Crappy weather... fine...

More
9 years 8 months ago #493164 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Crappy weather... fine...
It looks like another boring 4 days in the Nelson area. Sometimes boring is good :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493165 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Crappy weather... fine...
The rain isn't sooo bad here, only 55 mls so far, but the wind kept me awake most of the night, as it was belting against the bedroom wall at a great rate of knots.

Kaeo is going under water again though. It had reach the red portion on the level marker, just before the sun went down. And high tide is around 11pm, when the rain is forecast to continue till 3 tomorrow afternoon. Oh what fun !!!!!

We really have had enough rain up here. The water table is so high, it's going to take weeks for our clay soil to dry out enough, so the quad bike doesn't get so covered in mud each time I feed out hay.

I'm glad we've got plenty of hay this year. It's always hard to estimate how much you'll need, but erring on the side of excess never hurts.

I managed to find the cows a sheltered spot that was relatively clear of puddles, to feed them hay tonight. If they stay down in that hollow, they'll be out of the worst of the wind and rain. I came back to the house, soaked through three layers of clothing. Thank goodness for a lovely, cosy, Kent fire box.

Only one more month till the better weather usually starts here. I've timed the start of lambing to coincide with it. We'll see then, if my forward planning guess was correct?

Kate, I bet you're glad your kids are still safely tucked inside their mums this weekend!

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493190 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Still no blooming rain :(

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 8 months ago #493193 by chocolatewoolnz
No rain down here. Long may that continue. Thankfully we have had little rain the last few months with June (13mm), July (21mm) and August (13mm). I would be happy for that to continue for spring and summer.

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

More
9 years 8 months ago #493197 by thevarneys
Kaeo SH10 is under so travel probably not recommended on SH10 by Kaeo, unless you are desperate and have a 4wd. I am wondering what our road looks like, as last week we had a downpour and it was under water, by 2m in some places! It is unheard of as the river sits very low beside the road.
But it appears the whole gorge filled up! And our slips are probably worse, was down to 1 lane in 2 different places already! Don't think the tour buses will be travelling today.
Our power went off yesterday, so had candles and torches, (oven gas) and was just about to dish up dinner and OH said, its on at the neighbours. He checked and it was just a fuse circuit, water had gotten in somewhere. The kids were so disappointed we had to keep the lights off and candles on! :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493199 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Nothing here in North Taranaki since 6mm on the 19th, and only 106mm for August with most of that in the first two days of the month.

The month on month rainfall totals and weather behaviour is very much a replay of last year including unwinter-like sub-tropical weather systems featuring in the North Island again presently (as they did this time last year)and a scarcity of snow cover on Mt. Egmont compared to 'normal'. Or are we witnessing the new normal?

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 8 months ago #493203 by terralee
Still zilch here :(
Cheers

More
9 years 8 months ago #493204 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Crappy weather... fine...
Now sitting in Wn airport, watching the new Northland rain radar, wondering how much rain is really falling under the big blue cloud over our place? Will I get home today? Will I have to rely on the kindness of strangers ... ? What will the future hold?

More
9 years 8 months ago #493207 by terralee

Ruth;498186 wrote: Now sitting in Wn airport, watching the new Northland rain radar, wondering how much rain is really falling under the big blue cloud over our place? Will I get home today? Will I have to rely on the kindness of strangers ... ? What will the future hold?

So pensive Ruth[}:)]....looking for the meaning of life whilst waiting for your plane :p ....me thinks you will be in for a bumpy ride[}:)]

Still no rain here :(

Cheers

More
9 years 8 months ago #493208 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Crappy weather... fine...
We had rain all yesterday and a blistering cold wind, only 10mls of rain all up but it seemed more, min temp 12 but it felt a lot less with wind chill factor.
The heavy rain is supposed to come to auckland in the next few hours but the wind has switched from east to south so maybe we dont get that dump of rain
You will probably have a bit of a bouncy ride home Ruth, safe journey and arrival home, however that may be

More
9 years 8 months ago #493209 by Ruth
I'm sure the meaning of life must be in here somewhere!

More
9 years 8 months ago #493215 by Stikkibeek
Steady rain through the night, but quite light. More like a typical summer's day in England. Surface was a little slushy in places this morning, but is now dried up. So far, not the gusts of wind they were forcasting. Light spitting occaisionally.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 8 months ago #493217 by Ruth
Home now and there's only been about 25mm! Excellent. The plane didn't hit many bumps either.

More
9 years 8 months ago #493220 by hilldweller

terralee;498114 wrote: So ...best I get the animals sorted....outside feeds done so I can miss the rain ...so need rain[:0]
Cheers

I can't believe it's dry already up there. Didn't you get a big rain at some stage mid winter? If you've got a really really really long hose and want to send one end of it down here I'll connect it to the drain that runs through the lambing paddock and do us both a favour![;)] I do NOT want lambs arriving on squelchy non-growing grass[:(!][:(!][:(!]

hilldweller

More
9 years 8 months ago #493222 by terralee

hilldweller;498204 wrote: I can't believe it's dry already up there. Didn't you get a big rain at some stage mid winter? If you've got a really really really long hose and want to send one end of it down here I'll connect it to the drain that runs through the lambing paddock and do us both a favour![;)] I do NOT want lambs arriving on squelchy non-growing grass[:(!][:(!][:(!]

We have cracks HD real cracks :( :( grass is stalled but poised for rain ...will take off the moment it hits ...which I really hope is soon as we still have not got any :( ...Ewes and lambs are in the last paddock with any decent cover in
it and it won't last long if we dont get rain :(

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds