Planting wood for fire or timber?/other non grazing uses of paddock...

More
9 years 10 months ago #37958 by onceacitygal
We got our lifestyle block for the space/countryside for the kids and the massive workshop for my partner to play/work in!…. We grow plenty in the space we have allocated and we are not particularly all that interested in having animals of our own (would get sheep potentially in the future but do not feel the need to (!))
We have a very large paddock which the previous owner attempted to plant out as a fire/timber block. They didn’t look after the trees and they died so we pulled them out (they were young) – My mother in law says (she knows right :D ?!) we should now plant pines in this field for timber (therefore money !) in the future…

anyone else have experience of this? Have you planted a wood block for fire/timber/money reasons?! How many pines would you need to grow to make a profit? Are pines worth it? how long would it take?

What would you do with a huge paddock if you didn’t have animals on it!
Any advice on this appreciated! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490426 by kaiapoi-ken

More
9 years 10 months ago #490429 by Buttons
There were a few farms out near my parents that tried this and none of them made money but in saying that they were planted on really steep land that wasn't being used for anything and just left there. One lot was so bad they could only get them removed if it was done for free :)

Takes about 20 years.

I also wouldn't recommend it if you suffer from hay fever as you'll end up with 20 years of terrible hay fever like I did :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #490432 by kai
I don't suffer from hayfever, but one of my cats does and when we lived next to a pine plantation he suffered really badly, so definitely something to consider.
I would find out how much it would be worth before deciding to plant it. You could also plant fruit trees which obviously a bit more work, may end up with a bigger profit.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490445 by 4trees
Hi, what about planting coppicing or firewood Eucalypts which will be available for firewood faster than Pines. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 10 months ago #490450 by Stikkibeek
Growing pines for timber will not be any good as milling companies no longer harvest small blocks. If you are ideally situated, there might be a Christmas tree market for them but you would be better off planting for food or firewood

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 10 months ago #490459 by cowvet
we harvested some pines a couple of years ago - about 4 hectares. It cost about as much to remove them as we got paid for them... the contractor and the transport companies made more money out of them than we did.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 10 months ago #490461 by muri
If you want to grow timber for your own firewood, I would not recommend pines. They are not particularly fast growing trees that provide hot burning wood, I am not sure how many years it takes to develop what they call old man pine which is good for firewood.
Eucalypt I would not highly recommend. I have planted groves of it for firewood and it has really issues with pests. It is also a problem in high winds, its the gums that tend to fall over
I have had a lot of luck with tasmanian blackwood which also coppice well but do best with protection from high winds
Best of all I have found casurina or sheoke, they grow a metre a year and the wood is very dense , I find it a better burning wood than gum
another good burning wood that is very hot is cryptomeria or japanese ceder, also a fast growing tree
Try growing a variety of plantings and see which trees grow best for you.
And if you think there is money in growing trees for firewood then the only way to do this is to chop, split and sell direct. Outsiders wont be giving you any value for money for trees for firewood

More
9 years 10 months ago #490464 by kindajojo
As above small lots for time are no economical, but if you want to set up a small business supplying firewood, plant gums, nitens is a recommended species they grow very fast and depending on your location you could be cutting at year 5. They also coppice well.
Xmas trees are an option if you want income ..no animals, but make sure you get stock that is suitable GF.
There is niche firewood supply ...providing small blocks to elderly who only have small fires,
And the normal firewood suppliers the blocks are often too large.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490482 by muri
KJJ, it was the Nitens I actually planted. A small lerp, also imported from australia, does a lot of damage to them

More
9 years 10 months ago #490703 by onceacitygal
Thanks all - that is all very helpful!!!

Especially Kaiapoi "I've got a bit more than a bee in my bonnet" Ken ;-)

More
9 years 10 months ago #490705 by kernels
Let us know what you end up deciding on. Don't worry about Kaiapoi "anti-flash-houses" Ken :D

More
9 years 10 months ago #490708 by onceacitygal
thanks! I think we might go for the Nitens - say 100 of them ... we already have a few big Baga (?) which are doing ok after 3 or so years .... so will stick to the gum.... we are racing though the firewood!

More
9 years 10 months ago #490711 by muri
Why not try a mixture of trees, that way if some dont seem right for your area as i have had difficulties with Nitens, you are possibly giving yourselves a wider opportunity in the firewood department of the future

More
9 years 10 months ago #490712 by Deanna
We have gum trees that re grow after being harvested, twice I think. I think they needed a watering system in place when they first went in. So I'm not sure if you can grow them without a watering system, they certainly don't have one now and are mature. Exellent for firewood. My son had used it for wood turning too. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds