Ducklings!

More
9 years 8 months ago #38093 by Tui Ridge
Ducklings! was created by Tui Ridge
I have ducklings hatching in my incubator :D

Day 27, 1 hatched overnight, 1 is hatching at the moment.

These are khaki campbell duckings - I will be keeping them for a week and then they will go to kids at the boys school to raise for Ag day in October (which i'm being Judge's assistant for [;)])

The lady who does the judging and normally supplies the ducklings found that her young drake appears to be firing blanks [}:)] and so we are using my ducks eggs this year - which all appear to be fertile [^]

Between us we have 45 eggs in 2 incubators hoping to supply 13 ducklings. Hopefully I will get more hatching over the next couple of days (I've never tried hatching ducklings in my incubator - its a cheap import one so fingers crossed!) and her eggs are on day 25. :)

I'll get some photos later when I move them to the brooder.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491943 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Ducklings!
Look forward to photos.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491957 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Ducklings!
Well done, can't wait to see some photos!

We have our incubator heating now as I have Welsh Harlequin eggs in transit which should be here tomorrow, so will get them in the incubator on Saturday.

Duck eggs are certainly a little more involved than chook eggs so interested to see what your final % is.

What a wonderful project for the school :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #491978 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
Replied by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com on topic Ducklings!
Exciting, look forward to photos

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492066 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Ducklings!
A quick tip told to me, from a successful duck breeder, is that he sprayed the duck eggs with warm water each day, from the beginning til the end of incubation. I'm going to try that with this year's hatch and see if I can improve my hatch rate.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492082 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
Thanks for that tip, I've got eggs in a cheap incubator right now, it's my first attempt.

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492154 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Ducklings!

Inger;496926 wrote: A quick tip told to me, from a successful duck breeder, is that he sprayed the duck eggs with warm water each day, from the beginning til the end of incubation. I'm going to try that with this year's hatch and see if I can improve my hatch rate.

that's what we do, too, and it worked fine each time. we actually had more success hatching 12 eggs in our small cheap incubator than we had when we sent 3 dozen to a professional hatchery!

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 8 months ago #492217 by funnyfarm331
We too have duck eggs incubating and were told by the egg seller to dampen them from day 8 which Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks confirms to do, so that is our plan.

Great to know it has worked. Would love to see some photos :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #492236 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Ducklings!
Still no pics then :( hint hint[;)]

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 8 months ago #492242 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Ducklings!
Well it all went a bit pear shaped :(

That first night I put the 1st 2 ducklings in the brooder and it was stormy and the light socket (not the bulb) blew out and I lost 1 of the ducklings :(

Another hatched in the incubator that night but another got stuck in the shell and died :(

so I only ended up with 2 ducklings from 18 fertile eggs - all but 2 of those fully developed but none others even tried to hatch.

I was spraying the eggs every time I topped up the water so every 2nd day.

here are my 2 little babies ....

and in the mean time I have bought myself a new 'proper' incubator [}:)]

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
9 years 8 months ago #492245 by Olivia
Replied by Olivia on topic Ducklings!
GRRRR! [:(!] I know the frustration TR - last season I set 23 eggs under broodies & what with one hen going off being broody, a hurriedly made incubator accidentally cooking half the forsaken eggs, a cold snap taking out 2 chicks &, later, one pullet going missing (think the hawk took her), the final result is 1 minorca pullet from the 4(!) eggs that hatched, out of the original 23....so believe it or not, you're doing good by comparison [B)]

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492248 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Ducklings!
oh how very disappointing for you guys.. :( .. sad the little ones came so close to hatching..

More
9 years 8 months ago #492273 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
Anyone know why they would die before trying to hatch?

More
9 years 8 months ago #492293 by funnyfarm331
That is so disappointing - I was hoping to hear you had an awesome hatch rate :( . I hope that the 2 you have are doing well.

From my research, it sounds to me that the humidity may have been the issue, although Dave Holderread in his book also says that an increase in temperature during the last 5 days of incubation will cause ducklings to die pre hatching.

Does your incubator have a hygrometer or a wet bulb thermometer?

Because our incubator is old we have to turn our eggs and keep a very close eye on the temps etc. A schedule of turning and temps etc gets written up each time and Andrew has noted on it to watch the temp from day 21 as it can rise. By the end of an incubation period I am more than ready to hear some peeps and then realise how intense the whole episode was.

What incubator did you buy?

More
9 years 8 months ago #492319 by The Black Pixie
Replied by The Black Pixie on topic Ducklings!
Not quite on topic but sounds like there are a few duck breeders here so hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question...I have recently bought three Pekin ducks, primarily as clean up crew/bug control in my vege patch. They were advertised as two girls and a drake...I've only had them for a few weeks and the tail feather on one of the "girl" has now completely curled and it's looking like I actually have two drakes and a girl. To balance things out I'm after two more girl Pekins to buy. Based in Matakohe and happy to travel a couple of hours either north or south to collect if anyone has any they want to sell?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds