Advice on orphan lamb please

More
9 years 7 months ago #494291 by Westermans
sounds like you have it covered now :) One of our hand raised wasn't feeding too well at the weekend, i went into panic mode, called my sheep guru (you know who you are) who instantly put my mind at rest....sometimes you just need to voice it out loud even though you know what you are doing ;)
I have scruffy a boy and chillie a girl, he was the sickly one at the start with bad guts, i used probiotic yoghurt for a week and he came right...he also had a shot of scourban, get some from the vets if you can as its script only....always really good to have on hand :)
Good luck with Richard

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495353 by NakiNut
So more with the Richard saga....drinking well - 350 ml 3x daily, scoffing grass, decent poos. Now approx 4 weeks old Kids found a massive worm in his night crate so drenched him with 3ml Ivomec and gave him his first 5 in 1 vacc yesterday. More worms passed today. Stuck rings on his tail and balls today. My question is - he is grinding his teeth a lot - noticed it previously but seems to have increased over the past couple of days and very noticable tonight. Would you put this down to his heavy worm load? Stress (one of my BC's is ALWAYS by his pen)? The rings? Something else?

Once a LSB-er but now a townie with just Bracken, Zip and Relay the dogs - but my heart will alway be on a block somewhere!

More
9 years 6 months ago #495355 by LongRidge
The worms will be tape worm segments. Ivomec is not very good against tapes unless it also has prazaquantel in it. With that, a ball of dead tapes is poo-ed out within a couple of hours. Re-drench in a couple of weeks, preferably with a drench that does tapes. If you can get a small quantity of a drench that will do tapes then giving the lamb another drench tomorrow, at the 15kg dose rate, should help it hugely.
Re the teeth grinding. All of the above, and also new teeth will be coming through the gum so it might also have tooth ache.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495356 by NakiNut
I told the lady at the vets it was tapeworm but she said roundworm and gave me the Ivomec... I'll get onto them tomorrow.... thank you LongRidge.

Once a LSB-er but now a townie with just Bracken, Zip and Relay the dogs - but my heart will alway be on a block somewhere!

More
9 years 6 months ago #495357 by Stikkibeek
Tapeworms and round worms so named due to shape. Did you see the worms while reasonably fresh at all? Were they flat or round?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #495365 by NakiNut
They were flat - I knew they were tapeworms but figured whatever she gave me would do the trick and couldn't be bothered to argue! Should have argued....this lamb is proving to be more trouble than I bargained for!

More
9 years 6 months ago #495372 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advice on orphan lamb please
I understand from my vet that tapeworms have not been found to cause a problem in lambs and it mainly lambs that have them.
I would imagine it could be slightly different with a bottle fed lamb that wont have the same immunity and strengths compared with a mother fed lamb. If there are just a few tape I wouldnt worry but if there are lot then yes I would do something
Its possibly not best to drench such a young lamb twice in a very short space of time though, so maybe if just a few worms ie one or two per poo, dont worry about it too much, but if it becomes more then use a second drench
Most people need to know that if they want to get rid of tapeworms you need to ask for a drench that specifically has + tape added to deal with the tapeworm

More
9 years 6 months ago #495408 by kindajojo
I think First is recommended for lambs and for tapers......generally they don't cause too much of a problem and the lamb needs to start to build resistance......but if it looks particularly potty or there are lots then go for it

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds