Bee In My Bonnet

More
9 years 9 months ago #490745 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Blackberry, having spent last sat shifting a 6 1/2m aviary here, I can tell you how not to do it.
If you hire one of those car transporter trailers, they are about 6m long and just tow it with a 4x4. I had measured a friends one, is how I know the dimensions [ but no one would tow it as it had no rego or warrant]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490753 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Bee In My Bonnet
On a slightly different tangent, there's an interesting article by Linda Sanders in this week's "Listener" in the Money section, entitled "Landed in paradise". The subtitle is "Ageing communities are looking for council flexibility so they can keep living the rural idyll."

The article's predominantly about what options there are for those who are living a rural lifestyle, but are now reaching retirement and may be at the point where their current property is getting too difficult to maintain. It suggests options that councils might consider to help older people remain in their homes, and also how local businesses (e.g. raw milk producers, cheese makers, home butchers etc) can support those people. The article also mentions how the way we manage our land is an important economic topic.

The author was part of a community organisation that received Lotteries Commission funding to research this issue. It would be great to read more about the findings as the article was only one page long and I could easily have read more. :D

Cheers, Mich.

PS - I've now emailed the Listener to see if the research that the article mentions is available for members of the public to read.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490759 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bee In My Bonnet
We have relatives who subdivided their block into a 1 hectare block around the house which is all garden, and the remainder which was sold. They had to get Resource Consent to allow this, and their application argued that this allowed them to continue to live in their home and the community they know, and use their orchard etc. despite their decreasing mobility, while allowing someone else to make productive use of the farmland. Win-win.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490780 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Wow, we haven't had such a stirring 'discussion' since some of our original members took to bickering with each other. (I guess it was better than watching WWF).

The forum grew up and became more tolerant of other people's views and tried to promote country living by giving help and advice on animal and plant care to newbees who needed the knowledge. In the hope that more people could enjoy living in the country and learn to be as self sufficient as they were comfortable with.

As one who grew up on a farm, I understand the need to be neighbourly. You never knew when the time might come, that you really needed the help of your neighbour and previous ill-feelings would likely get in the way, of getting that need met. Even owners of 10 acre blocks filled with too many vehicles, might have other skills (like being a health professional) that could be sorely needed, if you had an accident on your lifestyle block. No one is all bad, just as no one is totally correct. Some Camomile tea might be a better way to start your day perhaps? ;) Or watching calves or lambs skipping around a paddock. That always gives me joy.

I might add that I'd love to have a large house eventually, as our present 4 room cottage (that's total rooms) is just too small. If this place ever sells, we hope to move to a property with a larger house, so we can have spare bedrooms for visitors - and a proper kitchen!

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490808 by HarryHarris
Replied by HarryHarris on topic Bee In My Bonnet
This is a fairly interesting read. I'm a software developer and don't really have any intention of using my land for anything in particular at this stage and Yes I'm going to build a big house on it and drive my silly performance cars, but why shouldn't I? I work my butt off often 60-80 hours a week so people like those on here complaining can have things like internet banking systems, heart monitors and aircraft navigation systems to name a few.

Don't get me wrong I have plans to set up some veggie gardens and planting some fruit trees, add some strips of native trees, but otherwise I'm just going to enjoy having my own place I can walk around with my dogs and get some peace and quiet.

Is that so wrong?

More
9 years 9 months ago #490813 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bee In My Bonnet
HarryHarris

I do not believe that is wrong in the slightest. I would take exception to you driving your performance cars round your block at loud noise at stupid o'clock in the morning, but other than that, I would not have a problem with them.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490824 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bee In My Bonnet

kai;495545 wrote: HarryHarris

I do not believe that is wrong in the slightest. I would take exception to you driving your performance cars round your block at loud noise at stupid o'clock in the morning, but other than that, I would not have a problem with them.

I would add if the dust, fumes and noise came down to my place I would.

Like the 40 something boy racer up the road who feels he and his mates can burn their tyres on our road 10 acres away from me. I still get the fumes and smoke down at my place. [}:)][}:)][}:)]

More
9 years 9 months ago #490825 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Actually I object to other people driving their performance cars around within earshot of me....

.......but only if they don't offer me a drive..

More
9 years 9 months ago #490828 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Interesting discussion, when looking for our lifestyle block we considered a 10 acre block but working full time would not do justice with that amount of land. We chose a small 1 acre block and love it yes we are productive in veges fruits etc however the peace of the country is what appealed most.

In this forum it is perhaps unhelpful when making intense value judgements against the peaceful wishes of others. The value of a lifestyle block however you wish to judge it is formed by the needs and value of the owner.
We live in a market economy and people buy what they want. |If they sell and subdivide for money I have no issue with this. Having recently come from CHCH I know that lifestyle blocks have jumped in price significantly in this area. My home currently being repared in chch has doubled in price so personally I am very happy.

When I sell this home Ill be mortage free in 3 years so that's just life with a lovely block that meets my current needs.

However I do not sit in judgement of others based on my values and beliefs , and it is unhelpful to KK to do the same without giving or providing an opportunity to be enlightened regarding how owners use their land.

Assumptions appear to have become reality and also appear to be ruminating in KKs mind thus only causing personal suffering.

However I also understand the large house syndrome as when we looked for a home most blocks were large homes but bare blocks we thought why? the time the trees grew for shelter and matured we would be ready for retirement. We thus chose what made us happy, and isn't that what life is about the pursuit of happiness in what ever form.?

PS: while I have a 1 acre block or large garden as you say I also own over 234 ha in 4 blocks in Onuku in Akaroa, Kai iwi , Whanganui and Taupo , just thought I needed to establish my credentials for you Ken before you laughed at the size of my living lifestyle block. ..seek to be happy whatever your position in life.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490830 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Bee In My Bonnet
I think its a sorry person who for their amusement on a 'drab and dreary' day sets out to intentionally sit in judgement on others and revel in the reactions they cause. I would hope that someone who creates this response in others would seek seclusion as they provide no improvement to the very society they sit to judge. As they seek to belittle and bemoan those who they determine are unproductive on their land then may they themselves reflect on their productivity in our online community. What value are you bringing?

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490835 by tehoro
Replied by tehoro on topic Bee In My Bonnet
We use our paddock for entertainment, mostly, although there is a horse in residence.

More
9 years 8 months ago #490946 by griev
Replied by griev on topic Bee In My Bonnet

Blueberry;495467 wrote: Oh, and the new plastic house will, obviously, also be situated within the most productive zone.

IT"S AT THE FREIGHT DEPOT NOW!! I'm so excited!!!!

apparently, the longest part is 6 m long - hubby is currently puzzling out how we bring it onto the property - our track is not suited for larger trucks....[8D][8D] - that little details somehow was not considered when I placed the order.... :D :p :o

have you managed to get it home?

I regularly bring home 6m lengths , we have a tandem trailer and I put long item exactly in the centre and as far to the front as poss

use a warning flag for the rear, there are certain overhang lengths but you should be ok, if it is flexible I will tie 4 X 2 to the trailer and strap the item to that, and tow it home.

easy as

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
9 years 8 months ago #490955 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Bee In My Bonnet

kaiapoi-ken;495454 wrote:
It's been an interesting exercise reading this thread and even if only one or two people have paused to think about their land it's been worthwhile.

That is just a pathetic effort to give an excuse for your rudeness. Judging others based on your limited knowledge of all LSB owners.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 8 months ago #490962 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Bee In My Bonnet

griev;495690 wrote: have you managed to get it home?

I regularly bring home 6m lengths , we have a tandem trailer and I put long item exactly in the centre and as far to the front as poss

use a warning flag for the rear, there are certain overhang lengths but you should be ok, if it is flexible I will tie 4 X 2 to the trailer and strap the item to that, and tow it home.

easy as

yup, it's home - we did rent a vehicle trailer - worked great[^]. We now have a great big pile of various length steel and numerous mysterious parcels[8D] taking up space until we have finished weeding the orchard and clearing the future tunnel house space. HE WHO DOES THE HEAVY WORK is eying the rapidly growing number of seedling trays in the conservatory with great misgivings...(hint, hint...[}:)] :) )

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 8 months ago #490970 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bee In My Bonnet

Blueberry;495707 wrote: yup, it's home - we did rent a vehicle trailer - worked great[^]. We now have a great big pile of various length steel and numerous mysterious parcels[8D] taking up space until we have finished weeding the orchard and clearing the future tunnel house space. HE WHO DOES THE HEAVY WORK is eying the rapidly growing number of seedling trays in the conservatory with great misgivings...(hint, hint...[}:)] :) )

Luv it! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds