Electric netting for pigs?

• Andrea
9 years 8 months ago #38289 by Andrea
Electric netting for pigs? was created by Andrea
We're getting a couple of weaner pigs to rear for bacon shortly, and want to put them in an area which isn't that easy to fence.... does the electric netting like the stuff for poultry or sheep/goats work to keep pigs in? They are a pretty placid breed...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493954 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Electric netting for pigs?
I have seen it used for pigs once. Not sure how successful it was long term though. Have to suck it and see I guess.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494326 by crhippy
Replied by crhippy on topic Electric netting for pigs?
we have pigs and all we use is 2 Poly wires. it works really well. used it for boar, sows
and Piglets they learn pretty fast and the only Problem we had is once the fence is down they Still won't cross where it was which can make life interesting :-)

More
9 years 8 months ago #494330 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Electric netting for pigs?
I have found that too crhippy. When I remove the electric fence across the gateway I need to push the pigs or tempt them with food to get them to go through and sometimes even then it takes a long time for them to realise that they can pass.

More
9 years 8 months ago #494346 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Electric netting for pigs?
Hi Andrea. We just used a single low wire on the inside of their paddock which was fenced with wire mesh. We made sure the piglets got a kick off it once we got them home and it kept them in and away from the main fence no problems. They got the odd shock off it every now and then as they grew but only because they would get excited with food or play and bump into it. So I imagine as long as the kick they get off the fence is strong enough (and maybe on a random cycle if your system has that option), they get scared of it while they’re young, and there’s plenty in the paddock to keep them interested, then it should keep them in.

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
9 years 8 months ago #494351 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Electric netting for pigs?
Thanks for the replies. We have kept a lot of pigs over the years, but they get to a certain size and I find I am somewhat intimated by shifting them. We had a pair of LW pigs a few years ago, and they were scarily aggressive and it got to a point when I could not get into the pen with them without them trying to take a piece out of my leg. So I've been a bit put off by that. KK pigs are SO easy by comparison, but they don't make very much bacon, which is our favourite bit of pork.

We like to use the long-snouted pigs to dig over an area, so shift them for as long as we can. But this time I'm thinking about putting them in a much larger area to start with and there they will stay till it's butchering time.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds