Bee In My Bonnet

More
9 years 10 months ago #490636 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bee In My Bonnet

Curious George;495354 wrote: :D :D :D

Naughty You. I don't think they even come from Tasmania..... :D [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490643 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Bee In My Bonnet

max2;495356 wrote: Naughty You. I don't think they even come from Tasmania..... :D [;)]

haha actually he was our farm managers son so we did grow up on the same farm, boy meets girl etc...nah only kidding such a typo!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490666 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Hey max2, one of my ancestors got sent to Tasmania. But seriously, when there are four original settler families in a previously unpopulated remote area and the fastest thing around is a horse it is inevitable that within two generations everyone in the area will be related.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490704 by onceacitygal
Replied by onceacitygal on topic Bee In My Bonnet
So funny!

I hope Kaiapoi Ken's neighbour builds his own golf course....!

KK has 3 acres... he clearly thinks he is king of the growers! His farmer neighbours probably laugh at the hobby framing he does... He thinks she should tell people what to grow (only certain things) or graze (not horses!!!!) Hilarious.

I wrote a much more mature post but it was boring and people have already said it....

Grow up Ken stop being such a NIMBY!

From your name I guess you don't live in the country anyway you live in Kaiapoi which is a suburb of Christchurch!

Happy (fake) productivity!

More
9 years 10 months ago #490707 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Bee In My Bonnet
I was just pondering the comment about the 1000ha farm that was chopped into 25 acre blocks. I don't imagine many of them are fulfilling a 'productive' use as some peopl would like to see...but....

How many of them have families living on them with kids able to enjoy running about outside, climbing trees, playing in ponds. How many of those kids have the chance to learn the responsibility of animal care, the realities of life and death (before they have to face it in loved ones). I wonder if the 'loss' of productive land may be balanced out by the benefits to the next generation. I think it would be a tragedy if we got to a point where our future was being decided only by people who had never expereinced these things. That didn't recognise the real issues involved in productionof food, the reality of where meat comes from etc.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490720 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Excellent points and I heartily agree with the 'non productive' benefits that are had by owning land and raising children on it.
Our youngest son, joined our family through Intercountry Adoption in Jan last year at the age of 7 and it is impossible to put a price on the experiences he has had since coming to NZ - from raising his first ever pet lamb to helping make a live capture trap and plucking possums with his Dad. He has witnessed birth, death and most things in between and having space and animals have certainly helped him adjust to family life in a new country.

Enjoy your space onceacitygal, plant your trees ( good luck here in Canterbury with dry summers, wet winters and howling NWs) and make the most of your country life :D .

More
9 years 10 months ago #490728 by kaiapoi-ken
Replied by kaiapoi-ken on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Onceacitygirl - get your geographic facts right. For a start Kaiapoi is an area as well as a town in its own right NOT a suburb of Chch. It happens to be the nearest TOWN to us.
It is also interesting to note that the most scathing posts have come from relatively new LSBs on this site. The more intelligent and longer standing posters are already using their land in some responsible way, be it growing their own produce, keeping some animals & poultry, establishing orchards, hay or silage making or returning the land to its original state via native planting etc. That is what the land is for. Somebody once said "We don't own the land the land owns us".
It's been an interesting exercise reading this thread and even if only one or two people have paused to think about their land it's been worthwhile.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490729 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bee In My Bonnet

kaiapoi-ken;495454 wrote: Onceacitygirl - get your geographic facts right. For a start Kaiapoi is an area as well as a town in its own right NOT a suburb of Chch. It happens to be the nearest TOWN to us.

if you are going to be pedantic, I think you will find chch has been a CITY for quite a long time

It is also interesting to note that the most scathing posts have come from relatively new LSBs on this site. The more intelligent and longer standing posters are already using their land in some responsible way, be it growing their own produce, keeping some animals & poultry, establishing orchards, hay or silage making or returning the land to its original state via native planting etc. That is what the land is for. Somebody once said "We don't own the land the land owns us".

Nope I have had land for quite a long time and I still think your attitude needs some adjustment.
Who said the only way to use land responsibly is to keep animals of grow veg? We would have no roads or hospitals if that was the case.

It's been an interesting exercise reading this thread and even if only one or two people have paused to think about their land it's been worthwhile.

If you define worthwhile as insulting many good people based of the stereotype of one of your neighbours and, then yes I suppose it is.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490733 by kaiapoi-ken
Replied by kaiapoi-ken on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Who's pedantic????

More
9 years 10 months ago #490734 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Who are we to sit in judgement of other's use of land?

I do not think I am wasting the land we own - but I do see people who get more productivity out of theirs - should I be feeling guilty? Should I be working day and night to improve productivity? What should I do with all the produce my improved productivity generates? There is only so much I can eat and sell at the Market. Shall I give it away? Improve my marketing skills so I can sell more? When?? there's only 24 hours in the day.

I also do see people who do not get much productivity out of their land. Should I be feeling smug and superior? Should I lecture and condemn them? Should I tell the authorities they do not deserve their own piece of land because they do not "contribute"?

Or, perhaps, should I just be grateful I was given the opportunity to follow my dream and be happy with what I have?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 10 months ago #490737 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Bee In My Bonnet

Blueberry;495460 wrote: Who are we to sit in judgement of other's use of land?

I do not think I am wasting the land we own - but I do see people who get more productivity out of theirs - should I be feeling guilty? Should I be working day and night to improve productivity? What should I do with all the produce my improved productivity generates? There is only so much I can eat and sell at the Market. Shall I give it away? Improve my marketing skills so I can sell more? When?? there's only 24 hours in the day.

I also do see people who do not get much productivity out of their land. Should I be feeling smug and superior? Should I lecture and condemn them? Should I tell the authorities they do not deserve their own piece of land because they do not "contribute"?

Or, perhaps, should I just be grateful I was given the opportunity to follow my dream and be happy with what I have?

Well said Blueberry! :)

Lighten up kaiapoi-ken not everyone has the time to make every part of their property "profitable" and really is it any business of anyone else what you do on your own place?

Yes in a perfect world it would be great to see everyone making their properties as productive as possible but lets not forget we are all enjoying living our own dream.

Some of us like to keep stock - shock horror! - I am down to only 6 rare breed horses on my place at the moment - plus I run about 25 rare breed sheep & 40 rare breed goats. Some people like to garden and others just like to listen to the wind in their trees and look at the dew on the bush.

I just think its great that others enjoy living in the countryside as much as I do. :D

Have a nice day kaiapoi-ken and remember to smell the roses - if in fact you like roses that is! :p

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490738 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Bee In My Bonnet
I dont feel the need to judge others and their land use, same way I dont feel the need to be judged by others either.
Live and let live, otherwise we have a dictatorship or a communist state if we want strict controls of land use.
Bad enough the Auckland council is now legislating on how many chooks you can keep in its urban boundaries, as well as other animals
Perhaps they should also be dictating how many children per household as they legitimise their stand based on health issues

More
9 years 10 months ago #490739 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Bee In My Bonnet

Blueberry;495460 wrote: I do not think I am wasting the land we own - but I do see people who get more productivity out of theirs -

REALLY Blueberry????? Having had the unforgettable and wonderful experience of visiting your home and seeing what you do with your land, it would be hard to imagine many people getting more productivity out of their places. And just wait until your new growing house gets into gear!!![:0] :D

Kaiapoi-Ken has sure raised a few hackles with his post (mine included, in part) but in the spirit of respecting others views, perhaps we could look past his choice of words and appreciate that, as with most of us, Ken values his land and tries to do the best by it. And in the end, I think that's all we can/should take responsibility for - how we each live. As long as we don't negatively impact others, who cares at what point we are on our journey. I know I have a very long way to go before our place matches the dream I have in my head for productivity and peaceful beauty, but the important thing is that I treasure what we have and never stop thinking how fortunate I am to live as I do. And in these often challenging times, that's worth a lot.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490740 by Blueberry

Mich;495465 wrote:
REALLY Blueberry????? Having had the unforgettable and wonderful experience of visiting your home and seeing what you do with your land, it would be hard to imagine many people getting more productivity out of their places. And just wait until your new growing house gets into gear!!![:0] :D

yes, honestly [:I] - I am full aware that, even though we own 50 acres - well, actually, only 47 now (don't tell Ken, but we subdivided and sold 3 acres!! so naughty of us [B)]) - we only intensely make use of the 10 acres closest to the house. the rest is 1/3 native bush regeneration and 2/3 grazing for our Highlanders, and some of that is quiet steep. We could plant it all out in fruit trees - but that would generate more work than we could handle. it's just hubby and me, after all.

We could of course take that giant step and employ people - but that can of worms best remains unopened.

Or - we could subdivide and sell to other people..... and on it goes... :D :D

[;)] Blueberry

More
9 years 10 months ago #490741 by Blueberry
Oh, and the new plastic house will, obviously, also be situated within the most productive zone.

IT"S AT THE FREIGHT DEPOT NOW!! I'm so excited!!!!

apparently, the longest part is 6 m long - hubby is currently puzzling out how we bring it onto the property - our track is not suited for larger trucks....[8D][8D] - that little details somehow was not considered when I placed the order.... :D :p :o

[;)] Blueberry

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds