Stink!!

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #37209 by kai
Stink!! was created by kai
We emptied the parapool a week ago and with the cyclone warning, decided today was a good time to pack it away in case it blew away.
Under the pool was a tarpaulin. I pulled it back and Peew! what a stink. I have washed my hands about three times, including alcohol sanitiser and still they stink. The whole area is bad. I know it is anaerobic respiration from the soil, but I had no idea the smell could be so strong. I have walked through sweeter smelling bogs than this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483169 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Stink!!
You only need to smell the ground after flood waters have covered it for a week or so, to know that soil stinks.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483182 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Stink!!
Apply a heavy dressing of lime, aerate the area if possible. It does work. :D :D

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483196 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic Stink!!
Just commenting on the smell on your hands - you could try Odorex Fisherman's Soap if you can get your hands on some (any marine shops near you?). This certainly was absolutely brilliant to use when having smelly fishy hands after being out fishing and having processed all the resulting catch :D :D Odorex put out some good products.

www.odorex.co.nz

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483198 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Stink!!
For your hands - you could also try using baking soda mixed in with some liquid soap to get the smell off. Remember to use the Baking Soda/soap under your nails as well.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483207 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Stink!!
Toothpaste rubbed into hands reputedly removes smells from hands

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483232 by boerred
Replied by boerred on topic Stink!!
Sard Wonder Soap works well!

2 Burmese cats (Mr Brown & Minerva), 2 Irish Setters (Rosie & Kirsten), 5 English Setters (Crystal, Holly, Summer & her son Moss & daughter Pansy), 4 stud red Boer goats (Charlie, Fudge, Merlot, her kids Shiraz & Chianti & traditionals Gorgeous & Polly), Boer Marmite, , 1 pony brood mare Ataahua...

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483233 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Stink!!
In the end I just had a soak in the bath and washed my hair, the shampoo seemed to do the trick, although the ground is still stinking and I guess will be for some time and of course the darling cats think it is wonderful....

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #483316 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Stink!!
Can't smell worse than the rotten potatoes I've been sorting out. That takes a bit of cleaning off the hands too.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #483344 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Stink!!
The smell is probably from the dead grass rather than the soil itself. Really pongs after a week or so without sun.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds