Why aren't my Pekins laying?

More
9 years 10 months ago #37606 by ZummersetGirl
My 2 Pekins are now about 18 months old and have stopped laying. They moulted about 6 weeks ago and I haven't had an egg since. When I first saw the amount of white feathers on the ground I thought something had attacked them [:0] but they reappeared as happy as Larry [:I]

I have searched high and low for the eggs just in case they are hiding them but no luck:( any suggestions as to what is going on will be appreciated. They ad lib feed from the grandpa feeder and I give them a little dog roll when I give it to the chooks (who are looking extremely ragged at the moment).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #487024 by ahdeek
Replied by ahdeek on topic Why aren't my Pekins laying?
most hens stop laying eggs when they go into a moult and will not start laying again till the daylight hour start getting longer again - ie june /july -maybe as late as august if really unluckly. new hens that start laying just before winter normal lay though winter for the first session tho.

More
9 years 10 months ago #487026 by stephclark
duck or chook?

my two ducks ( pekin ).. moulted about 2 mths ago, like you I thought 'oh no' when I saw the clouds of white feathers everywhere..but they have started up laying again
we get 2 eggs a day ..

not a single egg from the freeloading chooks.. but then we are feeding them regularly.. don't know why it is but my chooks only lay well when not being fed.. daft

More
9 years 10 months ago #487038 by ZummersetGirl
The chooks are off the lay and are looking very bedraggled - but I expected that. The ducks are the freeloaders at the moment - all that food and not one egg :(

More
9 years 10 months ago #487039 by granny56r
I'm sorry! I'm a big chook girl and I did smile at your question Zummerset......my first response was going to be "because they're pekins" but then I think the other replies are perfect! I'm smiling as I write.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
9 years 10 months ago #487040 by granny56r
Mine are all freeloading at the moment too....so I hear ya!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
9 years 10 months ago #487122 by Stikkibeek
I have two pullets from last Octber that are laying, one hen has just started, The muscovy duck has also started and a little Araucana that I have had about 6 weeks has also begun. There's 8 eggs in the incubator and I'm beginning to sell eggs again.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 10 months ago #487172 by mikethebike
that would be because its winter all of our ducks are freeloaders at the moment and some of the chooks,

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds