Bee In My Bonnet

More
9 years 10 months ago #37957 by kaiapoi-ken
Bee In My Bonnet was created by kaiapoi-ken
I've been having thoughts lately about what a Lifestyle Blocker is. Our area is becoming inundated with people from urban areas buying land in the country and building flash houses and telling everybody that they "live in the country". I bought a small block (3 acres - 1.1 hectares) about 40 years ago. I bought it because I had a good friend who was a farmer in the same area and he told my wife and I about the advantages and the pitfalls of living in the country. With his guidance we've had a absolute glorious lifestyle. We have had house cows, pigs, ducks, fowls and sheep all on our 3 acres, because we listened to what he said and ensured our stock was happy and well fed. Sure, we had some problems but the knowledge we gained from the locals we were able to overcome them. Today I had a yarn with a new blockholder who tells me he is going to use his block for storage of vehicles and other things. He has 10acres. What a waste!. When I asked why he bothered buying out here his reason was that none of his friends owned as much lands as him and he certainly wasn't going to have any stock or anything like that.

OK, this is a rant, but it really annoys me that people treat good productive land as a status symbol. I don't give a damn whether the land is light or heavy it can be used for growing or maintaining something (grazing a couple of horses doesn't qualify to my mind). Ours has kept stock, and grown produce for the market.

Go for it Kate, shoot me down for being a stirrer, but I am P....d off with some of the contributors on this site that obviously have as much idea about living in the country as flying to the moon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490420 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Bee In My Bonnet
[}:)][}:)]Lol no doubt the "real farmers" thought the same about you when you moved out to the country, and good productive land was split up into small hobby farms for people to play with........it's a bit of a first world problem worrying about what your neighbour is driving and doing with their land, personally life is way to short to get wound up about what other people do

Personally anything less than 10 acres isn't really a lifestyle block .....just a big residential section and if you haven't got a 4x4 UAV...that you can't take into a muddy paddock well your just not keeping up with the Jones......[}:)][xx(][}:)]:o:p

Lol

More
9 years 10 months ago #490422 by kaiapoi-ken
Replied by kaiapoi-ken on topic Bee In My Bonnet
I bought a homestead which was already split off and was surrounded by large properties. Not surprised you feel threatened by having to justify how you use your land kindajojo you obviously belong to the group I'm referring to, the ones that wouldn't know s..t from clay.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490423 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Haha are you for real?!? How dare those urban folk venture outside of their apartments to buy some country land!

More
9 years 10 months ago #490425 by kaiapoi-ken
Yes Buttons, you're the sort of person the rural area does'nt need Go buy another Latte.

kindajojo, you are exhibiting the sort of mentality of a typical Queen Street farmer (Palmerston North qualifies) You said it, "well you are not keeping up with the Jones" Yeah, life is too short, that's why I worry about the use of good land to satisfy the use of it for the boosting of the egos of people like you.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490427 by Buttons
You better let the rural area know as it's clearly missed the memo, having been born and raised on a large farm and never lived in suburbia...[}:)]

More
9 years 10 months ago #490428 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bee In My Bonnet
Yikes someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
There is no right or wrong use of land based on a persons previous lifestyle. Sounds like a bit of jealousy going on here.
A person cannot change the fact they were brought up in an urban society, they should be commended for following their dream and changing their life.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490431 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Bee In My Bonnet
As someone who lives in a rural village (there are pigs , sheep, horses grazing in the paddocks nearby). I joined this forum for information on things like chickens (which I have) lambs - had one - but not really suitable if you want a garden as well.
Ideally I would love a lifestyle block - but I am not in the position to purchase or run one at this time. That doesn't stop wishful thinking tho.
Having said that, by the time I am finished with it - my little back yard will be far more productive than many 2-3 acre sections.

While there are topics on this forum that do deal mainly with farming/lifestyle (cattle etc) as opposed to smaller sections (poultry), that doesn't mean that the rest of us shouldn't be here or that our comments and views aren't valid.

I think lifestyle also refers to a way of thinking. There are always going to be jerks who buy items to keep up with the jones, or as a status symbol. It is a shame to see land like that being wasted - but I know people who have a couple of acres so their kids can run around in the back yard and live as most of the sections in town have been cut into small pieces and had huge houses plonked on - no room.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490433 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Bee In My Bonnet
It's ok KK, I know what your saying and have similar sentiments myself. I just tend to take a deep breath and keep my mouth shut.

The saving factor for the people who do happen on to this site, is that they do ask which is better than thinking they are a farmer born and bred.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
9 years 10 months ago #490434 by kaiapoi-ken
Buttons, I have no problem with people using their blocks for USEFUL purposes. What is your land producing at the moment that is useful to you or your family or do you see it as a great way to subdivide rural and make megabucks?

Kai, no jealousy, too old for that. Main concern is that people complain about their lives but will not get off their butts and do something constructive. Dreams are free, life is expensive.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490438 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Bee In My Bonnet
:D :D :D This is fantastic, classic grumpy old man.

You kids get off my laawwwnnnn !!

On a more serious note, I hope the guy storing the cars on HIS productive land grows some high quality Gorse between the wrecks, then we'll really be in for a show!

More
9 years 10 months ago #490439 by Buttons
I don't believe in subdividing myself because I'm rather sentimental about things and I also believe in a farm to plate way of life for myself.

The family farm runs beef cattle and has a large vege garden and orchard. I can sort of understand where you're coming from having seen the development and amount of subdividing that's occurred by my parents, including the farms on either side where everyone has felt the need to build as close to the boundary as possible. It's strange to go up the back which use to be so isolated, quiet and tranquil only to see houses. In saying that though it's never concerned myself or my parents what any of them decide to do with their land as there are people who do far worse things in this world.

My current situation is that I rent rurally and just have a large vege garden. We've had to financially support due to a terminal illness diagnosis but family is family and nothing is more important. Next year we'll be buying our first home (approx 20 acres) and I've joined the forum because while I'm down with the beef farming I've no experience with pigs and goats.

And while I may enjoy the odd latte I'd never leave the country for it :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #490440 by kaiapoi-ken
Hey kernels, stop picking on us oldies, my kids live on the same property and I love them all. Your comment, however, about gorse shows the extent of your mentality.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490442 by kaiapoi-ken
Buttons, that's great, I hope you realise your dream, but the big thing to remember is that land is a none-increasing asset. What you have is what you'll finish with. It's got to be used wisely. Secretly, I'm partial to the odd long black myself. Good luck.

More
9 years 10 months ago #490443 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Bee In My Bonnet

kaiapoi-ken;495144 wrote: Hey kernels, stop picking on us oldies, my kids live on the same property and I love them all. Your comment, however, about gorse shows the extent of your mentality.

Ken, don't worry about my mentality, I'm just poking the bear a bit. Chill out man, breathe in that fantastic crisp winter air and don't worry so much about something you have no control over.

There are many reasons people buy lifestyle blocks that have nothing to do with keeping animals / planting orchards.

Personally, my top reasons are:

1. I like having the option to be 100% self sufficient, even if I'm not actively pursuing it right now, maybe one day.
2. I like having a archery and rifle range !!.
3. I like not having to listen to a neighbor's music in the middle of the night.
4. I like looking up at night and seeing stars.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds