Baby Goat questions.

More
10 years 20 hours ago #37755 by Animal Crazy
Have not been here for a while and normally I am always talking chickens but we have got 2 baby rescue feral and they a super cute. A girl who is about 5 weeks old and a boy about 7 weeks old. For all those experts on goats could you answer a couple of questions for me:

1) The boy got desexed(band tied) a week ago and I wanted to know does his male hormones only stop once "it" falls off?
2) Both but especially the boy is trying to head butt my dog (cocker spaniel) is this play or is this aggression? Do I intervene? They have both got little horns already.
3) The kids want to teach them to walk on a lead. I have trained dogs with treats but what do you use on little kids that are still on bottles.
4) They are indoors, if I had to put them in the paddock will they run away or will they follow us? How long does it take for them to realise we are their family?

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 19 hours ago #488466 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Baby Goat questions.
How long have you had them? They tend to bond pretty quickly with their people, whom they will see as their herd. I would start taking them for wee walks in the paddock from as soon as they have bonded with you. This usually doesn't take more than a week, especially if they're being bottle fed.

I would not allow them to head butt anything but each other at this stage. They will learn bad manners if this isn't stopped whilst young. A quick flick on the nose and a firm 'no' will do it, but you need to be consistent, as with all training. They will learn quickly, goats are very intelligent.

A bit too young for lead training I don't start mine till they are at least 3-4 months old. They are eating all sorts by then, and you can introduce a bit of treat food (kid nuts/pellets, crushed/rolled barley; not large nuts/pellets, as they can choke on them) now; a lot will be wasted at first. For lead training, I clip a lead to the collars and give a very gentle tug so they get used to the feeling. That's all I'd do a few times a day for a day or so. Then, with treat in closed fist, let them see there's something in there, give them a tiny taste and then walk forward with hand in front of nose. Keep walking, coaxing, being gentle. Never pull, they will just pull backward, and creates a very negative association with being on a lead (goats learn quickly, and they also have long memories). By the end of a week if you're doing this daily, you will have a lead-trained goat. But do wait. Their young age is all about having fun and romping about, and they often balk at being controlled when that young. I show many of my goats, and most of my goats, including nearly all my 24 bucks are lead-trained.

Important training also includes having them respect your fences. Most goats don't and need electric outriggers at appropriate heights. Doesn't take more than a zap or two and they learn to stay back from fences. Goats aren't like sheep. They will try to climb ANYTHING.

More
10 years 17 hours ago #488472 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Baby Goat questions.
We used bum ropes on our calf club goats to help teach them leading as well as the lead rope so they were encouraged to go forwards from behind. This method is also used on small foals to start them leading.

Make up a small loop of rope which will sit over the back end just above the hocks and below the buttocks. Ask them to follow you as you step forward and use a small tug on the rope which you'll find gets them moving forward fairly easily, instantly release pressure on it as soon as they start to move.

They learn very fast and you'll find them quite easy to teach. I used to hold one rope in each hand so it was easier to give small tugs on the bum rope without putting pressure on their collars. All our old goats [15years+] still lead better than most peoples dogs! :D

You can use the bottle and pellets to help encourage them moving forward as a bribe [;)] which they will also be keen to work with. Try this before feeding time so they are keen to get to the bottle, works well for teaching them to run to you as well [;)] for calling. We started all ours leading and calling from the first few days, its more difficult once they are older.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
10 years 14 hours ago #488480 by Animal Crazy
Replied by Animal Crazy on topic Baby Goat questions.
We have only had them for 3 days and they got rescued just over a week ago. What sort of quantities of milk do you feed at this age? Do you let them eat as much as they want per feed or limit it?

Thanks Andrea and Baroque for your replies.

More
10 years 13 hours ago #488486 by Animal Crazy
How do you teach them to respect fences? How many hot wires should I run?

More
10 years 13 hours ago #488489 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Baby Goat questions.
Chest height and head height and another at the top if they seem like they like to jump things. We have very few jumpers, but that hot wire on the top keeps them from doing it. And they don't jump OUT of the property, the ones in the know are going for the feed shed, or the buck pens (during the breeding season).

More
9 years 11 months ago #488525 by Baroque
Hotwires just above ground, at chest height and on the top of the fence seem to work best. Most goats like to go under fences from my experience - or at least all mine have done this, which includes Angoras, ferals, Boers.

From memory [as its been a while since I hand reared any goats] you should use roughly the lamb age / weight quantity as a guideline off the sack of milk powder, adjust accordingly to the kids appetite but try not to over feed them too much or they may scour. We never had scouring with any we hand reared, we found it easier to put in an additional bottle feed if they seemed very hungry, they were all penned outside on grass with good shelter and they soon learned to come to us when they were called for their bottles.

Make a point of calling them when you go out with their bottles and they will learn very quickly what you want and should be following you about too. Put the collars & leads and bum ropes on early and you'll have beautifully behaved leading kids very quickly.

Of course they should be nibbling the grass which helps with their food intake. Just fence off a small pen for them during the day using a couple of gates or pallets or similar in a sheltered position and remember to give them a bucket of water too.

Make sure you vaccinate them when they are due!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488540 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Baby Goat questions.
Kids are different to lambs in that they have bigger feeds less often. So if you are using Anlamb then the weight of powder to water for goats should be used, but the twice per day directions for lambs (which in my opinion is wrong for lambs) is fine for goats.
Try to feed at the same time each day.
They start eating solids at about day 3.
We are in a low selenium area so I put one drop of Selmitt 1 into a feed, once.
Both males and females play headbutting games. Don't allow them to play that game with humans or the dogs.
A wether will not get smelly like a buck, but will ride the doe when she is on heat.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488542 by Baroque
Agree with LongRidge. We started the kids on 3-4 feeds/day but quickly got them down to 3/day within a week or so, then onto 2/day after about week 2 from memory.

Never had any heat butting issues with people or dogs with any we reared but I wouldn't allow them to do any behaviours as kids that I would want them doing as adults. Especially no jumping on people or children, head butting etc.

I'm the same with any young animal - just don't allow any behaviours when they are young which could potentially be dangerous when they are fully grown. This particularly applies to foals - I never scratch my foals on the backside because although they love it, when they are an adult horse its rather scary being presented with their rear end wanting a scratch! [xx(]

I've heard horror stories of people playing with foals allowing them to jump or climb all over them, put their front legs or hooves on their shoulders etc [}:)] which backfires badly when they are fully grown, so that's why they are not allowed to play like that at our place - ever!

Our wethers all mount each other quite happily. Its a sort of power game for them I think.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488551 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Baby Goat questions.
In my experience, mounting is often a sorting-out-the-dominance thing and even adult does will do it from time to time.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488595 by Baroque
Speaking of good fencing for goats, I got home last night to find I had some "goat leakage" again. A couple of the hogget goaties had put themselves through the new "goat impervious" fence and into the gully where they shouldn't be. [}:)]

It was good that the fencer was still there working on one of the other fences, so I showed him that the fence must be leaking somewhere and made him help shift the little blighters back in with the rest of the girls. He's promised to fix it today.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488774 by Animal Crazy
Thanks for all your advice sorry only replying now been sick in bed. I only have 7 wire fencing but while taking the goats for a walk in the paddock they just walked through the fence as they are so small. I have the fencer coming to fix some of the fencing so will get him to run me some hot wires & hope that will do the trick.

The little girl has been having intermittent scours & has spots all over her ears and nose which she arrived with but it seems to have got worse. Might get the vet to give her the once over. Its all a new learning curve and great to have you guys to ask questions.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488787 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Baby Goat questions.
scours will likely be nutritional...changing amount/type of milk or temp or mixing rate can cause a scour

Check her for lice as that can cause little scabs

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 11 months ago #488788 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Baby Goat questions.
I used to set up a little temp fence with a house attached(we made it) & move it around the lawn for the kid goats, fence was off a deal website for about $60 as a pet fence & I would secure it with pigtail standards so they couldnt push it over

Now I have a small chainlink mesh fenced paddock for them

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 11 months ago #488811 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Baby Goat questions.
When making the milk, it is very wise to weigh both the powder and the water on the same scales. One of our friends made her pet very sick by using a measuring scoop for the powder, and an wrongly calibrated kitchen jug to measure the water. It was out by 20%. With the scoop it can be easy to press down more this time than next. Then if the measurements on the water device are wrong that will make the milk either too weak or too strong, and things can get worse if you use different jugs from time to time.
The little scabs are very likely to be "dermataphilosis" which is a skin disease caused by a bug during wet weather. We wash with iodine then grease the spots to keep the skin supple.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds