Older orphan lambs

More
9 years 8 months ago #38097 by Puddleduck
Hi LSBers,

We've had to shoot a ewe with 6wk old lambs.

Anyone got tips on rearing these babies, have reared lots of lambs but not of this age, very strong and wild!

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492011 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Older orphan lambs
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, old ewe died and left a 6 week old lamb. Both were quite feral compared with the rest of my flock.
After about a week the lamb was happy to be fed and the quietest sheep in my flock now.
Its a matter of having a confined space and being able to block them in and force feed initially probably.
Some sheep that age may not accept a bottle so you may just have to wean them young. If you can have them on the best grass and supp feed with sheep nuts or similar they would be having a better chance than just weaned cold

More
9 years 8 months ago #492014 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Older orphan lambs
We did similar with a goat baby last season and he was quite a bit older. Took him about 3 days to get the idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 8 months ago #492021 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Older orphan lambs
Hi, persaverance is the secret to getting older lambs to feed, put some glucose in the milk, you will find they will rather go hungry than let you feed them. Make sure that you have some water available for them at all times. I generally confine them in a smallish pen with some fresh grass in it, and then try them for at least about 5-7 minutes to get them to have a little feed. Success happens sometimes, refusal also happens!! Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 8 months ago #492049 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Older orphan lambs
We had the same a month or so ago. Twins though, and one ended up dying. But the boy (dammit) is now perfectly fine, loves his bottle and happily plays with our other orphan :D Took about a week to get him to feed. Funnily enough, on the day it was all set to end for him, he decided he was going to drink..

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
9 years 8 months ago #492060 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Older orphan lambs
We had this happen with lambs 7 or 8 weeks old and we could not catch them or get them into the yards. Had we been able to get them there it would have been with the others and probably would have been impossible to know which ones they were. So we left them but saw they were stealing from other ewes when they could. They ended up growing almost the same as the others.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492074 by Puddleduck
Replied by Puddleduck on topic Older orphan lambs
One is feeding and will have it sussed by tomorrow, but the big one smashed itself into the wall so many times, I think its done some permanent neuro damage :( What do you do, probably would have fared better if left with the flock. Ahhh, Bummer.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492137 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Older orphan lambs
Hi. looks like you won over the easy one, can you have a wee pen or corner that you can run the other one into where he hasn't got a big run up to slam himself and do damage. He will settle down, but as said earlier it takes patience.
We have a pen about 5m x 5m, but our wood shed is in this pen and we just run the lamb around and into the woodshed and we can shut the door and I often will feed the easy lamb and the shy one will become curious and come to have a look, not that he will drink on his own, you have to put the teat into their mouth and hold them to get them used to it all and that is the patience part!!! Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds