Rechargeable Torch

More
9 years 11 months ago #37497 by witheze
Rechargeable Torch was created by witheze
Can anyone recommend a brand of above?
I must have had the only good one ever made (Eveready) and now it's old and not holding charge and I can't seem to be able to replace it. It was the shape of the dolphin torch but rechargeable. Saw a review of Arlec and it was described as terrible, also its replacements! Three of them! Any good ideas? RD1 won't stock Everready as they had too many problems too!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486067 by The4horsemen11
Replied by The4horsemen11 on topic Rechargeable Torch
While its not rechargeable I have opted for LED torches, they aren't necessarily expensive and I change the batteries in them approximately never (ok every couple of years or so).

More
9 years 11 months ago #486071 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Rechargeable Torch
I bought a whole load of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries and a decent charger and we run all the torches and various other devices off those. Best torch I've ever bought is a LED Lenser P14. Expensive ($150ish) but it'll presumably last for a very long time and its light is fantastically bright.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486074 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Rechargeable Torch
Don't buy an Energizer rechargeable spot light as they are just that a spot light.
hopeless as the spot is quite small even at a distance.
Buy a p14 led lenser.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486076 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Rechargeable Torch
Highly recommend LED torches than run on rechargeable lithium 18650 batteries. They are not very common in NZ for some reason, but are very popular elsewhere.

You get spotlight-like brightness from a 'normal' sized torch. Battery life 2-20 hours depending on brightness (3 levels selectable by clicking power button). Batteries are rechargeable in a few hours vs overnight for normal rechargable batteries. The included chargers also charge standard rechargeable batteries. I've been using my batteries (2) for 3 years and they still are going strong.

Can also get waterproof (for diving) and zooming models (good for spotlighting).

PM me if this is of interest - I have imported quite a few sets for people who have seen mine and been impressed. Hunting shops are selling sets that have been retrofitted to use C batteries for well over $200. Actual cost is closer to $70 including lithium batteries and a charger.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486077 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Rechargeable Torch
What is it mainly for, witheze? I have a wind up one for keeping by bed/emergencies, not a large beam but very handy...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 11 months ago #486106 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic Rechargeable Torch
We have one of these in each bathroom. Motion switch turns on for a minute or so. Saves using lights for those nocturnal visit.
Torch is removable as it sits in an induction charging cradle.
Front face is an LED lantern and the end an LED torch.
It won't light up the world, but is always charged and will help you get around
Think it came from Bunnings.
Name is "Click"

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/490325=13959-Click. Model CLKRT200.jpg[/img]

More
9 years 11 months ago #486120 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Rechargeable Torch
Just a torch to see my way around my sheds at night reggit....continually walking between house and sheds, mainly to feed horses......and find absent cats.... :) Don't need extreme brightness, just reliability.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486122 by The4horsemen11
Replied by The4horsemen11 on topic Rechargeable Torch
In that case Id just grab a cheap LED head mounted torch from bunnings or the like ...

More
9 years 11 months ago #486125 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Rechargeable Torch
I'd also go with the head mounted LED. Mine are from the local $2 shop. They're actually about $9 and take 3 AAA batteries. I have two or three at any one time and between the three of them, they last all winter. New batteries each year when daylight saving ends.

I also have a couple of clip on lights which are designed to attach onto the peak of a baseball style cap. I clip them to the visor of my crash helmet for riding in the dark.

Once you've used a head mounted torch, you'll never go back to a hand held - hands free makes a huge difference.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486145 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Rechargeable Torch
I got an "Energiser" brand recharge torch, a few years ago brilliant. about $40 from memory. Still going strong, I like the fact it is so light to carry around obviously due to no batteries!

Just got it from Countdown.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
9 years 11 months ago #486163 by Fat Joan
Replied by Fat Joan on topic Rechargeable Torch
I have bought 2 led head torches with 18650 lithium batteries from eBay. They are very cheap, come with the rechargeable batteries etc and very bright. They are Chinese made and I just buy a new one each year but for the money $20-$30 including post they are truly good value.
The main issue with these type of batteries is that they will not recharge if used till flat so I charge mine as routine after a couple of hrs use. This is fine as they have no memory and will fully charge each time.

Try searching the details below on eBay, there are heaps of them

2000Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED 18650 Headlamp Rechargeable Headlamp

More
9 years 11 months ago #486195 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Rechargeable Torch
for easy get-around type lights, mum bought a second solar rechargable the other day, they just live on the kitchen windowsill and charge up as they sit.

no need to plug them in or do anything, and with leds, they last a fair while on a charge.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 11 months ago #486250 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Rechargeable Torch

Fat Joan;490394 wrote: The main issue with these type of batteries is that they will not recharge if used till flat

Many 18650 cells have a protection circuit (PTC) built in that protects the battery from over and under discharge. If you go above or below a certain voltage the PTC will activate preventing damage to the battery by prevent further charging or discharging. Photo attached showing PTC, and connection to positive and negative battery terminals. Bottom of PTC is used as the 'negative' terminal.

The cheap Chinese chargers are not able to reset PTCs to allow charging. I'd recommend you get yourself a Nitecore I2 (2 bay) or I4 (4 bay) charger. The Nitecore chargers are far superior (better made, no 'buzzing' while charging, doesn't get as hot).

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
9 years 11 months ago #486399 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Rechargeable Torch
shall buy one from Keppelk......might look for a solar job too....Keppelk??? or is there such a thing as a torch warehouse ? :)

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds