Feeding pigs

More
10 years 1 month ago #37390 by Jaffadutch
Feeding pigs was created by Jaffadutch
Hi,

Just wondering what everyone feeds their pigs?
Currently I am feeding sow pellets but its bloody expensive.

I have a friend who keeps pigs, he feeds the PKE and they eat grass, he supplements with sea weed and mineral blocks. I have looked into this with info on the web and it doesn't sound like a great diet....but his pigs look healthy and apparently taste great.

What do you guys feed?

regards

Glen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485170 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Feeding pigs
We feed cooked barley and whey when we have it. All our animals (goats, pigs, cow) HATED the PKE, which I was fool enough to try a while back. Now I have a feed bin full of it and no one will eat it. When I tried it in the pig's breakfast, she spilled her food all over the place and then glared at me and stomped off.

We can get barley for a good price, and then keep a small burner going during the day to cook the barley. It adds a little to the cost of the barley, but we've found that nothing goes through, as it does even with rolled or crushed barley. So for it to be more digestible makes the extra cost of cooking it worthwhile.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485173 by hogies
Replied by hogies on topic Feeding pigs
I have had good success with Canola Meal as a supplement to normal feed fairly cheap at $600 per tonne and high in Protein.

I normally feed it 30-50% with something else such as waste milk or colostrum or boiled bakery scraps.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485175 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Feeding pigs
I have a friend with a housecow and they feed milk to their pigs and scraps etc plus I suspect some grain. My husband's family reared pigs on grain - mainly barley, soaked in milk from their cow and we intend to follow a similar plan once we are milking.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485177 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Feeding pigs
We buy sacks of dried peas that were soak. We are also feeding them buckets full of apples. Vegetables grom the garden and all are doing well including the piglets. When we have it we give them surplus milk whey etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 1 month ago #485181 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Feeding pigs
We fed our last lot cooked spuds, cooked table scraps and sprouted barley twice daily, and they were free range on grass. We also chucked over fresh apples and vegies from the garden every now and then. They grew really well and had the perfect amount of back fat.

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #485183 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Feeding pigs
there are heaps of wild apple trees on the side of the road.. I picked them on a regular basis and fed to the pigs

More
10 years 1 month ago #485188 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Feeding pigs
Feed peas, + scraps and free range. Some breeds do better free range than others. If you have a free source of scraps even better.
Vegeshops often have throw away fruit and vege's, apples windfall if you have an orchard locally
The also did well on sugar beet (speedibeet) ( the horse didn't want it)

More
10 years 1 month ago #485191 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Feeding pigs

Andrea;489269 wrote: It adds a little to the cost of the barley, but we've found that nothing goes through, as it does even with rolled or crushed barley. So for it to be more digestible makes the extra cost of cooking it worthwhile.

Yes, unlike oats barley is a very hard grain to digest without some pre-processing. It is a physically hard grain, plus the starch in it is less easily digested than that in other grains.

I chuck mine in the slow cooker with a good amount of water and slow cook it all day (or night) until the grains are split. Doesn't smell the greatest - I did mine in the garage rather than kitchen.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485203 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Feeding pigs
I have fed mine crushed grain, most often wheat but sometimes barley, soaked for a few hours in either water or milk for some years. If I was forced to feed whole grain because nothing else was available I boiled it first into a kind of porridge or else a large proportion of it would go through undigested.
I was able to buy a large quantity of cheese at a good price once and the pigs did well on a bit that with their grain while it lasted. I bought a ton of tapioca once and while the pigs ate it they didn't appear to actually like it and didn't do terribly well on it so I would not buy it again.
Lately I have been feeding potatoes because they are cheap. Scholarly opinion is divided on the need to cook potatoes for pigs. I'm sure they would be better food if cooked but I have been feeding them raw on the advice of two large animal vets who assure me that this practice is unlikely to be harmful.
My brother has been feeding his pigs kumaras of late because he can get them for a good price and he reports that the pigs are doing okay on them.

More
10 years 1 month ago #485249 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Feeding pigs
We have Jerusalem artichokes, planted outside the pigpen - can we just throw the chokes in for the pigs. We're more than happy that they they then grow in there?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 1 month ago #485255 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Feeding pigs
We give them crushed barley plus we collect food everyday from a local preschool who cook all their own food and that covers one feed. I was criticised on here previously for this but it works fine for us, last lot of pigs were fine and this lot are doing ok too :-)

~Flossie~

More
10 years 1 month ago #485260 by mc2631
Replied by mc2631 on topic Feeding pigs
crushed grain soak it overnight wheat ,peas ,barley ,corn or mix them together
if they are not on grass you must add veggie scraps for balance in my experience
as above breed does determine how they perform in a free range environment
milk is always a great source of feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds