Weed Identification Help Please

More
9 years 9 months ago #38119 by suckerpunchnz
Hey guys!

Is anyone able to help me identify these weeds please?
Also would be good to know, what the soil condition these weeds signify and what kind of selective herbicide is needed to get rid of them.

Thanks heaps!

Weed 1

Weed 2

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #492240 by Organix
Weed 1, not sure but looks similar to wild carrot.
Weed 2, Either a mallow or perhaps hydrocotyle.

Both IDs would be easier with flowers.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #492243 by Ozymandias
Weed 2 is possibly scrambling speedwell, Google some images and compare. This is a plant to be admired for its racy name at least.

More
9 years 9 months ago #492254 by muri
Weed 1 wont open but possibly a young storksbill, altho that usually has red on the stem
No 2 is a buttercup I think

More
9 years 9 months ago #492264 by Cigar

muri;497134 wrote: Weed 1 wont open but possibly a young storksbill, altho that usually has red on the stem
No 2 is a buttercup I think

Yep, I agree - number 1 is storksbill, there has been a lot around here this winter.
Number 2 looks like celery-leaved buttercup.

Storksbill is quite difficult to control, but we have had good results with a mixture of Preside and Select (+ Uptake spraying oil). Preside will also control buttercup.

More
9 years 9 months ago #492265 by Stikkibeek
weed 1 is young carrot weed. Very difficult to get rid of due to tap root which will regenerate, but is edible to a variety of livestock in its fresh young form. (chooks, pukes, cattle, sheep, goats)
weed 2 is buttercup. Check your soil for ph. balance. Lime may be needed as buttercup thrives on acidic/sour soil. Sheep will eat off the flowers without real harm, although they are not ideal for either sheep or for control, they can reduce the probability of seeding.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 9 months ago #492269 by Cigar

Stikkibeek;497146 wrote: weed 1 is young carrot weed. Very difficult to get rid of due to tap root which will regenerate, but is edible to a variety of livestock in its fresh young form. (chooks, pukes, cattle, sheep, goats)

If by carrot weed you mean parsley dropwort (there are several different weeds called carrot weed), it isn't that - unfortunately I have that as well :(

More
9 years 9 months ago #492270 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
2 is creeping buttercup.. currently trying to get rid of heaps of this myself.

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
9 years 9 months ago #492271 by Stikkibeek

Cigar;497150 wrote: If by carrot weed you mean parsley dropwort (there are several different weeds called carrot weed), it isn't that - unfortunately I have that as well :(

probably the dropwort one. It has a distinctive carrot smell and flowers on it similar to Queen Ann's Lace, though not as big. Pukeko dig out the root as far as they can reach here, at this time of the year, so it is palatible..

More
9 years 9 months ago #492275 by muri
Stikki, carrot weed has a denser rosette than that and probably not just 5 leaves like that.
The buttercup is not the creeping one, it is sown by seed and does not have runners

More
9 years 9 months ago #492281 by 4trees
Hi, storksbill 1st photo. Lime is very beneficial to start and control this weed. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 9 months ago #492321 by Stikkibeek
Ok, I've been out with the camera this morning and found a few specimens to photograph.
1 is Pasley dropwort. Please note, in juvenile single plants it does not show the rosette it will later develop. Rosettes develop by way of the tiny tubers that it produces on the ends of the root stalks and they become multi stemmed. Note the tiny brown end on this specimen. It is the tuber just beginning to grow.

2. Comparison between Parsley dropwort and storks bill. Leaf shape very similar, but storkbill is much larger and slightly paler green
3. Wild carrot. Note it has a hairy stem and leaves and is much finer.
Wild achillea, known commonly as yarrow can look similar.
4. Creeping buttercup. aka meadow buttercup.It can have purplish markings on older leaves. Fairly vigorousWe have a shiny leaved one as well which doesn't creep, but uncertain of which one that is.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/497209=14377-seatcover 081.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/497209=14379-seatcover 084.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/497209=14380-seatcover 087.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/497209=14381-seatcover 090.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/497209=14382-seatcover 091.jpg[/img]

More
9 years 9 months ago #492330 by suckerpunchnz
Wow! Thanks Stikkibeek!

Do you think a selective broadleaf weed killer would tackle these weeds for me?

More
9 years 9 months ago #492335 by stephclark
blerdy creeping buttercup.. bain of my life.. for the paddocks we us agritone..kills the buttercup,pennyroyal,dock..
very satisfying to spray one day and go out a couple of days later and the dreaded buttercup is curly wurly and dying! :D

More
9 years 9 months ago #492798 by suckerpunchnz
Any other recommendations of a broadleaf selective herbicide?
I've got about 150m2 lawn infested with it.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds