A new lifestyle block

More
9 years 9 months ago #37933 by rotors
A new lifestyle block was created by rotors
Have lived in Auckland most of my life, but since owning my own home I have enjoyed setting up a vege patch and kept several hens in our urban/rural-ish area we live. Husband grew up rural on a small plot with organic gardeners who sold at market.
We have finally had a positive turn in our life, and things have started to get better in so many ways. Primarily a large financial boost has meant we can start to think about long term dream of living further out of the city boundary. So you ask, what is the problem?
We think we have found the best property for us, apart from being a bit further from work than i would have liked (we will continue to work part time to cover living expenses). I was happy to travel 30-40 mins but this property is 1.1hrs away. Apart from that everything is wonderful. Place has water, rolling to flat. Plenty of growth potential. Within our price range.
Yet i hesitate - but i can't figure out why.

MM and myself on 4.2 acre orchard: Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach, Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Fig, Apricot and Feijoa.
Plus 1 Dog (Whippet Kelpie cross), 2 Cat, 5 Sheep, Lots of hens and ducks - they keep moving so makes counting hard!! LOL And just recently 3 canadian geese

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490163 by muri
Replied by muri on topic A new lifestyle block
Welcome Rotors.
Its a big step, everyone has doubts about a big change of life style.
Its not a one way, black and white track.
You can try it, if it doesnt work, you can move back.
Give yourself a trial period there and see how it works for you

More
9 years 9 months ago #490198 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic A new lifestyle block
You'll quickly get use to the travel time and before you know it won't even notice it :)

And if you don't you can always find somewhere else :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #490241 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic A new lifestyle block
Hesitating is sensible. You do need to be fairly sure before you take that big step.

Personally, that much of a commute is more than I'd consider reasonable, others will disagree, but what matters is what you think.

You will be working part-time, but what sort of hours? Can you fit the hours in a few days, or will you need to travel most days? Will you have daylight hours on the land in winter, or will you be limited to weekend daylight only? Do you hate driving or love hearing the radio news, or listening to books on your commute?
Is it going to mean you'll miss your current social life?

More
9 years 9 months ago #490269 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic A new lifestyle block
Can you work from home? Any similar jobs closer? Extra travel will not only mean longer time spent away, but will be more expensive for petrol. Any chance of car pooling so you don't alwasy have to drive?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 9 months ago #490275 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic A new lifestyle block
I would be questioning the job commitment too. Why worry? Is it your own business?

Plenty of people have moved out of the circle and gone for jobs with less salary, but they are saving on travelling costs to start with.

As long as you have the basics covered such as mortgage etc,what do you need?

I know LSB's suck up a huge amount of $$, but if it gives you more space and time to grow the things you want, and you are covering your costs, does it really matter?

(said by someone whose mother is in early stages of dementia and whose best memories are of her working life. Does it really matter, is that as good as life got for her me thinks?)

there is a bigger picture and world out there than your job. :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #490286 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic A new lifestyle block
If you are doing it for him, or vice versa, then it very probably won't work. Many marriages break up because of the time, money and commitment that an LSB takes. We have not had a holiday together for 20 years because she doesn't trust anyone with her pets .... especially the biting ones now. But she doesn't travel well anyway .....

More
9 years 9 months ago #490307 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic A new lifestyle block
Male LR, you're a misogynist old pratt.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490310 by Del
Replied by Del on topic A new lifestyle block
Firstly, congratulations on being in the situation of making the dream a reality! Personally, an hour commute is too much. But some people love spending time in the car just chilling out.
I'd take stock of the situation again. It sounds like you have the option of totally reconsidering your lifestyle. So, firstly, does it need to be Auckland? You may be able to find comparable, cheaper properties in other regions. This would allow you to find part time work with a lower salary than you are currently getting.

Say you found something 10-15 minutes from a work place. That saves each of you 2 hours a day on what you're proposing. Over a 5 day work week that's 20 hours between you. TWENTY HOURS! I think you should ask yourselves the tough questions on that one. In your situation we'd stay put because we've invested years in the property and love it to bits; but you could go anywhere :). What an exciting dilemma to have, I wish you all the best!

More
9 years 9 months ago #490326 by igor
Replied by igor on topic A new lifestyle block
Our block is about ten miles from my office. It is mostly open road and takes ten to twelve minutes on a good day. That is close to the economic limit for me. The price of petrol is the limiting factor here. If I had a company vehicle I'd consider up to forty minutes travelling but no more as it would cut into my own time too much.
Have you considered getting away from Auckland and moving to somewhere cheaper? Depending upon what job skills you both have you may find this to be a viable option.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490349 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic A new lifestyle block
I can understand why you hesitate. I took on a new role last year that took my communte from 20mins each way to 40mins each way and it has had a huge impact on me, I work full time so not so comparable, lucky I love my job. I have had to make many adjustments and you need to way up if you are going to be ok making those, for me it means I cannot ride my horses during winter except on the weekends :(
As said before it will really make a difference if your part-time work is spread over many days or just 1 or 2 a week. If you are finding a whole new position rather than reducing your current roles hours then why not consider moving somewhere cheaper (you wont have to work so much to cover costs because the property will be less) that has less travel?
On the other side have you checked out new roading developments that are in the future plans of the council that could a. make your commute quicker or b. add more traffic to your commute?
Massively exciting and scarey time for you!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490471 by Leonie
Replied by Leonie on topic A new lifestyle block
We live up past KeriKeri in the far north. We were sick of living in town. We took the risk and sold the house down in the Waipa area and got a property in the bush way up here.
Hubby quit his job a few months after we moved and got paid out. He then applied for a job with the same company up this way after a couple months rest.
He now commutes from here to Kauri for work. An hour and a half there and an hour and a half back. Hard yacka yes but he works 4 days on and 4 off and gets a good wage.
He car pools with 2 other guys he works with from half way so it helps.
It all depends on your situation. What is comfortable for you. Everyone's situation is different so it comes down to what you want, and what your willing to sacrifice.
As a couple it always takes team work, that goes for everything.
We are glad we took the risk. Life is more active and busy now.

(Build your base strong and it will support you)

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
9 years 9 months ago #490488 by rotors
Replied by rotors on topic A new lifestyle block
Just wanted to say thank you all for your positive feedback, advice and interesting things to consider. Just to clear up a few points, we currently live/work in Sth Auckland but we were looking at a property south of the bombay hills and it would take us 1hr to drive to work. The idea was to reduce our work days from 5 per week to 3, and by Xmas for me (wife) to stop work, and hopefully in the New Year hubby does too. BUT we would still be looking for casual/part time work in the new area to sibsidise the earnings from the property.

Well, i now have news :) We put in an offer on said property and I am happy to report that it was accepted. Though the drive to work is initially daunting, the fact that it is just for a 'short' time i have decided makes it palatable. Hubby looked at a Prius this week to cut fuel costs in half. (yes it has a new battery bank)
Now to get excited about the move - got 2 months to pack - we're off to the Thames-Coromandel region :) I am so looking forward to having a large flock of my beloved chickens, plus the property comes with ducks - i dont know anything about ducks!
:D

MM and myself on 4.2 acre orchard: Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach, Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Fig, Apricot and Feijoa.
Plus 1 Dog (Whippet Kelpie cross), 2 Cat, 5 Sheep, Lots of hens and ducks - they keep moving so makes counting hard!! LOL And just recently 3 canadian geese

More
9 years 9 months ago #490489 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic A new lifestyle block
YAY, congratulations!!!! :) :) :)

How very exciting for you, you best crack open the bubbles and start celebrating :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #490491 by Go Kaz
Replied by Go Kaz on topic A new lifestyle block
Hi Rotors.

We shifted in the summer from Wattle Downs which is near where you are now to Ngatea (so about 80km away) A great run to Manukau to work is about 55 mins but normally a bit over an hour in the morning.

We benefited financially from shifting and we are now on 5 acres with the compulsory collecting of animals well under way.

People think I am nuts travelling that far but to be honest it doesn't bother me at all and am happy to do it.

Not sure where you are looking at shifting too but its totally doable!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds