Bloated lamb - help!

More
9 years 6 months ago #495744 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Bloated lamb - help!
Ahh, be careful BlueSkyBee. I had a lamb very similar - would sometimes bloat, then seemed okay. He was on a slow teat and they both only got 350mL three or four times per day. Saturday morning we came out to find him dead in the paddock :(. I feel awful and wish I'd done more - I hadn't started the yoghurt milk thing yet but I am kicking myself for not getting on to it ASAP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495757 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Bloated lamb - help!
I would give her small amounts of water in bottles rather than buy electrolytes at this stage and I certainly would not give her pellets especially as you say, they will not get them once they boomerang back to the farm they came from. If she were younger maybe, but I wouldn't at this stage.

At this stage and size I would be tempted to wean her with the others and see what happens. We have had to wean lambs early from time to time and on good grass they have done well. By early I mean at the stage your lamb is at, although I know of lambs who have done okay having been weaned at 5-6 weeks.

I have a friend who is having the same issue with a couple of the orphan lambs she is rearing - Southdown x, and her plan is to wean earlier than normal by a week or two. Her lambs do get pellets and only 2 out of 10 are bloating from time to time.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495761 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bloated lamb - help!
EV, at more than about 6 weeks, Pulpy Kidney is just as likely as Abomasal Bloat. If PK then Lactobacillis caseii in the abomasum would not have made the slightest difference. Had he been vaxed with Lamb Vax or 5-in-1? If so then PK would be very unlikely.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495765 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Bloated lamb - help!

EV;500993 wrote: Ahh, be careful BlueSkyBee. I had a lamb very similar - would sometimes bloat, then seemed okay. He was on a slow teat and they both only got 350mL three or four times per day. Saturday morning we came out to find him dead in the paddock :(. I feel awful and wish I'd done more - I hadn't started the yoghurt milk thing yet but I am kicking myself for not getting on to it ASAP.

Bummer! How old was that lamb?

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
9 years 6 months ago #495767 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Bloated lamb - help!
......I assume the lamb is or going to be vaccinated

More
9 years 6 months ago #495768 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Bloated lamb - help!
kindajojo is that for me? They were all vaxxed about a month ago.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
9 years 6 months ago #495773 by kindajojo

BlueSkyBee;501020 wrote: kindajojo is that for me? They were all vaxxed about a month ago.

general observation.
I think most people would be vaccinating orphan lambs unless they knew the ewes had been vaccinated.
It's a waste to spend all that money and time on a lamb, and a bit hard on those children who raised them to watch their pets die when it can be avoided by a $1.40 worth of vaccine

More
9 years 6 months ago #495775 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Bloated lamb - help!
Hi, just to tell you what we have done over the many years we have reared lambs, we usually just cut down the amount of milk they get as we get towards weaning. I would cut them down to once a day, and even if you fed morning one day and evening the next, I would also say only give them say 100ml-150mls, they are possibly on good clover and grass which will help bloat them. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 6 months ago #495901 by vjp
Replied by vjp on topic Bloated lamb - help!
Hi I had a lamb that used to do this. Water down the lamb formula so it's more water and less formula. When bloated treat with olive oil and baking soda in a bottle with come cider vinegar mixed with water. Burp as you would baby. I used to sit done and have the lamb on his back propped up or I'd sling him over my shoulder like a baby. It's good when you hear the incredible burp!!

More
9 years 6 months ago #495902 by vjp
Also agree with the early weaning, bloating is never a good sign. If you can just wean

More
9 years 6 months ago #495904 by kindajojo
Never dilute milk powder...digestion relies on the mix curdling in the stomach when it hits the acid....if it is too watery it doesn't cuddly properly and will not digest properly....causing more problems

More
9 years 6 months ago #495906 by vjp
Well that's not what I was told.

More
9 years 6 months ago #495911 by LongRidge
If milk was supposed to be more watery then it would be. I suspect that who-ever told you to dilute milk did not fully understand the way it is digested.
Note that if the ewe had been vaccinated, there is no guarantee that any of the antibodies passed through the placenta. Only humans reliably have antibody transfer in utero. All other mammalian babies have to get the antibodies from the colostrum, and then within a limited, and unknown, period after birth while the digestive tract is able to "leak" these large molecules into the bloodstream. So if the baby suckled no colostrum, or too late, or not enough, then it won't have much or any protection from the mother's vaccination.

More
9 years 6 months ago #496267 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Bloated lamb - help!
My lamb had been vaccinated. Uncertain of exact age but 4-6 weeks.

We have two more lambs now - scungy orphan rejects found at docking. The ram lamb has taken to the bottle well and is slowly bulking up. The ewe lamb however still won't suck and we only get ~50mL into her each feed (3x day). She is small, slightly hunched, but not young looking. She does eat a lot of grass and is very slowly filling out, but I don't think she'll ever be a prime specimen (unfortunate, as I hope to get lambs from her next season).

Is it possible she went without her mother too long and can no longer digest milk so well? What else can I do for her?

More
9 years 6 months ago #496290 by LongRidge
We once had a lamb they never got used to humans feeding her. We had to tie her to the clothes line to be able to catch her to feed her..... which was a real nuisance for the 6 weeks or so that she needed feeding.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds