black spot on chooks foot

More
9 years 7 months ago #38300 by hillside
Hi All,

We are finally on broadband and so I will be able to come and look more regularly, yay!!

I wonder if anyone knows about this disease?
One of our chooks has a black area growing between her two 'toes'. She seems perfectly happy, is eating well, I just noticed it by chance.

And there is another chook in a different paddock that keeps sitting down all the time, even when eating. She doesn't seem all that well. I had a look at her and she does have leg mites, but we have put oil on the legs now and she had a few fleas in the feathers, but nothing too bad, I dusted her with Pestene. Any thoughts ?

I would very much appreciate your advice on how to deal with these two girls.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/499111=14520-chooks leg.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/499111=14521-chooks leg2.jpg[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #494047 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic black spot on chooks foot
The black spot is Bumble foot or otherwise known as a Staph. infection, probably resulting from a foot injury or a pad of mud stuck under her foot which has kept the skin moist and open to infection. Staph. bacteria are around everywhere and when conditions are right, they get into an open wound or damaged skin and create a lump full of pus which cannot escape once it is scabbed over. Also once bacteria get into a joint they are fairly hard to get rid of as there is very little blood supply-so antibiotics are of limited use.
If you could soften it, remove the scab and clean it out it would help, and then spray with one of the purple sprays used for foot rot in sheep, or a disinfectant of some type.
You may need to repeat and keep her in a cage or somewhere with dry flooring.

The moping sick bird could be the same if she doesn't want to walk-or something completely different.
To get rid of scaly leg mite you need to keep repeating the oil on the legs-or a thick ointment like vaseline or rawleighs would be even better as it will stay on longer. It acts by suffocating the mites, so once it rubs off on their feathers, while roosting at night you need to reapply thoroughly-use an old tooth brush if needed!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 7 months ago #494108 by hillside
Replied by hillside on topic black spot on chooks foot
Thank you Sue for your advice. I can do a lot of things, but taking the scab off her foot nearly makes me .... . I shall get myself some disinfectant and get my head around doing that for her. I don't want her to get really sick. Like I said, she seems perfectly happy, but I guess that can change very quickly.
thanks again Sue

More
9 years 7 months ago #494110 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic black spot on chooks foot
It's quite sore for your chook to, when you do it. In the past when I've done it I make a pad with a sterile dressing and then bandage it with vet wrap, changed daily.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds