2 Ewes in lamb please!

More
10 years 1 month ago #37405 by Morgs
2 Ewes in lamb please! was created by Morgs
Hi all, I wondering if any one can help here please, I'm after 2 Ewes in lamb. I have been trying very to find some Gotlands with no luck. We are first time sheep owners and would love some easy non flighty sheep if possible. We are based in the Coatesville area. If any knows knows of any thing please do flick me a message. Thanks heaps. Em

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485271 by muri
Replied by muri on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
Morgs theres heaps of sheep - gotlands on trade me for sale, and some in coatsville

More
10 years 1 month ago #485386 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
I could possibly help if you are interested ..take a look here[;)]
Have a look through the gallery :)
baabeedoll.wordpress.com/
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 1 month ago #485390 by Morgs
Replied by Morgs on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
Thanks Muri, frustratingly they are all sold but the tm ads are still up. Il get there :) thanks and happy Easter too! :o

More
10 years 1 month ago #485397 by muri
Look up Gavin Deadman in pukekohe, he has registered gotlands but i cant find his number. Is the one headed Gotland romney x on trade me sold out as she is in coatsville in glenmore road

More
10 years 1 month ago #485427 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
The Gotlands that I've been associated with had very bad feet problems on dry, stoney ground. They are not a breed that I would like to have, because of that. I suspect they are not shedders either, so if not will need shearing. Thus you may as well get an easier breed that gives a sellable fleece, and has good feet. Or tame Wiltshire that shed.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485430 by chocolatewoolnz

LongRidge;489561 wrote: The Gotlands that I've been associated with had very bad feet problems on dry, stoney ground.

From my experience Gotland sheep do very feel on dry, stoney ground. I breed Gotlands in the Hakataramea Valley which is very much dryland farming. They did very well. From my experience it tends to be the heavy, poorer draining soils where Gotlands get feet problems. In terms of wool, they need shorn twice a year, but I average around $15/$17 kg and up to $20/kg for lambs wool. However, that has not happened overnight, rather I have been breeding them since 1998.

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

More
10 years 1 month ago #485439 by muri
The Gotlands do really well on stony ground. The problem with their feet is not that they are innately bad but they grow very fast. Hence the stony ground is really good at keeping their feet nice and short and trim.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485468 by Morgs
Replied by Morgs on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
Awesome thanks Muri il touch base with Gavin tonight. We are still very keen on the Gotland breed so fingers crossed we can sort soon.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #486157 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic 2 Ewes in lamb please!
Hi Morgs, I'm Vice President of the Gotland Pelt Breeders' Group. If you'd like to join up, we can supply you with a membership list which has the contact details of our members. The joining fee is kept low, so that people with even a couple of ewes can afford to join.

It also means that you can buy registered sheep which have a pedigree, so you know what you're getting.

Email me (click on my name in the left hand margin of this post) and give me your contact details and I can post you out a membership form.

I trim our Gotland sheeps' feet 2 or 3 times a year and providing you haven't got the footrot bacteria in your pastures, you should be alright. If you have, inoculating with with FootVax will sort the problem out for you. As long as the vaccine is given at the correct time of the year, when the females are neither lactating, about to become pregnant, or are in-lamb.

Treating the feet of any sheep coming onto your property, at the same time as you give them a quarantine drench, is a very good idea. The feet can be dipped in Copper Sulphate solution for a number of minutes, to allow it to soak in and hopefully kill any bacteria between the toes.

The friendliness of sheep is dependant on how much they are handled and given treats for bribery. Gotlands are very clever and soon work out what they need to do, in order to earn their handful of sheep nuts (multinuts).

You will need good fences though, as they like to graze on the best grass and don't mind getting under fences to get there.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds