How much land do you require for 3 18 month ewes?

More
10 years 1 month ago #485813 by The4horsemen11
When it is quoted x animals per acre it is then multiplied by the number of acres on the farm, but bare in mind these are calculated for farms and the thing you need to take into account along side them is the rotation length ie the amount of time the grass has to recover, obviously that's significantly different if you are on 100acres rather than 5 ... This seems to be where people are running into issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485831 by Morgs
Hi all, thanks so much for your knowledge here as we are first timers We are trying to play it safe I guess, we have a fair bit of kikuyu grass but they are munching away at this. The ewes are actually 9 months old (my mistake) so too young to have lambs. They are beautiful girls though I must say, mum is a merino, arapawa cross and dad is a sire moorit coloured Romney. The colouring and wool is quite exceptional, we are looking forward to breeding next year but hopefully we can borrow a Ram vs purchasing one as our daughters are getting attached and enjoy going into the paddock to feed them sheep nuts and don't want the worry of them been run over by a overprotective ram.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485900 by tonic

muri;489980 wrote: Tonic I do see what you are saying.
Do you think, out of interest, its possible tho to fit in 8 sheep to the acre on really well managed land, or even 5 sheep to take it to the lesser number.

I really don't know, hence not meaning to comment on actual numbers. I have very steep rough land here so don't have experience of what good land can actually acheive. I certainly couldn't do 5 to an acre here.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds