Just buried two lambs this morning.

More
9 years 7 months ago #38188 by muri
The first I found yesterday when i moved sheep from paddocks. Possibly born prem, nicely formed, and of course from the breed that I am trying to expand so it was a much anticipated birth, of course. {But still one to go from that breed]
The other, would normally come under the heading of unexplained deaths that most people would probably right off as one of the basic things that could have been avoided with vaccinations perhaps.
Twin lamb, two weeks old, doing really well, bouncing and racing around last night, floppy and blind this morning. Rushed it to the vets for a thiamin injection but dead when i got home at lunch time.
Happened so fast but because I had the same symptoms last year ie blindness and sudden floppyness I felt that it was the same this year. [last years lamb did recover]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492898 by Deanna
That's a shame Muri. Thankfully just one of the twins.

Last year was my 1st lambing, 18 ewes lambed and one set of twins and no deaths.

This year 23 lambs so far, a couple of ewes still to go, one dead single, one dead twin and one Siamese pair dead. It appears I was lead in gently last year.

I have a vet living next door I have not met yet (in 20 months) I will sure hope she is home when I do need her.

I hope you other ewe of that breed does well.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492899 by Geba
Sad...lambing time is so full of highs and lows. We lost one last year just because Mum started cleaning from the wrong end and the lamb suffocated, and one prem like yours, one which Mum sat on and squashed, one to pneumonia, and one beautiful big girl (actually the twin of the squashed one) to pulpy kidney. One more died after being abandoned at day four and (probably) pneumonia as well - it responded to meds, glucose & bottle but wilted after a week. Lambing is challenging and fun but it certainly has its low points :(

More
9 years 7 months ago #492909 by max2
Sorry to hear that Muri. Lambs are odd creatures, they do go down quickly unfortunately.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492918 by Mich
I'm with the others, Muri - real sorry about your losses. All the best for your "one to go" breed birth.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492922 by cowvet

muri;497850 wrote: The first I found yesterday when i moved sheep from paddocks. Possibly born prem, nicely formed, and of course from the breed that I am trying to expand so it was a much anticipated birth, of course. {But still one to go from that breed]
The other, would normally come under the heading of unexplained deaths that most people would probably right off as one of the basic things that could have been avoided with vaccinations perhaps.
Twin lamb, two weeks old, doing really well, bouncing and racing around last night, floppy and blind this morning. Rushed it to the vets for a thiamin injection but dead when i got home at lunch time.
Happened so fast but because I had the same symptoms last year ie blindness and sudden floppyness I felt that it was the same this year. [last years lamb did recover]

I see quite a bit of B1 deficiency (thiamine). I cant think of one case I have ever seen in a lamb so young (2 weeks). Generally we see it in November December in older youngies.
Sudden death with floppiness (neurological) at 2 weeks of age then I would seriously question brain abscess/meningitis, or pulpy kidney.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 7 months ago #492961 by muri
It did have all the classic signs of thiamin deficiency - head turned to the sky and blindness
Cowvet I though pulpy kidney was most unusual in lambs under 6 weeks?

More
9 years 7 months ago #492967 by terralee
Sorry to hear of your loss Muri :(
I have never had a case of thiamin deficiency ....what causes it (and I do realise it is a deficit of thiamin[;)]) but wonder why we have not encountered it during our time breeding sheep ...on 4 different properties in 4 very different areas:confused: Just wondering what to look out for ..and how to combat it if we ever get a case.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 7 months ago #492976 by Baroque
Sorry to hear about your losses Muri, :( I found one dead when I got home yesterday too. :(

It was the ram out of the twins born on Sunday, he looked healthy and had been running about the day before and appeared to be feeding ok but was very dead yesterday afternoon. He was lying in a strange position on his belly with front legs stretched out so wonder if he was squashed.

I found a stillborn doe kid in the goat paddock a few days ago when I was shifting the girls, she looked perfect in every way but was way too early as they are due from next week onwards. The mother seems ok and is eating everything in sight, so hopefully no issues there. The rest of the goat flock are all looking like goatwhales so it looks like there will be a population explosion shortly. :D

There's only one more ewe to lamb now and she is colossal in size! "Lamb" is a Romney X hogget from "Mrs Sheep" and Lamb is bigger than any of the other ewes on the property, she is so big in fact that she struggles to go through my Hecton handler both in height and in width, although hopefully once she's lambed her belly will fit through a bit more easily. [;)]

Lamb Tally so far: 15 pure Arapawa lambs, 1 Arapawa X lamb = 16 live births out of which we have lost one ewe and one ram which were both pure Arapawa lambs.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492983 by ahdeek
Sorry to hear about your losses Muri and know how you feel, but could have been worst - like our week from hell - 4/5 kids dead, 1/2 goats mums dead.... we are hoping the sheep which are now due will be alot better then our goats this week.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492984 by funnyfarm331
What a shame, hope the last one to go is straight forward for you.

Each season certainly has its highs and lows.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492985 by Baroque

ahdeek;497945 wrote: Sorry to hear about your losses Muri and know how you feel, but could have been worst - like our week from hell - 4/5 kids dead, 1/2 goats mums dead.... we are hoping the sheep which are now due will be alot better then our goats this week.

:( I'm so sorry to hear about your week from hell with the goats and hope your sheep bring you more joy.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 7 months ago #492991 by Geba
"Goatwhales"...I love that!

We have 21 ewes left to go of which about half are definitely 'sheepwhales'. Strangely the ones who have already lambed were not the biggest-looking. This happened last year too, I watched the biggest waddlers carefully every day and nothing happened (for quite a while, anyway) whilst all around them the more svelte-looking had lamb after lamb!

Good luck everyone..

More
9 years 7 months ago #492996 by muri
TL the lamb was one of twins, it was lying with its head at right angles to its body and it was quite blind. Could well be that it is the wrong time of the year for the thiamin deficiency to show. The vet who was there [and a locum not their usual vet] said you can get it from the soil where the lambs are eating the dirt.
I will get more info when I go to pay the bill as there are very experienced sheep vets at our practice
But, because it didnt respond to the thiamin at all, then possibly it could be more as cowvet says, something like meningitis? Altho not all sheep will necessarily respond to thiamin if they do have the deficiency.
Last year I had a little lamb in the same condition and it did respond really well to the thiamin and came right very quickly

More
9 years 7 months ago #493041 by muri
Whats worrying now is the twin to the one that died two days ago is now in the same state. I will take her to the vets as I think I need an autopsy done on this one.
Very disappointing now

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds