Paspalum

More
10 years 1 month ago #37168 by diggs
Paspalum was created by diggs
How do you get rid of Paspalum ?

Kapiti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482752 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Paspalum
We had a lot of stalky paspalum when we moved here last year in Feb as this place had not been grazed or fenced or managed properly ever!!! ....we topped some of the really bad patches of seed heads ...mainly so Mo (my horse) did not get staggers on it ...had a pony many years ago get *drunk* within a very short time span when put in an area of tall and only paspalum pasture so was a tad wary there ...Our sheep got covered in the sticky stuff:([}:)] ...
This year however the sheep and Mo have been grazing it under control and not much seed head getting any chance to appear ..it has actually been quite a God send in the drought conditions we have here again ...it's the only green stuff around :( ..so grazing to control it can help[^]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 1 month ago #482770 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Paspalum
Paspalum is a summer grass, so it is useful when other grasses have gone to seed and died off.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 1 month ago #482780 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Paspalum
Its only useful if you want the grass, if you dont want it on your property then you will see it as a weed irrespective of its appearance in the summer.
It is a problem with staggers at this time of the year which can affect all classes of animals. It is the flowerhead that causes the problem and not the grass itself.
If this is your concern you could perhaps top the flower heads if you cant keep it grazed down,
Selective sprays to get rid of it I believe are very toxic

• Cherry
10 years 1 month ago #482878 by Cherry
Replied by Cherry on topic Paspalum
I was told yesterday you can get a foot long steel pipe witj hole and hammer it through the centre and pull the roots out, or fill a spray bottle with petrol and spray directly onto plant which kills it over night. Some surrounding grass will die but grows back quickly. I will be trying both these approaches on our huge front lawn which has basically just become paspalum this summer. Goodbye lawn!

More
10 years 1 month ago #482882 by googmeister
Replied by googmeister on topic Paspalum
In the lawn I just squirt Roundup into the core of the plant - not sure about control of it in paddocks .

More
10 years 1 month ago #482916 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Paspalum
Or you can just grub out the centre and once the central root system is broken up the plant dies.
I dont think i would want to be pouring petrol on my lawn, but its your choice. It would be quite damaging well below the surface to any micro-organisms and create a somewhat toxic area where it is poured

More
7 years 1 month ago #530655 by noHasl
Replied by noHasl on topic Paspalum
Hello Terralee,

we have just moved to place that is over grown with paspalum that has gone to see and quite a variety of other grasses, quite a bit of clover. Anyway what did you do to get it to a controllable stage? We have 10 acres, tall thick seeded paspalum on at least 3 acres of it. We will be getting some cattle asap, but dont want to graze them on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

More
7 years 1 month ago #530656 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Paspalum
Why don't you want to graze cattle on it? That's all some farms have in mid-summer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

More
7 years 1 month ago #530658 by noHasl
Sorry I do Want to, but I want to deal to the paspalum before I put them in those areas, I'm worried about the staggers as it's all seeeded. I'm wanting to know best methods to get rid of the seed heads?

More
7 years 1 month ago #530662 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Paspalum
Oh don't stop there. Paspalum is not alone in being a possible problem for staggers. How about clearing your paddocks of rye grass and fescue as well and while you are at it, clear out the clover as it can cause bloat. :whistle:

It's not about getting rid of grasses because you have read or heard something about the down side of that grass, but about learning how to work with it and manage pasture so that problems are less likely to occur.

We love our Paspalum at this time of the year. It is one of the grasses we can rely on for green feed. If the seed heads worry you, then top them

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #530663 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Paspalum
What is the terrain like? Can you go over the affected area with a topper to remove the seed heads? That's the only risky part of the paspalum. Topping it will encourage more leaf growth.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Rokker.

More
7 years 1 month ago #530666 by noHasl
Thanks for your help, I wasn't concerned about the paspalum until I read about on here, I was just wondering if I need to remove the heads completely but I will top them as it's flat to a gentle hill easy for tractor, then put the cattle in.

Sound good?

Now I need a tractor with mower, any takers in the whenuapai, kumeu area?

More
7 years 1 month ago #530667 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Paspalum
probably the seeds heads have already formed and if you top it you will effectively spread seed everywhere? Obviously you don't want to graze the most heavily infected areas.
Maybe best to leave it for now and develop a plan for spraying off and resowing in late autumn.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #530718 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Paspalum
We have a couple of areas of paspalum - lovely and green and growing well at the moment unlike most of the other grasses. But if we have any young alpacas that are prone to staggers then they'll get it instantly eating the seed heads, I just chuck some of my big cows through first who 'top' it all and then put the alpacas in to eat the shorter stuff. The big cows dont seem affected by it - I probably wouldn't put young calves in a paddock full of paspalum heads though.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds