Advice on orphan lamb please

More
9 years 7 months ago #38310 by NakiNut
Haven't posted in here for ages!!!
We have fostered a lamb - farmer says he is about 4 weeks old but his umbilicus hasn't dropped off yet so I would guess a bit younger. Rejected by Mum, very thin and very wobbly on his legs when we got him yesterday arvo.
Giving him 250ml per feed (Milligans lamb powder - 5 scoops per litre water). He gulped down the first one at 5pm last night. Fed him again at 10pm - he looked much brighter and steadier on his pins and took the whole lot - although the gurgling noises from his tummy were a bit alarming. Went to feed him this morning at 7.30am, up and looking bright but only had about half the feed and some diarrhorea. He is in a pen in our backgarden, nibbling at grass and looking quite happy. Just went to give him the remiander of his feed - liquid diarrhorea as he fed and lots of it and the noises from his tummy have had got worse - he didn't want all the milk. So what would you do? Feed him smaller amounts more frequently? Reduce the strength of the milk for a couple of days to let his tummy recover? Keep on the 3x a day routine and let his body adjust? Any advice welcome.

Once a LSB-er but now a townie with just Bracken, Zip and Relay the dogs - but my heart will alway be on a block somewhere!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #494146 by hilldweller
Definitely much smaller feeds. He's probably never had 250ml in one go in his life! I doubt that any ewe-fed lamb would and certainly not a rejected one. Don't reduce the strength of the milk. Not sure whether the scouring will stop on its own or whether you need to do something - hopefully someone else will post shortly. Watch for signs of dehydration though.

hilldweller

More
9 years 7 months ago #494147 by NakiNut
I did think it was a lot Hilldweller but that is what it said on the packet and its a long time since i had to raise a lamb! 100ml a time seem about right? Every couple of hours?

Once a LSB-er but now a townie with just Bracken, Zip and Relay the dogs - but my heart will alway be on a block somewhere!

More
9 years 7 months ago #494151 by Camelotwenz
Maybe add a bit of yoghurt to his feed...might help with the gut bacteria. And small feeds more often, as Hilldweller suggests would be better. Otherwise if it keeps up, maybe some electrolytes for a couple of feeds till his poos look better.

Good luck :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #494154 by kindajojo
Do not dilute, digestion requires the milk to curdle in the stomach when the acid hits it, if it is diluted it won't curdle properly, better alternate small milk feeds and electrolyte if still runny out the back end.....little and often

More
9 years 7 months ago #494157 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Advice on orphan lamb please
Scourban .. wonderfull stuff . will mean you will have to go to Vets to get it though

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #494161 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Advice on orphan lamb please
Yoghurt mixed in with the milk, will certainly help. Even a tablespoon of yoghurt will kick start the lamb's intestinal flora and help it digest the milk.

Small feeds given frequently, help sick lambs recover much more quickly. Every 2 - 3 hours, until the lamb shows a good improvement. Then you can reduce the feeds to 4 hourly and perhaps miss out the night feed at that stage. It's always good to get enough sleep yourself, otherwise you can't think straight, when making decisions. At least that what I find for myself. Even 150 mls per feed, will help, rather than hinder the lambs progress.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
9 years 7 months ago #494167 by NakiNut
The scouring is much less already and he has just had 100mls happily - standing up and we had our first Maaaaaa! Thanks guys - sometimes you do know what to do, you just need to know you are right!

More
9 years 7 months ago #494174 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advice on orphan lamb please
There are some who put yoghurt in each feed to discourage bloat. But I think if you dont overfeed ie get over 300-350 mls, then bloat is less of a problem

More
9 years 7 months ago #494273 by NakiNut
So.. Richard is not scouring anymore - hurrah - but he doesn't seem hungry like I would expect - he is now on 150ml every (roughly) three hours but he doesn't always drink it all, doesn't come running for the bottle and is pretty ambivalent about the whole idea. He isn't maaaa-ing at all and I think he is still fairly wobbly on his pins..... He is nibbling on grass. Previous lambs I bottle raised would have been knocking the kids over in eagerness for the bottle by now. Thoughts?

More
9 years 7 months ago #494275 by NakiNut
Just to add - just found him lying on his side in the garden - i think the dogs knocked him over and he just can't be bothered to get up? And a small bit of scouring. I am thinking Scourban might be needed...

More
9 years 7 months ago #494277 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advice on orphan lamb please
Or maybe some anti biotics. If he is only slightly scouring, it may not be the runs that are making him lethargic. But sheep can go downhill fast once they lie down like that. Unless he has been scouring and you havent noticed.
Perhaps you could give him electrolytes, just to cover that base, you can google different reemedies

More
9 years 7 months ago #494281 by terralee
Scourban is great stuff for Richard's situation ...it has electrolytes as well as AB's in it and works fast[^]
Also don't panic if Richard does not want lots of milk at a time...all lambs are different :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 7 months ago #494284 by hilldweller
Given his compromised start I'd be inclined to get a vet to check him over and make sure there's nothing else wrong eg an infection.

Edit: Out of interest (since I don't raise either calves or lambs), is the same Scourban product used for both?

hilldweller

More
9 years 7 months ago #494287 by NakiNut
Thanks guys - spoke to vet and getting Abs for him - vet thinks there's a pneumonia type thing going on.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds