signs on gate

More
10 years 1 month ago #482480 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic signs on gate

igor;486324 wrote: Druids steph? Are they not extinct yet?

nah mate.. we keep the dream alive :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482482 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic signs on gate

stephclark;486329 wrote: nah mate.. we keep the dream alive :D

Lol. My MIL was once told unless she converted to "x" she would not go to heaven. She responded well then she most certainly wouldn't be interested in that none of her friends would be there.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482486 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic signs on gate

Name123;486262 wrote: "Private property do not enter" sounds like something that applies to other people. Something like the above, or a worryingly but clearly readable handwritten sign that says "F*CK OFF" might do the trick.

Why don't you go the whole hog and just dress up the entrance like a gang headquarters.
You don't seriously believe that a little profanity works in your favour, do you?
It certainly won't faze the underclasses.
Even if they can read it, they'll intuitively sense that you're very unlikely to threaten them. They might even consider that getting into your place is a patch-winning challenge.
And worse still, the law-abiding majority (who, by default, are naturally on your side) will rightfully view you with measured suspicion, and categorise you as someone who might just come through their gate after midnight.
In my case, I have three wireless sensors on a 500 metre driveway and these signal the arrival of 'visitors' by activating the base unit in the house. This allows me to be aware of and greet all-comers.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482494 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic signs on gate
We had the same problem, I was always worried about the dogs getting run over !! Never found a sign that worked so installed solar powered gates (alot cheaper than we thought it would be), all the family have remote buttons and our friends / postman given the code. Seems to work really well and we feel safer too

More
10 years 1 month ago #482502 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic signs on gate

bevhawkins;486241 wrote: but it seems people either cannot read or choose to ignore.

We have way more than usual this summer...some park at the gateway & walk up, others drive up at night, some think they can park their camper vans on our driveway lawn, others ignore the close at 5 signs & drive up at all hours, others ignore the bright red & white stop sign & keep driving past it, some even wave as they drive past you!

The last night time visitors were eating their KFC!.... the closest KFC is 35mins away! it was either cold or they hadnt found anywhere else suitable to park

The ones before turned up on our deck lost as they had taken a wrong turn...you would think they would have gone 8mins back to their accommodation rather than through our gardens & onto our deck to give us a fright at nearly 10 at night! Nice people though but still!

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 1 month ago #482517 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic signs on gate
Loving the ideas. :)

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
10 years 1 month ago #482525 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic signs on gate
As a child, I remember visiting some people living on Lake Taupo and they had a sign out on their front gate which said "Beware of the Agapanthus". For those not botanically minded, it sounds like one heck of a ferocious beast!

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
10 years 1 month ago #482530 by katieb

hogiehorse;486377 wrote: As a child, I remember visiting some people living on Lake Taupo and they had a sign out on their front gate which said "Beware of the Agapanthus". For those not botanically minded, it sounds like one heck of a ferocious beast!

haha

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 1 month ago #482531 by katieb
My latest NO ENTRY hand painted red & white sign seems to have stopped people coming up our house track(except for the postie of course :)-she knows shes allowed)

Once we get rain we will be painted a no camping one for the gateway

More
10 years 1 month ago #482534 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic signs on gate
OTT from this thread I'm gleaning folk are having more hassles with trespassers than ever before.

We have certainly seen a huge jump in robberies where we are (generally out of the way). Are the rest of you also becoming concerned with similar issues or just tourists wandering about?

More
10 years 1 month ago #482535 by igor
Replied by igor on topic signs on gate
I am of a generally suspicious nature. If I see someone driving slowly past our place I pay particular attention to what they are up to. I've questioned a few and will continue to do so.
A few weeks ago someone tried to steal a tractor from our next door neighbour. He, the neighbour, reckons to be a light sleeper but he didn't hear the thief start two tractors and drive one away a mile or so before crashing off the road causing several thousand dollars worth of damage to the tractor.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482537 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic signs on gate

igor;486387 wrote: I am of a generally suspicious nature. If I see someone driving slowly past our place I pay particular attention to what they are up to. I've questioned a few and will continue to do so.
A few weeks ago someone tried to steal a tractor from our next door neighbour. He, the neighbour, reckons to be a light sleeper but he didn't hear the thief start two tractors and drive one away a mile or so before crashing off the road causing several thousand dollars worth of damage to the tractor.

For a long time now I have wondered why I am the only one who appears to ''see/notice'' odd things happening.

We have a vehicle in the area that is currently wanted by police for questioning re farm robberies, it left a property opposite our place and somewhat ahead of me as I re-locked our gate. Our neighbour waved out to me as I drove past, but doesn't remember seeing the vehicle in front.

Odd. :rolleyes:

More
10 years 1 month ago #482539 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic signs on gate
Hi EV.

The single gate ram mechanism plus 100m of wiring to the house cost $1050. Solar power would have been about the same cost. I installed the unit my self. Family members have remote controls and if we go away we leave a control with a neighbour.
Next big spend will be the Key Pad at the gate with intercom.

More
10 years 1 month ago #482547 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic signs on gate
Hmmm, I think a sign saying "Beware!!! Roaming elephants" would work....as there seems to be many members with hidden herds. :D :D

More
10 years 1 month ago #482549 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic signs on gate
Surely RAMPAGING would be more discouraging?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds