully vaccinated and up to date with drenching. If they were newbies maybe you could have offered them some advice.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds