Our first farm birth lamb vax questions

More
9 years 8 months ago #38319 by Go Kaz
After becoming concerned that our ram was not into the ladies we had this little lovely born this morning!
Nice little ram lamb.

Which leads me to my next question..
Tell me all an idiot beginner needs to know about vacinatting sheep and lambs (the ewes we inherited when we bought the place so don't really know their history other than the drenchings I have given them)

We only have 4 plus the lamb so can I get vax in small quantities??

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/499326=14544-Ram lamb.jpg[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494238 by RaeM1
Ring your vet, normally one that deals with farm animals, not the town type ones, I am pretty sure that they will sell you some, or maybe one of the members from your area may be able to give you some.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494241 by Go Kaz
Thanks - what age should they have their first one (which will allow me to plan when I should pop into the vets (they are just down the road so no issues there)

More
9 years 8 months ago #494243 by muri
There are two vaccinations to be given.
The first is the lamb vax for the lambs and that can be given at any time. I just ask for the specified number I need from the vet and they dispense them for me.
If you dock them, or put a ring on them, make sure they have had their lam vax for tetanus [amongst other things]
Then at about 6 weeks they can have their 5 in 1

More
9 years 8 months ago #494302 by jeannielea
Good luck with asking the vet. we have 6 lambs only this year so i asked but they said they don't dispense small amounts of anything now as they wste too much if a container is not used and as prices have risen they don't feel they can carry on doing it though they realise its hard for lifestylers. Might be a good little business for someone who is prepared to advertise well! I haven't done the lambs as everyone around us vaccinates the ewes so don't need to do the lambs. We hadn't planned on any lambs so we hadn't done the ewes.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494320 by LongRidge
I have been told by my vet that 5-in-1 gives plenty of immediate protection against Tetanus and PK. Put off the ringing until they are 6 weeks and give them their first 5-in-1 at the same time as ringing.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494323 by cowvet
Best to talk to your own vet. It really depend on what particular vaccine they dispense and when and how often it should be given.

I love animals...they're delicious

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds