where to now.. looking for new home

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #37468 by stephclark
ok.. so am on the look about for a new home.. its time to flee the supa city and the bank basically pushing for this to happen.. :(

but being a typical Jaffa, I don't realy know where to go..[:I]
soo.. whats good about where you are?.. couple of things on my wish list

cant stand lots of wind, am not fond of the cold, couldn't cope with earthquakes or hills.. so pretty much sth island and wgtn out there.

looking for 5acres minimum with house, reasonable condition ( too old to do much around the place ) and somewhere where there is the opportunity of outside employment..

am looking at maybe, Waikato, hawkes bay, kaipara ...

any suggestions?..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485820 by seatil
I moved to Whangarei 11 months ago from the Waitakere Ranges. Absolutely NO regrets at all.

What's good:

* Lovely climate
* GREAT people (seriously great)
* Town has all the mod cons
* Rush "hour" is more like rush 10 minutes
* Plenty of LSB options both close to and away from town (we're 17 minutes drive from the CBD and there are closer options)
* Much cheaper land/housing than Auckland
* Auckland is reachable in a day trip should you ever have the overwhelming desire to remind yourself of why you moved away in the first place.

What's not good:

* Availability of sanely priced flights into and out of Whangarei
* Whangarei doesn't know what a good vegetable shop looks like (and hubby only managed a Bonsai vegetable garden this year)
* That seems to be it

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485824 by igor
Come on steph, you know you could get used to the South. I did and twenty years on I now find Northland uncomfortably hot and the days too short if I go back there in the Summer. Plenty of decent properties available down here and cheap by comparison to the North Island.
Plenty of other Falcon drivers down here too.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485827 by Trace
Having lives in the Waikato, it can get mighty cold there! Much prefer the South Island cold, easy to wrap up against. Good luck on your search. We shifted from Auckland to North Canterbury six years ago and love it.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485830 by max2
As a resident of Nth Waikato that was affected by the district council boundary changes, there is a lot of confusion here as to which Council is funding this and that service for ratepayers.

As far as the health service goes we are still under Counties Manukau and as my Dad was recently hospitalised in Middlemore, I would suggest where ever you look seriously at, find out about nearest ambulance stations, 24 hour manned police stations and first response bases.

We come under Manukau for policing and even during business hours I have ended up having calls going to Manukau and they just don't understand rural needs and you are left waiting to see ''if there is a car in the district''.

Personally I would love to head to the south island. :) I also have friends near Kaitaia and they love it and are pleased to have made the move from here.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485833 by Morgs
Absolutely Whangarei, I'm originally from that region and I rate it very highly from a lifestyle block perspective. Especially Coastal regions, a lot of my family own homes in the district ranging from coastal lsb at whangarei heads through to larger properties near Tiger Mountain etc. My Aunt has just bought a fantastic first home 3 bedroom and a little bit of a do up near tutukaka for 262k, (no land though) Once we have our daughters at a more independent age we are keen to move up Matakana way near takatu way would be my ideal location :) more house land etc vs Coatesville that's for sure.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485834 by Stikkibeek
I used to live in the Waikato (near Cambridge) Although I love the countryside around there, I do not like the pea soup fogs and heavy frosts. Prices of land also high.
Waihi is a nice area. Good soil, close to Tauranga or Hamilton if you want bigger city or, Thames for smaller centres and good town facilities. 1 1/2 hours from Southern Auckland close to good beaches, hot water pools, best RSA in the country (Waihi Beach) Rates a bit high at Waihi beach, but not in Waihi township.
Kaipara (out near the river) has Ross river mosquitoes and the council up there are broke. Think Mangawai and the expensive sewage scheme rate payers are up in arms about. There are good places around Warkworth but that is back in the Stupid city rates zone although it's a fairly easy commute to Auckland now.
You could easily do some day trips to some of the areas around the greater Auckland area to see what things are like.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485849 by Anne
What sort of outside employment do you want? That may well decide where you can live - and how far from a main centre.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485850 by spark

stephclark;490000 wrote: am looking at maybe, Waikato, hawkes bay, kaipara ...

any suggestions?..

Well, stephclark, I used to be a Jaffa too, but my parents moved away from Auckland when I was about 3 years old...

You mention Hawkes Bay, which gets earthquakes too. Our winters are mild compared to the south island, but we can have hot dry summers (some properties have water issues) and strong hot dry northwesterly winds. We have plenty of flat land around Hastings and Napier, but be mindful of the liquification risk (I am not a geologist, but I understand that the Heretaunga plains are quite similar to the Canterbury plains).

If you move to Hawkes Bay you probably do not want to make the mistake of relying on our "expressway" (between Hastings & Napier) for your daily commute as it has several bad intersections that are not really fit-for purpose (eg the links rd - pakowhai rd - state highway 2 intersection). Admittedly, it is usually not stop-go crawling like the Auckland motorway, but far too many of our drivers seem to be impatient, tailgating, and in far too much of a rush :(
Ever had a stock truck and trailer "undertake" you on the hard shoulder of the expressway because you were following at a safe distance behind the slow vehicle in-front instead of tailgating it?
State Highway 2 between Hastings - Otane - Waipukurau - Waipawa is also quite busy.

Yes, I want out of the rat-race too, and the biggest impediment that I see to that is the cost of land around here - go an hour and a half south of Hawkes bay (down Dannevirke way) and land prices are much more affordable, but then I don't know what my chances of finding work down there would be like...

Good luck.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485858 by kai
Kapiti has a nice climate and plenty of flat very fertile soil if you stay away from the sand dunes. Yup there was the Ekatahuna earthquake, but they are not common hear. We personally did not suffer drought over the summer. The climate is better than say Palmerston North.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485862 by katieb
North king country or waipa area. ..pirongia, te awamutu, otorohanga, Waitomo, te kuiti. All no more than an hour from Hamilton.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485863 by kate
+ 1 for Whangarei, great climate, gorgeous beaches, friendly neighbours and cheap land....

Web Goddess

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485865 by muri
I think once you have lived in auckland and dont like the cold, going any further south, and particularly inland or central would not be where you want to head. All those places will be colder in winter, unless you go east coast down coromandel/Tauranga way.
I would be getting out a soil map first and foremost and looking at areas that dont have clay but good fertile soils, volcanic or the like.
It also depends what kind of work you are doing where you will locate surely?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485869 by stephclark
awesome feedback.. thanks all.. umm had wondered about the frosts and fog in Waikato..( not my fav [;)] )
thanks for the hints on soil map..

am just a humble office/accounts person.. so shouldn't be too hard

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #485872 by Newbies
Come to Southland :) Don't believe what anyone north of CHCH tells you about the weather down here. Yep it can get quite cold in winter, but the cold and wet has its benefits when you live rural. Its not all bad! I don't remember when the last earthquake was that you could actually feel, and I think the last serious flood was '84? We also generally only get windy early autumn and its nothing major.

The people are lovely, housing is cheaper than most regions in the country, and our wee economy is thriving at the moment (touch wood...).

Invercargill in particular is pretty flat, and I know a lot of people who commute for work, even going as far as Dunedin.

You might wait 5 mins at the most at a set of lights if you're trying to get home from work at around 3.15pm or 5.00pm, but otherwise you can get to where you want to go pretty quickly, with no trouble finding a park...or having to sell organs to pay for it!

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds