So you think it is time for a dog? warning graphic content.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490437 by FarmerEms
Oh gosh. So sorry to hear this Spoook. As you know we have also had dog problems, one a few years ago who came through and mauled around 8 of our Barred Rocks, and now recently we have had a dog attack a 6 month old piglet, who obviously put up a good fight, as when we found him the next day, he had no throat left, and was just skin and bones..

It is always extremely devastating, and a horrible thing to imagine what they went through. And the problem is the owners just don't care.

If a dog I owned did something like that to someones animal, ESPECIALLY after being warned, I would expect it to be PTS.

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490475 by Olivia
FarmerEms, that's just horrible! Am so sorry to hear of it. I think that is the most angering thing of all when a dog attacks stock - owners who don't care/accept what a devastating loss their dog caused.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490476 by Iniuk

owners who don't care/accept what a devastating loss their dog caused.

So true. Local case- Two dogs got out and cornered and killed a neighbouring cat. then another. Owner vowed it could never happen again. I heard of cats disappearing further down our road but didn't put it together, Then neighbour found two dogs in with her sheep, chasing and mauling them. She would have been within her rights to shoot them (she holds a gun license) but shut them up and called dog control. The owner refused to let them be put down, they were eventually. He has a good bit of support from his friends who couldn't believe that such nice dogs could be responsible.
Sadly we have to realise that ALL our dogs could be responsible for these attacks under the right circumstances. Even my dog.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490478 by FarmerEms
The problem is dog control can't really do much about it. Sure you call them, they get taken away, but end of the day unless the owner really admits fault, or you have proof, they will just take them back home. Around here we have a lot of roaming dogs, and their owners don't care. See dog control pick them up, then the next day they're back home and roaming.. Grr.

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
9 years 8 months ago #491016 by bev
spoook, get hold of your local CEO and make sure he/she keeps you informed of any 'action taken' im very surprised that its not in the pound, especially in a case like this, because this sort of 'owner' when it comes to court or destruction, the dogs generally all of a sudden 'died or re-homed'
After reading some of the threads on here lately, there must be some slack ACOs in councils, however some people think ACOs and councils have magic wands too

More
9 years 8 months ago #491034 by Maungamutu

cowvet;494902 wrote: There is a bit of wolf in EVERY dog. To think that something like a golden retriever would not attack livestock is naive...

I am a strong believe that any dog living in a rural environment needs to be under control at all times regardless of breed. To single out particular breeds or types of dogs is not going to educate owners or solve the problem.

Agree. These or any dog that has worried sheep even once WILL at any future opportunity seek out more sheep to chew up (doesn't take a brain surgeon to work that out).

I remember when I was still at school and staying at a friends large sheep farm and they had heaps of working dogs of course. They also had a nice golden lab as semi pet but mainly gun dog for duck shooting duties. Never a problem with it normally but then one lambing season it decided to go up the hill and go after lambs for a chew up! My friends Father said "aw bugger" when he saw what was happening, calmly got his rifle walked to the bottom of the hill and shot the lab (had to be done). That was my lesson for life on how to be a responsible dog owner

More
9 years 8 months ago #491093 by Inger
Yep, once they've had a taste of blood after the thrill of the chase, it can't be trained back out of them. The only way to ensure a dog is safe around animals is to always have them supervised while being walked - on a lead if necessary, or have them chained up when not in the company of their owner. Killing is genetic for a dog and reinforced by opportunity if given the chance. Multiplied by the number of dogs in the group, if dogs are allowed to roam together. Once they form a gang, only a gun can stop them.

Even our trained sheep dog is tied up when not working and when he's working, he gets enough exercise to wear him out and make him feel fulfilled. That's how to make sure he doesn't ever get the urge to kill.

I'd like to put the dog that killed Spook's pet, in with two of our rams. Then it would find out that not all sheep are quiet and harmless. These two rams wouldn't do anything our dog asked them to do, they just kept attacking him, especially the Gotland ram. In the end, the only way I could make them move, was to call them to me. (I was on the other side of the fence. I don't trust rams).

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491106 by Deanna
Just so not fair! I can't bear to imagine that kind of lose. Let alone to a pet. I'm really really sorry you had to experience this awful lose.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491113 by LongRidge
When Spot The Wonder Dog was young he used to get a bit too enthusiastic. We cured that to some extent by getting a wire greyhound muzzle, which was put on after he had been run for about 4 km, which would have been behind the horse in the good-ol-days but had to be in front of the ATV these days.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds