Crappy weather... fine...

More
9 years 8 months ago #493223 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Crappy weather... fine...
I would say the reason we have not yet got grass growth is not so much a lack of rain as the water table is still quite high, but the cold night temperatures?
I think its quite ambitious to expect grass growth in this area in august, spring take off will be another month away yet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493228 by Stikkibeek

hilldweller;498204 wrote: I can't believe it's dry already up there. Didn't you get a big rain at some stage mid winter? If you've got a really really really long hose and want to send one end of it down here I'll connect it to the drain that runs through the lambing paddock and do us both a favour![:(!][:(!][:(!]

The trouble with that plan is you'd have to push the water uphill! [}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 8 months ago #493232 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Crappy weather... fine...
..... and about 800 miles uphill at that.
The weather in paradise is still boring, and will be until Friday or longer ....

More
9 years 8 months ago #493239 by seatil
Replied by seatil on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Lots of rain here. The Hikurangi Swamp is once again a lake. Judging by the unofficial rain gauge (feed bucket hanging around in the wet), we got around 80-100mm over 48 hours. There's water and mud everywhere, and we're on volcanic soil, not clay!

To top it all off we spent 5 hours out in it yesterday getting drenched while searching for chooks that hightailed it over the fence and across multiple paddocks after the neighbour's bleeping dog got out of its containment and into the chook paddock.

Off to get a live capture trap this morning at the suggestion of animal control (unfortunately I only witnessed the dog in the paddock, not actually having a go at the chooks as the chooks had had the good sense to get as far away as possible, though the fresh feather piles and bare patches of skin on the chooks certainly suggest more than mere barking has happened).

Tonight I'll be trying to find a way to get power and ethernet to a shed that overlooks the chook paddock so that I can set up the web cam and hopefully catch the thing on video should it happen again.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493242 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Very wet here, so much rain on top of the 1-in-50-year event we had a couple of weeks ago. And we're on clay so it's a nightmare.

The goats have been in the shed for two days. This morning found one of our does had given birth to stillborn twins. She wasn't due for a couple of weeks....bugger bugger bugger.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
9 years 8 months ago #493246 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Kate, are your goats vaxed against Toxo and Campy? One year we had an abortion "storm" through our goat mob that turned out to be Toxo.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493248 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Well we welcomed the first day of spring with the much needed rain ...steady perfect stuff for most of the night and still drizzling ...perfect ...'tis warm and can see the grass responding already[^]

Sorry for your loss Kate :( :( ....some how the start of the season all too often starts with a loss ...hope the rest of your girls have smooth sailing and lots of gorgeous babies for you. :)

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 8 months ago #493249 by funnyfarm331
Sorry to hear about the kids Kate :( , it is always so disappointing to start with deaths, hope the rest of your girls wait until closer to due dates and all goes well.

After sloshing all winter we are at last back on terra firma here, another glorious day and a hint of growth starting to show - just enough to give us a glimmer of spring :) . The days of feeding out baleage etc are fast coming to an end for this season.

Hope that those who need rain get some and that those who have water to spare, dry up fast.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493250 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Crappy weather... fine...
i might have had 5 raindrops hit the windscreen on the way to work - it's gloomy and grey, but no rain - and we need it. The grass growth - Yes, Muri, it has already started even here in Taranaki, partway up the mountain - has stalled again for want of a good shower or two.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 8 months ago #493251 by muri
Gosh Kate sorry to hear that, didnt you have the same thing last year?
I just braved an outdoor walk, I have never seen my paddocks so wet and so much water lying on my paddocks. I cant get down the bottom as the stream that is never there except in heavy rain is there and deeper than my boots.
there is just no where for the water to go and we have only had 35 mls over the last 24 hours, nothing like what northlands getting

More
9 years 8 months ago #493263 by thevarneys
Its funny how the rain must have been quite isolated in places, we had rain continuously since fri night till sunday night, sunday was lighter, but still an empty almost straight sided bucket was full!
The official rain guage over the road had more than our massive torrential downpour last week. Schools were closed today, plenty of flooding yesterday and our road was impassible due to slips.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493266 by muri
We are up to 50mls, the state highway between here and Helensville closed, and no doubt worse once its full tide.
I compare rain fall with a few other people and because we live near a state forest, we seem to get a lot less rain. Most areas around us tend to get double our rainfall, it depend a bit on which direction the wind is in.
But you can guarentee when you drive home thru the rain and its the middle of the drought, it ALWAYS stops at the bottom of our road about 3km away

More
9 years 8 months ago #493270 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Thanks for all the sympathy - the doe isn't good, we think it's metabolic so have given her ketol and 100mls SC calcium. Possibly due to the weather....not a good start to kidding :( We're not supposed to start for another couple of weeks...

Web Goddess

More
9 years 8 months ago #493271 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Sorry to hear about your kids Kate. :( So disappointing when things don't work out, hope the doe will be ok.

The first one of mine had twins earlier this afternoon, we lost the buck but the doe twin looks lively but its rather chilly here so hopefully the lamb cover will help keep her warm. Just wish this awful weather would go away.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493280 by hilldweller

Kate;498258 wrote: Thanks for all the sympathy - the doe isn't good, we think it's metabolic so have given her ketol and 100mls SC calcium. Possibly due to the weather....not a good start to kidding :( We're not supposed to start for another couple of weeks...

With lambs I've found there's often one a few days early with some sort of problem, then a gap and the rest are fine. That first one doesn't necessarily set a pattern. Good luck with her and all the rest of them.

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds