Bloated lamb - help!

More
9 years 7 months ago #38191 by BlueSkyBee
I have a lamb that is 22 days old, she gets fed 250ml 4 x a day. This afternoon she bloated up hugely after her feed. I checked out some remedies, and fed her some baking soda solution, and some oil. She has been doing quite liquidy dark green poos (she is very keen on grass) and farting a bit as well. She is due for another feed, her tummy has decreased a bit, but not as much as I'd like really.

I'm NOT going to feed her this time, but I'm wondering how long I need to wait until I CAN give her some milk? She's been 6 hours now, do I just wait until her stomach has completely gone down?

I'm thinking of trying her with 100ml to begin with when I do feed her again, and then see how that goes, how does that sound?

Any other tips? Oh she's been fed on lamb milk replacer with acidophilus added for the past week or two, doesn't seem to have helped her much unfortunately!

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492923 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Bloated lamb - help!
Don't feed more milk. Feed some vigest or water with a bit of glucose/ dextrose/ sugar until she comes right ...if there are bugs feeding on the milk, then more milk will aggrevate the problem, but keep up the fluid.
Is the hole on the teat too big so she guzzled.....

More
9 years 7 months ago #492926 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Bloated lamb - help!
Thanks.

I have revive, shall I try 100ml of that?

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
9 years 7 months ago #492930 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Bloated lamb - help!
yep revive or any electrolites is great for a bit .. elkectrolites best i think .. i had a lamb bloat like that 2 years a go .. took her into Vets and they showed me where to stab her with a syringe needle to let the bloated air out .. right hand side about 1/2 way between ribs and leg muscle .. she bloated up again 2 days later so i did her myself with syringe needle here at home .. Midget is now a 2 tooth ( still thinks she is a dog and not a sheep ) and a happy healthy girl :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #492931 by BlueSkyBee
That is interesting Stu, I was wondering about that, as you do with cows...

I spent 1/2 the afternoon running the 3 lambs up and down the driveway to try to get her to fart it all out! Can lambs burp, or do they have to poo/fart it all out?

More
9 years 7 months ago #492933 by BlueSkyBee
oh and how long to feed electrolytes, and how do i know when to start milk again? Would I start mixing milk in slowly at some stage and see how that goes?

ETA - She just scarfed down 100ml of electrolytes, is that enough, or should I be trying to give her the 250ml of electrolytes?

More
9 years 7 months ago #492935 by kindajojo
Give it an hour or so, is she less bloated?
Don't give watered down milk...

More
9 years 7 months ago #492937 by BlueSkyBee
Oh OK, I just read on the packet of the electrolytes that the prepared solution can be mixed with milk...

Yes, she is looking quite a lot better. Whew!

More
9 years 7 months ago #492938 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Bloated lamb - help!

BlueSkyBee;497890 wrote: oh and how long to feed electrolytes, and how do i know when to start milk again? Would I start mixing milk in slowly at some stage and see how that goes?

ETA - She just scarfed down 100ml of electrolytes, is that enough, or should I be trying to give her the 250ml of electrolytes?

A normal size feed of electrolytes is fine. more wont hurt her (she will just pee it out).

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 7 months ago #492940 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Bloated lamb - help!

BlueSkyBee;497888 wrote: That is interesting Stu, I was wondering about that, as you do with cows...

I spent 1/2 the afternoon running the 3 lambs up and down the driveway to try to get her to fart it all out! Can lambs burp, or do they have to poo/fart it all out?

the only similarity is that you remove gas....other than that it is a different part of the gut on a different side of the animal ;-)

get someone to show you properly...don't go poking holes blindly!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 7 months ago #492942 by BlueSkyBee
Haha thanks cowvet, there is NO way you'd get me poking holes in any animal, I'd make a vet do it!! I'm too squeamish.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492945 by kindajojo

BlueSkyBee;497894 wrote: Oh OK, I just read on the packet of the electrolytes that the prepared solution can be mixed with milk...

Yes, she is looking quite a lot better. Whew!

Thats good if she has perked up, maybe given her a couple of small milk feeds an hour or so apart. Should be back to normal by the morning

More
9 years 7 months ago #492950 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bloated lamb - help!
See your other post. I suggest a slower teat, too.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492960 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Bloated lamb - help!
If the volume is too large, or if the milk is too hot, it can encourage bloat, or as LR says, drinking too fast.
Adding some yoghurt or probiotic to every feed does seem to prevent bloat

More
9 years 7 months ago #493001 by BlueSkyBee
I was gutted last night to see another lamb with bloat, not as bad though, so same regime, oil + baking soda, electrolytes, and today both lambs are looking fine again, thank goodness, seeing as they are my sons calf club lambs!

I'm making sure all milk is cold (I never warm it much, generally room temp) always with yogurt, and have instituted a rule to take the lambs off the teat every 10 seconds for 10 seconds, or sooner for 10 seconds if they seem to gag or slip off the teat.

Going to buy 3 new teats as well, the holes seem like they might be a little worn, so they could be flowing a bit too fast.

Fingers crossed all this will prevent a relapse!!

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds