Will my chicken pull thru?

More
10 years 1 month ago #37426 by Arianna
Pullet, born in spring, leghorn/barred rock cross, housed in coop with attached run in a backyard, Christchurch city. Feed Vitapet for City Chickens plus scraps, not much opportunity to free range. 4 chooks in flock, another cross the same age plus two Hylines who are 3 mths younger. Other 3 chickens all fine.

Chicken is moulting and was looking miserable for 7-10 days but feeding/drinking. Noticed she was getting knocked down by other chooks and seemed cold. Also her poops wet, unformed and brown.

Wednesday last week she too weak to go up run into coop so I bought her inside. By Friday she was very miserable & weak. After looking up on Google I suspected crop bound so massaged her crop and feed her honey water with eyedropper. On Saturday she strong enough to climb out her box so I put her outside for afternoon.

Now Monday she still weak and inside, she sleeps til midday when I put her outside on her own. Seems happy enough in sun scratching around. I'm feeding her cooked wheat, cooked veggies, and she is eating ok now.

Will she pull thru and be able to fend for herself eventually? Is there anything else I can do for her to build up her strength? I also have concerns when she goes back outside of getting cold as she is in moult.

Really appreciate your advice as I don't have a lot of experience with chickens (or I might have picked she was crop bound earlier).

Thanks
Ari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485447 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Will my chicken pull thru?
Unless her crop was really big and hard (crop bound) or big and squishy (sour crop) I doubt whether the crop was actually the problem.

Cooked wheat and cooked veggies isn't very nutritious for a moulting chook-if that is the problem. She needs protein and fat for feather growth and energy to keep warm. Try her with a bit of dog roll, mince, any sort of meat or fat, plus maize and dried peas as an addition. Being sleepy and weak is more a sign of an infection or not getting enough nutrition while moulting and so she is vulnerable to infection. She may also be going through a coccidiosis challenge so needs to be kept warm and dry with plenty of feed. The City chickens feed is for layers and I think may have some meat meal in it as it is for chickens kept inside. Let her have as much as she can eat.

Will she pull through? Hard to say, depends on the cause and her immune system.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485461 by Arianna
Replied by Arianna on topic Will my chicken pull thru?
Thanks Sue for prompt reply. I have put her back on the pellets and gave her some cold lamb plus some beef dripping. The dripping disappeared quickly and she has eaten the meat and some pellets too. Plan to get a dog roll when the shops open tomorrow.

I think you are right about her having coccidiosis - I have Googled it and she was hunched up just like in the pics. Also the weather here has been wet and warm. The coop is up off the ground and always dry with a deep layer of untreated sawdust. The run is well drained being on sandy soil but we have had rain/showers/drizzle/overcast for weeks with some really warm days between.

Hopefully with the changed diet she will come right - fingers crossed.

Once again, thanks for the advice - I will keep in touch with developments.

Ari

More
10 years 1 month ago #485635 by Arianna
Replied by Arianna on topic Will my chicken pull thru?
The chicken has died. The remaining three all look healthy and happy.

Thanks for advice, I really appreciated your support.

Ari

More
10 years 1 month ago #485641 by Sue
Thanks for the update but sorry she didn't make it.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485812 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Will my chicken pull thru?
Sorry your chicken didn't make it Arianna :( I hope you are not disheartened but unfortunately once they've reached a certain point, there can often be no bringing a chicken back, especially a young pullet. I've learned SO much from this site and from Sue so keep reading, especially threads posted by other people.

If you think it was coccidiosis I wonder if you might want to get a bottle of Coxiprol (you can buy it from the likes of CRT etc) for your 'chicken kit'? The only problem I found though was it comes in a HUGE bottle and you don't use a hell of a lot. So unless you've got a big flock and you actually need to use it, it'll probably expire before you finish it. What do you think Sue?

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #485815 by Sue
In answer to Newbies comments re Coxiprol, you can get 250ml bottles from here . I'm assuming you might have had a 1 litre bottle?

Yes, having a bottle of treatment on hand is a good insurance against losing chicks from this disease.

Actually the chances of Cocci in an older bird, say point of lay and older, is quite rare as they usually pick it up much earlier in life and get immunity. The only exceptions to older birds picking up cocci is if they have previously been in cages and then suddenly go down on to the floor-like " ex battery hens being given access to free range, or a shed where other birds have already lived on the floor, or birds being shifted to a completely new area, perhaps from a place where they have lived as the only bird/s to being mixed in with a flock and a completely new set of coccidiosis species.

Sue

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #485826 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Will my chicken pull thru?
Thanks Sue! Yes I do have a 1 litre bottle (well did have as it is expired now!) so I'm pleased I can find a smaller bottle elsewhere.

I've only had to use it once so far for ex-battery hens (which I don't do anymore) but think its a good idea to have some on hand, particularly considering I now raise my own chicks. So far haven't had to use it for young birds so hopefully it stays that way!

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds