where to now.. looking for new home

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485873 by belinda_h
Manawatu/Rangitikei/Wanganui - climate decent, good growing, cheaper property prices, decent work opportunities. And lots of lovely LSBers :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485876 by Hawkspur
Here's one argument for Southland from some of my cousins in Dairy farming: "moving to Southland (from Manawatu) has been the best thing we ever did. Things are so much easier to manage."
No matter where you are there will be issues, but what do you want to do on the land? That would be a determiner.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485877 by stephclark

Hawkspur;490065 wrote: Here's one argument for Southland from some of my cousins in Dairy farming: "moving to Southland (from Manawatu) has been the best thing we ever did. Things are so much easier to manage."
No matter where you are there will be issues, but what do you want to do on the land? That would be a determiner.

DO?.. probably what we do now, bugger all :D .. just like not having neighbours right on the front yard.. we do a lot of sitting and looking at the freezer beasties grow and the chooks digging up the garden..

we are too lacking in enthuse to actually do anything anymore.. once we did the calf raising thing, and competitive horse thing.. not anymore..
just somewhere to have a garden, that is safe for the cats and enough room for a wee JR dog to ferret around..a few chooks and freezer beast..oh and the ever present equine paddock ornament.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485961 by Stu_R
for what you will get for your place up there :) .. move south wards and you will have lots of money left over after you has brought your 5-20 acres :) .. by the sounds of it Steph , i reckon go to where ever you think you guys would like to be , and go where your hobbies are good ... and you can get enough land for your horse/horses and your dog to run and have lots of money left over from sale of your present place :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485978 by RaeM1
Pokeno is a very forward place, so there should be good work around that, and its not too far to travel up to Pukekohe, or where ever, and the travel is easier as well. Tuakau also comes under that umbrella as well. Not far is you have to travel for work, but prices may be a bit lighter than nourth of the city. And with all the express ways that seem to being done travel should not be a big problem. I live in the Waikato, and the fogs are not that big a thing, and the fact that there is work in the city is a big plus.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486005 by tonic
Tauranga is nice, not too cold, not too humid and plenty of differing areas in the wider Bay of Plenty to choose from.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486017 by max2

RaeM1;490184 wrote: Pokeno is a very forward place, so there should be good work around that, and its not too far to travel up to Pukekohe, or where ever, and the travel is easier as well. Tuakau also comes under that umbrella as well. Not far is you have to travel for work, but prices may be a bit lighter than nourth of the city. And with all the express ways that seem to being done travel should not be a big problem. I live in the Waikato, and the fogs are not that big a thing, and the fact that there is work in the city is a big plus.

Pokeno has shot up in value with the new subdivisions going in and the industrial estate (milk powder factory etc) currently being built. Tuakau's new industrial area on Whangarata Road is all go ahead too.

However both of those areas are local to me and there is a state of confusion as to whether we are Waikato or Auckland based for different services.

Waikato council are refusing to accept building progress inspections undertaken by a certain Auckland City Council (former Franklin District Council) inspector. Auckand say Tuakau will NOT get their once thriving railway station rebuilt. They are fighting to get an ambulance station in tuakau and despite good fundraising efforts, rumour abounds the best we will see is a first response team.

Stay away from Huntly and surrounds. The low econ. areas just below Pokeno and Nth Huntly are (apparently) taking a long time to be served by the police who have 1 car that covers Te Kauwhata etc. Its a huge area.

I have been told 3rd hand the police are trying to move the undesirables who they frequently visit out of those areas and into Huntly where they can get to them quickly. So far the couple I know of are refusing to budge despite landlord efforts to have them moved on.... (their failure to comply with TT orders probably has something to do with potential landlords not wanting them either).

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486020 by MooandPop
We are pretty happy 10 mins from Tuakau. My wife commutes to AK CBD 4 days a week, 50mins each way

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486052 by MurrayR
Moved to Mangatangi two years ago and love it.
30 minutes to Pukekohe. 40min to Manukau.
Warmer than Hamilton or Auckland during the day and warmer than Hamilton at night. Less rain than either. Foggy in the valleys but always gone by mid morning.
Go fishing at Kaiua. Pub at Maramarua. (only on Friday!)
Firestation and first response unit in the hamlet and we come under Manukau Health District. Excellent primary school. Local hall. Tennis club. Modern well supported church.
Mostly dairy country with dozens of LSB of various sizes from half acre up.
We ain't moving!

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486079 by igor
How's the search going Steph? Harcourts have several lsb listings in this area for under $400k and some of them look all right. NoI don't work for them, I just got bored and had a look.

More
10 years 1 week ago #486840 by stephclark
well am now in a complete state of panic.. have listed mine and it goes to auction in a month.. I am about to explode with the stress of it all..i am paralysed by the enormity of it all and haven't a clue where to start...
have approached agents in and around whangarei..
not only having to find somewhere else.. but moving cats, dogs,horses,cattle and 30 years accumulated junk..then there is the tidy the place up for open homes..aaaaahhhhhhh..[:0]

More
10 years 1 week ago #486841 by tonic
Aaaaargh, I feel anxious just imagining it! Good luck, take it one step at a time and accept any help offered.

More
10 years 1 week ago #486842 by stephclark
my problem is that OH isn't well and needs to be supervised and guided when doing things and I work full time..so its ME .. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night and suspect it is going to be the first of many sleepless nights...
and they wanted to take photos today and OH has made a right real mess of the place ( he calls it tidying up ).. there is stuff piled high in the rooms, looks like a hoarder moved in last week..[;)]

More
10 years 1 week ago #486843 by seatil
Yeah, it can be "fun" trying to get the timing right on things. We kept in mind the backup plan of a lifestyle rental (or least somewhere amenable to 6 cats and 20 chickens...) when we moved up here a year ago, which helped keep the panic levels down a lot! Maybe some short term grazing might be an option for the horse/cattle? (no idea really!).

Don't be afraid to give the agents a call and ask them to show you multiple properties on their books that might be suitable. We had one agent take us through probably 10-12 properties on their books. That gave us a really good overview of what was available in the area, and it let us know what really was important to us vs what we thought was. It also showed us large areas of Whangarei surrounds that we probably never would have known existed.

We ended up buying the 25th property we looked at... I never want to view another house again!

More
10 years 1 week ago #486844 by seatil
If you've got lots of stuff in the house, it may pay to put excess stuff into a storage unit. Don't be afraid to put some furniture in there too if you have a lot of it around. The difference it made to our place was amazing!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds