Foundation for a shipping container?

More
9 years 9 months ago #489853 by Kiwi303
A simple 100mm think reinforced slab with 200mm deep edging 200mm wide and 350mm deep by 300mmx300mm corners and a 300x300x350mm in the middle of each long side should more than qualify, and could post-container be used as the base of a shed...

It might be overkill, but any inspector who turns that down needs his head examined :)

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #489949 by X-Toma
I'm also in the Waimak District, not too far away from you I think Andrea. I have a container on site that I'm planning to move eventually. I will be getting Dave around (LittleRedDigger) to dig me a foundation 400x300 ish. Will tie some steel up with some vertical bars and lay a single course of blocks on the foundation , fill them with concrete and have the container lifted on top of the blocks. A lot less steel and concrete than Kiwi's suggestion if you plan on keeping it there for good.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491028 by Dennis Stainless
Hi : A friend put me on to using 4 used tires, backfilled with metal chip. works well, low cost / effort. Use different sizes of tires, near corners, to get unit level.
Cheers,
Dennis Stainless.

More
8 years 4 days ago #520972 by PaulusNZ
Interesting subject. My son is thinking of using a reefer container for a particular business project. Council building dept here in Gisborne informs that the container must be mounted on appropriate foundations, engineer designed, in case in blows over in a storm. It also needs a fire plan although nothing flammable will be inside the container. To me, both requirements nonsensical, and they appear not to notice dozens of containers plonked on soil around the area with no foundations.

More
8 years 4 days ago #520973 by tonybaker
mine is just plonked on the ground and has been ok for last 7 years! Didn't think about permit as it is removable? Only thing is just about every wild animal wants to make a home under it....

Containers are a godsend for all that stuff that you are to scared to throw away!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 4 days ago #520974 by Rokker
Ours is just plonked on the ground also, with concrete blocks in each corner for correct levelling. It's just for storage - no permits required. Probably a different story if you plan to live in it though! In that case I'd buy an old container trailer, mount it on that, and call it a caravan! :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
8 years 3 days ago #520982 by muri
We just placed a container on 6x railway sleepers, one on each corner and one on either side in the middle. The latter probably not so important as these things dont really bend,
The reason that these are deemed as transportable is that they can be moved and I think most councils have a regulation that a transportable building can be on a site for 6 months and then needs to be moved.
So council can ask you to move it - if they know about it

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds