Kid with scours

More
9 years 11 months ago #37843 by Animal Crazy
Kid with scours was created by Animal Crazy
Hi All, I wonder if someone else has some other ideas I could try. I have a 9 week old boy that has been scouring on off for for 2 weeks but the last 5 days it has been constant. I have just taken him to the vet and she has given him an AB injection & we are continuing on Dirrest & Scourban with a higher dose. He does not have a temp and is a bit uncomfortable but fine otherwise.

Vet seems to think he could not be agreeing with Anlamb & we need to try get him onto solids. He is slowly picking at hay but not interested in anything else I try offer him.

I did read on some very old post about homeopathic treatment, do I try that as well as everything else above or any other ideas from all those experienced people.

I am also thinking he is older than what I was told as his horns are allot larger than the girl we got who they said is 7 weeks & vet said his teeth could indicate that he is older than 9 weeks. Can you tell from the horns how old he is? He is a feral goat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489209 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Kid with scours
You are not putting sugar in his milk by any chance are you?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 11 months ago #489217 by Animal Crazy
Replied by Animal Crazy on topic Kid with scours
No. Being very strict to do everything people have suggested by using the same scales for water/powder & cleaning bottles thoroughly. So not sure what I am doing wrong. I also reduced the amount of feed incase it was overfeeding causing it.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489221 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Kid with scours
does he have grass & hay available 24/7?

How much is he getting & how often?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 11 months ago #489229 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Kid with scours
You can use homeopathics in conjunction with other medications, i just try and give them separate from other things, say half an hour in between. Koromiko, i think usually at 3x. If i prescribe it for people i say every 10 - 20 minutes if they are scouring badly so that try that with the kid for a few hours then drop down to 1-2 hourly.
You should see a change within half a day or so

More
9 years 11 months ago #489238 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Kid with scours
YOu can add a few drops of junket rennet to his bottle to help clear up scours.

You can't really tell age by horn size. That said, the feral types' horns grow much slower than the dairy breeds (can't comment about the other breed type). What size are his horns? Are you sure he's not eating solids? By a few days, kids are nibbling at lots of things, finding some of them nice to eat and others not.

How much is he having at each feed? It could very well be the Anlamb; I had a number of people coming to me for milk for their bottle-fed kids because the Anlamb was making them sick. This would have been a couple of years ago.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489239 by Andrea1
Has he got a good appetite for his bottle? If it's lagging, and he's scouring, it's possible he's got coccidiosis. He's the right age, as they tend to become susceptible around 6-12 weeks. They almost always lose their appetite with it. Easy fecal exam to check.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489247 by Animal Crazy
Katieb: Yes has hay available 24/7 but does not really eat it. When he is outside he is more keen on the pine trees that the grass/weeds but seems to eat more being outside.

I was feeding 300-400ml 4 x day but just dropped to 3 x day (250ml x 2 day and last feed 300ml). I completely cut back as the vet said I was feeding too much.

Muri: Can I get Koromiko from the health shop? How many drops will you give to 8kg kid? How do you give it to them, can I mix it with a little water and bottle feed it?

Andrea: Would you add the rennet and do the Diarrest. Today I am doing 1 feed Diarrest the other feed Anlamb and will do that again tomorrow and then back onto milk for all the feeds.

His horns are about 5cm long. As said he will play with the hay but not really eat it but is keen to eat trees outside. He won't eat anything out my hand, I've tried bread, raisons, apple, Bob brew (mix from Faloons which has molasses in it).

He loves his bottle and I have to hold him away from the girl's bottle as he would want that too. When I first got him the lady said to feed him as much as he wanted.

The vet did not volunteer to do a fecal sample, should I ask them to do one?

More
9 years 11 months ago #489248 by Animal Crazy
The rescuers think he might have been a twin as they rescued another boy the same age and looks almost identical.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489252 by Andrea1
If his horns are 5cm, then he's way more than 9 weeks, I would say, unless he's got a lot of a dairy breed in him. What's his height at the withers? Can you post a photo of him?

I would use both the rennet and what your vet has given you to stop the scours. As long as he is scouring, he's going to be borderline dehydrated (if not worse), and not absorbing a lot of nutrients from what he's eating. Getting him to eat hay will be a really good thing, but if he wants to eat trees, bring him whatever he wants to eat (as long as it's not poisonous). Do you have any koromiko growing? It is really a good scour-stopper. My goats love it.

Add 5ml rennet (renco junket rennet is what I keep on hand) to at least 1 feed a day, if not more, but just what he will drink in one feed, or it will curdle the milk.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how many feeds, and what volume are you feeding him? Feeding what a kid will drink is asking for trouble, so that's not really very good advice you received. Not only do you run the rest of scouring, but you can also cause enterotoxemia.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489255 by katieb

Animal Crazy;493837 wrote: . He won't eat anything out my hand, I've tried bread, raisons, apple

I wouldnt bother with anything like that...hes an animal not a person.

The pines could be causing the upset. Do they not live outside? Fence the pine out of their area

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 11 months ago #489256 by katieb
just saw 300-400 x 4...thats way more than what he needed....no wonder hes not eating hay & grass his rumen wont have developed much as he hasnt needed to eat grass & hay.

Feral kids are smaller than dairy breeds so the anlamb directions are too much

How long ago did you drop the feeds? May take a few days to get scours under control, Id drop all the feeds to 250 & see what hes like after a few days

More
9 years 11 months ago #489265 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Kid with scours
As Andrea says, horns of 5cm in a feral makes him rather older than 8 or 9 weeks, in most cases. Our 4 month old feral doe only has stubs, as did our other feral that we got at a much younger age. Also if he was a twin, then that restricts feed intake and that restricts horn growth.
Here in Nelson we used to not have Haemonchus, because the weather was too cold. This year the animals are still getting Haemonchus worms because the weather has not been cold enough yet. So I would not be surprised if your goat has worms. The problem with a FEC (Fecal Egg Count) is that you are looking for a very few eggs in a big sample, so it is easy to not find them. Thus I would be drenching even if no eggs are found in the poo sample that you should take to the vet to check for both worm eggs and coccidia.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489268 by Animal Crazy
Andrea: He is 43 cm in the withers. Will try post a pic of him. I had never heard about koromiko until reading about it on this forum, will definitely plant some. Do you only give it to them when they need it or do they have access to it all the time?

I am currently feeding 3 x day (250ml x 2 day and last feed 300ml) but tonight gave him 250ml for last feed as per Katie suggestion.

I am quite angry that they gave me the wrong advice on the amount to feed.

Katie: We kept them indoors for the first week & then they have been outside during the day and in at night. I have been keeping them indoors on the days like today where it was a stormy rainy day. When should they be sleeping outside at night?

I only cut out the 4th feed 2 days ago but he has mostly been on Diarrest for the last 5 days since his scours has been so bad.

He seems to be more interested in the hay tonight after only feeding 250ml.

Longridge: I am very new at all this so sorry for the silly question. Is drenching the same as 5 in 1? If so then he got that 2 weeks ago. So much to learn never heard of Haemonchus.

So when & how often do I need to drench & deworm.

More
9 years 11 months ago #489270 by Animal Crazy
Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds