So you think it is time for a dog? warning graphic content.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490210 by jsmum
Back to Kate's intro, why would you choose a dog breed with a predatory nature to live in this environment? And if you did, surely it would be in an escape proof compound.
We often laugh about our border collie who is terrified of sheep but now I am oh so grateful.
That is a terrible loss and so easily avoidable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490217 by cowvet

jsmum;494895 wrote: Back to Kate's intro, why would you choose a dog breed with a predatory nature to live in this environment? And if you did, surely it would be in an escape proof compound.
We often laugh about our border collie who is terrified of sheep but now I am oh so grateful.
That is a terrible loss and so easily avoidable.

There is a bit of wolf in EVERY dog. To think that something like a golden retriever would not attack livestock is naive...

I am a strong believe that any dog living in a rural environment needs to be under control at all times regardless of breed. To single out particular breeds or types of dogs is not going to educate owners or solve the problem.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 9 months ago #490225 by viki
So sorry for your loss that must have been awful. I hope the dog is dealt with and is never given the chance to reoffend.
As cowvet says any dog is capable even a breed like my own which is bred to guard livestock. Why do people not fence their dogs in aggrh

More
9 years 9 months ago #490226 by spoook
The dog is a husky and was released to the woman on the end of the arm in the photo of the dog covered on blood. I have to admit, it is better for the dog than being in a pound BUT..... she was a real biatch and I got the feeling that she would have taken the dog away before animal control got here. We could never have proved it was that particular dog. For heavens sake, by the time we got to the owners property she has washed ALL the blood off the dog. [:(!]

She was who the owner called when the dog got out. Not me, the property that the dog always seem to come to when it gets out, NOT eff'n ME. [V]

Baby would still be alive if he had had the decency to let me know. I know he was scared that I would have shot on sight but, he risked my livestock, some of them rare Waipu goats. For that, sadly I will never forgive him.

Now I have to live with an area by a gate where she was cornered and attacked and a clump of reeds she managed to drag herself to to try to hide. The pictures in my mind will always haunt me. :( Why Baby, of all our charges, why Baby. [xx(]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
9 years 9 months ago #490231 by kaumea
that's really, really sad...i'm so sorry for your loss...and again it will be the dog who has to pay for it because the owners didn't care...so sad...

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
9 years 9 months ago #490252 by Jo-Otago
Oh spoook that's devastating and utterly appalling on so many levels. I am so sorry for you and Baby :( :( :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 9 months ago #490276 by tonic
My hugs to you, such a terrible trauma for you.

I would agree that any dog can be predaroty - they are all predators, every one. We have two tiny Chihuahuas, approx 1.5kgs weight. The chickens can knock them down if they get annoyed and there is no chance they could ever even scratch a sheep. However, they could run at a flock and spook it into water - size or breed is no guarantee that a dog won't behave like a wolf.

• Cherry
9 years 9 months ago #490280 by Cherry
The poor wee sweetheart. That is so utterly sad it made me cry. Sorry for what you are going through x

More
9 years 9 months ago #490283 by LongRidge
My deepest sympathies, and thanks for the post.
Ensure that the owners, copy Animal Control, get a bill for your loss. Tell the neighbours, and Animal Control, that you are setting cyanide-laced meat as bait along the boundary, so keep their dogs and cats under control. That will tell you which of your neighbours think they have good control of their dogs, because the others will complain.
Because we have 3 1/2 dogs too many, 3 of which howl and 2 that bite humans, I really dislike people that won't learn to control their dogs. I'm going to find it very difficult to support the owner when she gets more complaints :-((

More
9 years 9 months ago #490303 by Olivia
Oh Spoook, I am so sorry. The "What ifs..." & "If only's" take a long time to settle down in your mind after something so shocking & avoidable (on the part of the dog's owner!) happens on what is supposed to be your place of safety.

Years ago when my brother was a young teen, he had an adolescent farm dog who was his prized companion. They lived in a very rural setting & the dogs weren't chained when not working, they faithfully stayed by the house & didn't stray. One day my brother's young bitch turned up with blood over her face. They didn't find whose stock she had attacked but the risk of an untrustworthy dog was too great so they immediately had her put down. If only everyone was willing to accept the responsibility of owning a dangerous dog, no matter how much they love them.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490350 by rider1803
urgh that is totally dispicable from the owner of the dog. So sorry for your loss.
I cannot stand people with the attitude "but they would never leave the house", of course the dog will trot of somewhere if the inclination takes them. I choose to keep mine in kennels when I am not able to directly supervise them for my dogs safety - that way they can't commit a crime or be blamed for one they didn't do.

Confirmed horse addict.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490357 by Ruth

LongRidge;494974 wrote: ...Tell the neighbours, and Animal Control, that you are setting cyanide-laced meat as bait along the boundary,...

LR, you never fail to continually surprise me. Why don't you just advise Spoook to go out and kill some people as well? It would be no less illegal. You can shoot dogs which are worrying stock; you can't go round indiscriminately laying toxins to kill them!

More
9 years 9 months ago #490364 by funnyfarm331
LR, in light ofyour confession as to how long it is since you had a holiday together I'm starting to think you are in need of a long break after making this suggestion. You simply cannot be serious[:0].

Book a break and get pest control in.[;)]

More
9 years 9 months ago #490365 by LongRidge
Did I anywhere say ".... and then lay cyanide-laced bait"?. If you look a bit more carefully I think that you will find that I said "Tell the neighbours that you have ....". Just by setting the rumour you might get the effect that you want. If you don't get the required effect then tempt wandering dogs.
Besides which, I would think that stationary cyanide bait at dog level would be hugely safer than high-speed projectiles, especially if you don't have the time to check the buildings in the background.
So, I think that your reaction to my post is ridiculous, and not helpful.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490380 by Olivia

rider1803;495044 wrote: urgh that is totally dispicable from the owner of the dog. So sorry for your loss.
I cannot stand people with the attitude "but they would never leave the house", of course the dog will trot of somewhere if the inclination takes them. I choose to keep mine in kennels when I am not able to directly supervise them for my dogs safety - that way they can't commit a crime or be blamed for one they didn't do.

Agreed. Everyone wants to believe their dogs are bomb proof & totally loyal to the spot they are left in but it simply isn't true or realistic. People don't seem willing to accept that their "domestic" dogs have "wild" instincts & naturally have wide ranging territories. If I'm not outside with our dogs on the farm, they are either fully fenced or chained. As you say, Rider, it is for the dog's own safety. Before we were married, my husband always had a "she'll be right" attitude about his dog & didn't chain or fence her - I soon fixed that with an ultimatum after marriage, either control his dog or I would give her away to someone who would - it worked [;)]

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds