Kid with scours

More
9 years 11 months ago #489271 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Kid with scours
not grazing a huge amount & eating mainly milk will reduce the liklyhood of a worm burdon

the phrase drenching often refers to deworming

If the kids have a little house they can live outside all the time...mine do...ive raised a lot & they have a little paddock with a house

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489272 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Kid with scours
If you want to use homeopathics, just three or four drops in his mouth, squirt it in.
I buy mine at the local chemist, not sure where you buy your homeopathics, but it needs to be someone who sells weleda

More
9 years 11 months ago #489281 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Kid with scours
Why only weleda, muri? We usually buy Naturo Pharm brand - it seems to be easier to find than Weleda. You can also get them through healthpost.co.nz

5 in 1 is a vax, isn't it? Drenching is kind of a generic term for anything that can go by mouth or on the skin. We 'drench' here sometimes every day, depending on who's getting what, but it's usually just a mineral drench, by mouth.

Haemonchus contortus is also known as barber's pole worms, because then they move they look like a little corkscrew, moving the way a barber's pole does. They are a very nasty internal parasite which can cause deadly anemia in goats (and sheep). Very good info on it here: www.goatbiology.com/animations/haem.html I'm rather worried that with this very mild winter we may be having to deal with it down here again. Last time we had it on farm here, we lost 9 goats in a week before we even knew what we were dealing with, and a total of 13 in all before we got on top of it with the locum vet's help. That was about 8 year ago, I think, when we had a very warm and damp summer.

Good that he's eating hay. Given his small size compared with his large horns, he is definitely older than 9 weeks. Thanks for posting the photos.

As long as he isn't lethargic and he's eating well, try not to worry too much. I don't know what diarrest is, we use Scourban when we can't control/stop scours with plants/herbs or rennet. A good thing to help him restore his gut flora is yakult or natural yoghurt with plenty of cultures. I haven't found a goat yet who doesn't like yoghurt or yakult, and if you get drinking yoghurt, you can thin it with a feed and give it to him in a bottle. Same with the yakult, it's liquid enough to put in a bottle.

I would do a FEC to see just what worms you're dealing with, so you don't end up with drench-resistant worms. And only drench as necessary, not on a regular schedule. Learn to identify the body-language of a wormy goat, as even a FEC isn't 100% reliable; egg counts can change from one day to the next, and even over the course of the same day.

Bubble-gum pink inner eyelids (google FAMACHA for a good chart on what the inner eyelid colours are telling you); tail up, body not hunched, not walking around like they're feet hurt.

And make sure they have proper minerals FOR GOATS. A paddock salt lick isn't enough.

OK, done rambling, off to bed... I've got flu, and I am tired....[xx(]

More
9 years 11 months ago #489352 by Animal Crazy
Replied by Animal Crazy on topic Kid with scours
Hope you are feeling better. What sort of minerals do you give your goats?
I could not find rennet, where do you buy it?

He is doing much better, he no longer has scours its not quite what it needs to be but is firming up.

Thank you so much for everyone's advice.

When do we go from 3 to 2 bottles and then from 2 to 1 and then finally none at all?
When cutting out a bottle do I increase the volume of the remaining ones or keep them the same. I am doing 250ml x 3 at the moment.

You say by looking at his horns he is older than 9 weeks, how much older do you think he is?

More
9 years 11 months ago #489353 by Andrea1
I give them Delaval water soluble goat minerals. I've only recently gone to that, since April, quite happy with the improvement to my goats. For the 8 years previous, I used Aakland Wonderlick for Goats, which is a loose lick.

I get rennet, Renco junket rennet , from the supermarket. It's often on the baking aisle, but if the shop knows better, it's refrigerated.

When do we go from 3 to 2 bottles and then from 2 to 1 and then finally none at all?

Depends on age. Judging by your boy's horns, he's around 4-5 months already. How old do your reckon the doe kid is? And is the boy castrated already? By 4 months, I have kids on 2x feeds/day. Since he's having trouble with the milk replacer, I would continue with the 3 smaller feeds a day for a while long. When you do cut the one feed, up the amount of the 2 feeds. Ideally, you want them to be getting 750-1000mm/day. By 4.5 - 5 months, you can reduce to one larger feed a day, then the last month, reduce feed volume gradually, so that by the 6th month, they are weaned. And yes, we bottle feed for 6 months. Makes for a hardier animal, especially if a dairy goat. When you go from 2 to 1 feed, you can offer a small amount of hard feed to replace that bottle feed. We give boiled barley and bran in equal amounts sprinkled with a little bit of seaweed meal (about 1/4 tsp for kids).

More
9 years 11 months ago #489396 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Kid with scours
The only reason to wean is to save time and money, so when you wean them depends on how much of each you have spare. In nature the doe weans the kids at 6 to 8 months. We wean at 12 weeks or 15 kg for Boer goat kids (20kg for lambs), but because ferals are usually smaller than Boers, we would probably go for 12 weeks or 12 kg, whichever comes second.
Silly questions are only silly if you have not learnt from the first experience. So with no experience, your questions are not silly at all :-)
My definition of vaccination is that it is an injection or scratch against a bacteria. So 5-in-1 is a vax. A drench is against "worms", and is best if given orally but can also be given by injection or pour-on. But there are also pour-ons that kill insects like lice.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489401 by Andrea1
A drench is not only against worms. There are all kinds of things with which you can 'drench'. Mineral drenches, for example.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489406 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Kid with scours

Andrea;493873 wrote: Why only weleda, muri? We usually buy Naturo Pharm brand - it seems to be easier to find than Weleda. You can also get them through healthpost.co.nz

I thought only weleda made it, any brand should do, it will all be the same

More
9 years 11 months ago #489413 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Kid with scours
Exactly Andrea. That is why I tried to qualify the statement with "My definition" .....:-).
I hope that if I ever say that "I've drenched the what-evers" I also say with what to reduce the possible confusion.
Note to self - the pregnant sheep need drenching with potassium iodide very soon, but don't bother doing the non-pregnant ones.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds